Winegard GS-2200 Reception Problems

h2oski

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
I have a Winegard GS-2200 and I do not have reliable HD reception. I am 26 miles from the broadcasting antennas. All of the stations are broadcast from the same antenna farm, but I have significantly different signal strengths on different channels. Some have 100% signal strenght on my 622 reciever while others are as low as 62%. Any suggestions on additional amplifiers that I can use to get better signal on the low signal strength channels. My zip code is 53559.

Thanks

h2oski

Last edited:
Welcome to SatGuys!

For the cost of an amp, you would be BEST served by just upgrading to a much better/correct OTA antenna as those gimmick antenna have very suspect range and gain claims aka they under perform compared to other cheaper antennas. Look at something along the lines of the Channel Master CM4228 or Winegard PR 8800 or Antennas Direct DB4; you will find MUCH better results with far less headaches.

charper1,
Thanks for the reply. One problem that I found in my research is that one of my local channels (Fox) which is the one I have the weakest signal on my current setup is a VHF signal. It is broadcast on channel 11. According to one site they say that a UHF antenna usually picks up high vhf, but how well will a UHF antenna work on picking up channel 11. Do I need a UHF/VHF antenna then or do I buy a UHF and then a VHF antenna and use a combiner?

Thanks

h2oski

Last edited:
If it is freq 11, then that FOX is a VHF High. You could try a correctly aimed VHF/UHF combo antenna from a local source like Radio Shack ($39 Model: VU-75XR / Catalog #15-2151) to see if you like it. That way if you don't it will be a very easy return without the shipping and handling both ways.

That is really funny you mentioned that one. I was actually looking at that antenna on Radio Shack's website specifically for the reason of being able to return it if I didn't like it.

Thanks

h2oski

The cm4228 is the only uhf antenna that performs on vhf high but definately not as well as a vhf/uhf combo would (about as good as a silver sensor's performance on uhf to compare performance on ch 11).

ch 11 dbd gain for uhf antennas
cm4228 +5
PR8800 -6
cm 4221 -7
DB-8 -15

v/u75
vhf low +1
high vhf +5 to +6
uhf about +6

hd7082P
6.6 vhf low
10.3 vhf high
12.05 uhf

The antennaweb spec for dark green is -9 dbd outside for vhf high and -6 dbd for uhf.

The cm4228 uhf should work at your home with enough cushion since the channel in question is coded dark green at antennaweb.

The rs u/v 75 should work also since the gain falls within antennaweb tolerance.

Im not a fan of rs stuff but you are the boss...would suggest a winegard hd7082p or the hd7080P

Combining a uhf and vhf is not necessary.

Last edited:
I recommended the CM4228 first, along with other things he might try to locate; I know a few people that have the PR880 working with a VHF High. Anyway l then shot out the RS model because he said something about trying out a combo; so IF he wanted to try cheap combo that he could MAYBE the RS model to test it for a cheap local return. And to this day many areas still make it hard to find a local source selling a selection of name brands of OTA antennas and not everyone wants to go the mail order route. Just because you can find everything doesn't make it so for everyone. Keep you pants on over there, he will get it all working well, without the abusiveness.

Anyway H2OSKI: if you end up needing to go mail order here are some reference charts I added from one website where you can look at and they have a store where you can talk to someone to get exactly what you want inside you budget.

http://www.solidsignal.com/manu/antennasdirect/choose_antenna.asp

http://www.solidsignal.com/channelmaster_antenna_chart.asp

http://www.solidsignal.com/winegard_antenna_chart.asp

http://www.solidsignal.com/manu/antennasdirect/

http://www.solidsignal.com/manu_display.asp?line=prodpage&main_cat=03&manu=Terrestrial Digital

Last edited:
The uhf antennas below may work marginally there also...but an antenna of negative gain in the high vhf band does not turn me on.

PR8800 -6
cm 4221 -7

Sorry guys...I am going to honest.

I do not bother any longer in my area with uhf antennas used to receive high vhf channels. I only use the cm4228 if the customer twists my arm.

I prefer the performance of the combos especially in a bad multipath environment which is common here.

I do the use mileage charts or rely on how an antenna performs on paper.

I install the antenna that works best at the home. And that can be a size or 2 bigger.

please do not take it the wrong way.

You can install whatever antenna you like...I am just not going to suggest it.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this antenna for my application?

Antennas Direct V15

Here is the station and antenna info from antennaweb.

I should have also mentioned that my house is surrounded by woods with trees that are significantly taller than the roof of the house. I think that is why antennaweb gave me violet and blue for my stations.

Attachments

• Antenna.JPG
    Antenna.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
h2oski said:
What do you guys think about this antenna for my application?

Antennas Direct V15

Here is the station and antenna info from antennaweb.

I should have also mentioned that my house is surrounded by woods with trees that are significantly taller than the roof of the house. I think that is why antennaweb gave me violet and blue for my stations.

Looks like it is not enough antenna. Medium range antenna for a fringe or deep fringe application. You can NEVER recover from too weak an antenna with amplification.

If the antenna web results you supplied are any indication of your true antenna needs at your home...you will need a fringe antenna solution.

Your ch 11 digital is rated blue on antenna and I rule the cm4228 out since it may be a risk for stable reception on that channel.

Therefore suggest a fringe rated combination vhf /uhf antenna

Winegard hd7084p (minimum) or hd8200P with hdp269 preamp

The antenna examples you pointed out to us are not rated for the reception challenges you face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)