Wireless under attack!

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I like this company.

And not only because it has good scientists onboard, but because in its free time it doesn't mind teaching some countries what a POS legislation like DMCA can be...:)

Anyway.
Some $1,200 will buy you a brute force WPA2 PSK breaking program that utilizes the GPU...
ElcomSoft turns your laptop into a one-touch WiFi cracking system -- Engadget

And I'd bet that just like in the old PDF password breaking times, "clandestine" companies will be their primary customers...:)

Just find a spare box and set up a RADIUS server...

Diogen.

Not that I really have any top secret information, but I have long complex passwords for my WiFi. The only downfall is that they are a pain to enter without a keyboard. It takes a few minutes to type it into an iPhone having to toggle characters/numbers/symbols.

I figure it is hard enough to keep any casual person(s) away. Why break mine when you can go a short distance and get "password" to work. If it is the government they could secretly enter and plant monitoring devices.

I still see it of limited use. Big companies that I have seen isolate wifi from the rest of the network. Essentially they treat it as the internet, you have to log in via an encrypted connection VPN. So, the wifi security is only a formality. All the data going over the connection is encrypted as a VPN. They do not want to risk having one device with spyware capturing all the network traffic.

To keep a tab on your wireless communication requires dedication...
Your passwords can be very "un-guessable" but what good do they do if you, for example, have your phone remember it?

Being dedicated is tiring.
After a while you either reconsider what really requires high level protection or you drop using wireless alltogether...

Anyway, that isn't the point of this piece of news the way I see it.
Instead, there existed a common belief that consumer routers running stock (or 3-rd party) firmware offer decent security if you spend not more than one hour configuring it.

That notion is out of the window!

Who was running unsecured routers will continue to do so.
But those who thought to have a decent setup for $200 bucks or so would have to think twice.

Again, it isn't about whether you have something to lose. Or to hide.
It is about using locks that can be opened with a fingernail.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)