Windows XP End of Support

I'd wager, without looking, that most every os is more memory hungry than previous versions from years past. The hardware running it has advanced so much that it stands to reason that the software would follow course.

As it is, an atom powered tablet with 2gb of ram can run full windows 8 doing basic tasks as well as a spec'd out machine doing the same. I'd say that's telling.

MicroSoft didn't get where they are by being the best, they got there being the most vicious. "Good enough" won the race.

Another nice thing about Ubuntu, startup time is a fraction of Xp. Same with shutdown.
Win 8 is quick, but that's because it is not a full shutdown, only suspension/hibernate.
Laptop battery lasts twice as long running Ubuntu than win. Less dependence on the HDD. So that will last longer.
Got a comp with a bad HDD? Boot Ubuntu from the disk. It doesn't need the HDD. (Faster if it has it tho)
might just give this Ubuntu a try in a few months get bored by july, after nba finals. not being funny.

Madmad- Does this mean I have to dig a basement and work out of there?
how is that going ? take your time......... this is being funny

use a laptop daily with W 7 very little difference from xp imo

Be a while before I get back to Mint. Or digging out the basement. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I bought some of the $45 Windows 8 upgrade specials when it came out, will put it on some of the old XP machines, as soon as I scrounge some more memory out of machines that have been decommissioned. No use buying new hardware for lightly used machines.

might just give this Ubuntu a try in a few months get bored by july, after nba finals. not being funny.

how is that going ? take your time......... this is being funny

use a laptop daily with W 7 very little difference from xp imo

I use Ubuntu here on my computers, a couple of stand-alone and dual boot on the others. It's the easiest to use full distro of Linux that I've found and it's good. A lot of support for it out there too, there's a lot of people using it. I probably wouldn't use win at all if it weren't for my wife and daughter needing to use the computers and playing games.

I probably wouldn't use win at all if it weren't for my wife and daughter needing to use the computers and playing games.
i'm most likely like them. just want to use a puter like i do the TV. you are scaring me off lol

been in computer hell for over a week now. brain concussed.

ended up buying the wife a new W7 unit spent most of yesterday getting it set up for her 90% done.

the older unit is set to go with XP sp 3 w/Norton, like i've said it will just be used for streaming espn3 and the like.

now my main HTPC is still up in the air. don't know what to do with it. have never had a OS go to heck on me.
and now with more thought about it it was used for everything (email, ebay) for a time a couple years back.

how people can do their banking,stocks and other money stuff on these things is even more mind blowing today than ever before. thank God i never got that lazy.

as i have worn the computer man hat as of late.

what is all the memory usage in win 7 ?
my laptop with 6G is using 3.5 to near 5
wifes new 8G
using 2 to 3.5 just setting it up yesterday. even just after starting with no pages going it was eating 1.4 - 1.9 after 5 min.:wtf:

my older XP units had 1G & 2G and i ran the same stuff on them, i crashed them a few times after days of running but still..
hard to understand this phenomenon?

I'd wager, without looking, that most every os is more memory hungry than previous versions from years past.
Not exactly. Window 7 was actually less resource-hungry than its predecessor Windows Vista. The reason being the appearance of underpowered Netbooks. The weakest Netbooks (with 1GB RAM) could run XP and Windows 7, but not Vista.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

no green gb's in this stuff.
20 years in the future : gather round kids grandpa going to tell that story ..... let me tell you i remember when a GiG was a GiG we could do etc etc with it. ;)

this stuff going the way of Stereo equipment. :rant:

Vista IS bad. run windirstat and you'll see the windows directory size is a HOG!
7, is by far better, but not 'as nice' as Xp in this regard.
If you run a Vista machine, suggest an external HDD for your personal files (docs, music, vids etc)
AFAIK, and have found, there's no 'cure' for the hogishness.
Xp, by far, is(was) their best current operating, OS. (User friendly and the least (resource) hoggish) I wonder :confused: does 8 has the same (vista) trait???
8 is an attempt to get smartphone users to buy a computer.
I need a computer to be a computer. Not a toy 'app runner'
Windows Security Essentials:
*While the virus warnings and updates will continue until July 14, 2015, all other support for the software (OS and any other M$ software)— such as bug fixes, free assistance and software upgrades — remains on track to go silent on the targeted cutoff of April 8, 2014.*
windows-xp-anti-malware-support-extended-to-2015
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/windows-xp-anti-malware-support-extended-to-2015-1

I wonder when the first SP update to 8 will be?? (SP-Security PATCH)
Yeah, will admit, Xp was 'full of (security) holes when rushed to release. But with the 'patches', using a non administrator acct, and proper AV and Malwarebytes it's pretty impenetrable unless the operator is a numbscull.

I believe Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and is the most popular Linux distro out there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

But Mint didn't make the unconventional user interface choices that recent versions of Ubuntu did.

Not exactly. Window 7 was actually less resource-hungry than its predecessor Windows Vista. The reason being the appearance of underpowered Netbooks. The weakest Netbooks (with 1GB RAM) could run XP and Windows 7, but not Vista.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

had a Vista unit for a couple of months lucky to sell it at a small loss. best thing about 7 is no 7.1 7.2 etc.
here's hoping 9 will be a winner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)