Wireless Networking Issue

Steve Mehs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Marilla, NY
Okay I’m super excited, my laptop just arrived, got it configured and everything, now I want to hop online. I’m running Windows 7 Professional 64, when I try to connect to my wireless network I get a prompt in the bottom right hand side asking me to enter a Username and Password. What username and password are they talking about? I tried entering the username and password I just created for the machine and it’s a no go. Why do I have to go through this? Why can’t I just enter my WEP key and be done with it?

Last time I connected a computer wirelessly I was using Windows 2000 and all I had to do was enter my key and I was on. I'm really hating the whole Windows 7 UI and need to download Classic Shell before I smash something.

Didn't you enter your WEP key when you first configured to connect to your network? Are you sure you're connecting to YOUR network?

Nope, never entered anything. The Wireless Networking icon appeared in the System Tray when I first booted up, I clicked on it and got the prompt shown below. And there is no doubt I'm connecting to my network as there are no oher wireless network around as I live in a rural area there is only one other house I can see from my property and that would be out of range for wifi. I've been running unsecured.

Tried both the Windows Wireless Networking and the one provided by Sony, neither has done anything for me.

unledtjz.png

This looks like RADIUS authentication and/or attempt to make changes from a limited account.
Try disable/enable of the wireless radio (in Win7, not with a case button if you have one).

Diogen.

UBee DDW3611 DOSCSIS 3 Cable Modem. Router is a Linksys WRT600N. I don't use wifi for anything unless I'm forced to, never had any problems with my PDAs, Smartphones, PS3, or my old Compaq PC purchased in '99 running Windows 2000. I don't understand what username and password Windows could possibly want.

Did you setup your router yourself? Or did you use the push-this-button setup?
It has dual radios. Are both active? Use same policies? What frequencies?
None of your other devices has a clue about 802.11N. Your new laptop will try connecting to it first.

I wouldn't be surprised if modern laptops refuse to connect to WEP protected routers...

Diogen.

Looks like it was a WEP thing. I just switched over to WPA2-PSK and all is well. Never used anything stronger then WEP before because my older PDA wouldn’t support it. I haven’t used it in years so I guess I have no reason now not to use WPA2. Laptop, printer and Evo all now configured with the WPA2 passphrase. The internet speeds took a huge hit though. Wireless with no encryption gave me 30Mb+, now I can barely pull in 11Mb down. Oh well, not a big issue, most of the time I will be hardwired.

Thanks for all the help and ideas guys, much apperciated.

Wow, that is quite a difference in speed. Makes me want to consider running one wireless network for stuff that doesn't need to be secured (ie streaming netflix and PS3 gaming) and another for stuff that I do care about. Is this typical? I haven't run anything without WPA2 in years and didn't realize it would have such an impact.

Wow, that is quite a difference in speed. Makes me want to consider running one wireless network for stuff that doesn't need to be secured (ie streaming netflix and PS3 gaming) and another for stuff that I do care about. Is this typical? I haven't run anything without WPA2 in years and didn't realize it would have such an impact.
First ... nothing open ... because if you do so, anyone around your location within half a mile could mess with you easily .. let alone anyone malicious, or anyone just wanting free access.

But yes.. you *can* run multiple wireless networks. I use my Cisco Linksys 2100L for my gateway .. it also allows laptops. I have a bridged wireless network from one side of the house, to the other, on Buffalo N based routers ... the other side of the house I have my 722k dish box, my Bluray, my Wii (turned off wireless), my Onkyo AV reciver (absolutely freakin' awesome hearing RadioParadise.com through 7.1) and one of my older PC's all hooked at the far side through the second wireless network.

Now when I'm in my back office, watching the Sling Adapter on my receiver ... 8 megs of traffic doesn't have a hit on my primary router, just the secondary network, and it doesn't cause problems on the wireless network because that secondary is N based and my main is still G.

WOW; when did RadioParadise / SHOUTcast star streaming in more than two channel audio? Can only imagine the bandwidth that must eat.

First ... nothing open ... because if you do so, anyone around your location within half a mile could mess with you easily .. let alone anyone malicious, or anyone just wanting free access.

But yes.. you *can* run multiple wireless networks. I use my Cisco Linksys 2100L for my gateway .. it also allows laptops. I have a bridged wireless network from one side of the house, to the other, on Buffalo N based routers ... the other side of the house I have my 722k dish box, my Bluray, my Wii (turned off wireless), my Onkyo AV reciver (absolutely freakin' awesome hearing RadioParadise.com through 7.1) and one of my older PC's all hooked at the far side through the second wireless network.

Now when I'm in my back office, watching the Sling Adapter on my receiver ... 8 megs of traffic doesn't have a hit on my primary router, just the secondary network, and it doesn't cause problems on the wireless network because that secondary is N based and my main is still G.

WOW; when did RadioParadise / SHOUTcast star streaming in more than two channel audio? Can only imagine the bandwidth that must eat.
They don't.. but the upconversion, all channel stereo, Pro Logic and simulated surround sound modes are freakin' awesome ;)

TG2 said:
stupid me not re-reading at 3 am-ish ... I meant the primary router & its wireless for the laptops (G based) is uneffected by the constant 8 meg of traffic from the sling adapter because its off on the second wireless network (the N) thus no slowness for 54G, and I get no "T man, you killin' the network again?" :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)