WIRELESS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

O'Doyle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Ridgeland, South Carolina
Hey all! just wanted to know if the is a wireless set up between your dish and the receiver/positioner that can be used, or have any of you tried this idea before?. Reason for asking is that where i live right now, where i would like to put my dish is quite a distance from where my apartment is, ( haven't measured it out yet to get exact footage) but i know i would have a rather long run of cable between the dish and the receiver, would like any advice or suggestions you all have. I plan on measuring it out this weekend to see exactly what footage i am looking at. Thanks! Christopher

A STB with LAN control and viewing (or a LAN based DVBS tuner) could be installed at the dish. You would need a power source and quality WiFi device at the dish in weatherized box.

I have done something similar with my OTA antenna using a SiliconDust ATSC tuner.

The Amiko STBs are capable of LAN streaming and control as are several other brands and models (like TBS MOI), but I would only go this route if there was no other option. I would rather do a complex 300+ foot coax run before considering this option.

Tempting to avoid the long cable runs with some type of wireless setup but then you have to deal with interference, provision of some type of power source at the dish for the actuator/lnb. Seems like it would get pretty complicated compared to just digging a small trench and running a few wires. Interesting idea though.:) The run from my dishes to the receiver is about 140 feet - no issues.

^ yeah i see what you mean, probably the long run of coax is going to be my best shot, just have a small issue, i need to figure out how to run the coax across a small portion of parking lot without having the neighbors being concerned about it. :confused:

Pardon my crude drawing. It would lengthen your coax run but can you go around the parking lot (solid line) instead of over (broken line)?
CoaxOverPrkLot.jpg

if i had to guess maybe a 12ft. section and yes possibly cars passing over it, but just had a thought if i could use two support pieces to lift it up on both sides of the driveway so it would not be driven over that might be better.

if i had to guess maybe a 12ft. section and yes possibly cars passing over it, but just had a thought if i could use two support pieces to lift it up on both sides of the driveway so it would not be driven over that might be better.
Gonna snow here - Winter Storm Warning for 5-8". :( Does the driveway have any expansion joints cut into it? If so, and they are wide enough, it may be possible to fit a coax cable down inside the joint and cover with sealant. Kinda like this:
ExpnsnCoax.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they mention driveway and sidewalk but it would definitely be a much bigger job for 12' of driveway vs 3' of sidewalk. Hopefully you can come up with a workable solution. Keep us posted! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts