Winegard SS-1000 vs. SS-2000

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I am about 55 miles south my local stations in Chicago and am looking to buy an OTA antenna, but I'm only concerned in pulling in the UHF stations (primarily WGN). What would the difference be between the non-amplified Winegard SS-1000 and the amplified Winegard SS-2000? Does anyone have any experience with these particular antennas? They advertise a 50+ mile range and the ability to use them both indoors and outdoors, so do you think I will be able to pull in my UHF channels? I am in an apartment so I'm limited to what I can mount outside, so does anyone think this will work or have any other recommendations? Thanks in advance for any info!

I would say go with one of these instead.

Winegard PR 9032
Winegard PR 8800
Winegard HD 9095P
Antennas Direct DB8
Antennas Direct 91XG
Channel Master CM 3020
Channel Master CM 4228

Ideally I would go with one of those, but the antennas you listed are all larger outdoor antennas that I wouldn't be able to mount in my apartment, so I was looking for a more compact option, whether it is an indoor antenna or something small that I can mount to my balcony outdoors.

Being in an apartment and some 55 miles away from the transmitter towers as you say, you best have a DIRECT line of sight to those towers with minimal or no obstructions. If not, you will not get great results with those SS types. If you can, I would buy one from a local retailer with a nice return policy so you can try it out. Are you positive on the distance?

Last edited:
Thats a LONG way for one of these. Definitely go with a local retailer with a great return policy and make sure during the install to kepp EVERYTHING, even any wire ties and a perfect box.

Super Bowl won't be available in high definition

COX will launch MTV-HD on debut day on 1/16/2006

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts