Woman Angry Over High Definition Hassle

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Woman Angry Over High Definition Hassle

TOLEDO -- Interested in satellite TV service? One angry customer says before you sign up, watch out for broken promises.
Carolyn Peabody bought a new high definition TV and wanted to sign up for HD service so she would get the best picture possible. Peabody says a satellite company promised her everything for a great price.
But after signing up, she says the satellite service couldn't deliver. "The salesperson indicated that their price was a little less than cable," said Peabody.
That contact was when she first got connected with satellite service. But before she dropped cable and signed up, Carolyn wanted a guarantee. "I said am I gonna get same HD programming as before? They said 'yes,'" she says.
But when Carolyn tried to tune in channel 11 in high definition, she got a blank screen. The truth is, local stations like WTOL are not broadcast in high def through a satellite at your house. Satellite subscribers must have a separate antenna -- and the signal isn't always reliable.
When Carolyn found out, she tried to cancel. "They informed me since I had a two-year contract, I would have to pay the rest of that contract," she said.
That's when Carolyn called 11 for action. "You seem to get results. Whether it's monetary or just making it right," said Carolyn.
"I just wanted other people to know, it's not what they say it is. You better have some backup," she said.
News 11 contacted Buckeye Cable Wednesday. The company promised to pick up Carolyn's $200 tab for breaking her satellite contract. They're also going to put in a new HD cable box at Carolyn's house. The company is also waving the installation fee.

The average J6P does not do their research very carefully and some people may believe the sellers when they say, "you will get everything". You will hear more of these stories as mis-informed consumers make the transition to HDTV. Where is my INHD? Where is my PBS-HD, where is my UPN-HD? No where to be found at satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts