Wonder why rates increase here is one reason.

The problem isn't when the customer calls me, I explain to them what's covered and what's not covered. The problem is when they call Dish and Dish just sends out the work order. I don't want to go too deep into this because this is more of a retailer and Dish thing and their is already a long conversation on the Dish Portal about it.

I try to tell people that if my tech gets to your house and finds out it's not a warranty issue then I'm going to bill you the $95 tech visit fee. I've gotten to the point where I don't even recommend that my customers keep the protection plan because it only seems to cause headaches. If a customer calls me and says they have the protection plan but didn't get their Dish from me I tell them to call Dish or I have to charge $95.
I'm confused did those customers came to you for setup and installation?
and if they have the PP shouldn't it be covered for the service call regardless if it's out of warranty or whatever the case may be? Minus negligence of course.

Does retailers work differently in that regard ? Do you call Dish to confirm PP from customer or do they do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm confused did those customers came to you for setup and installation
and if they have the PP shouldn't it be covered for the service call regardless if it's out of warranty or whatever the case may be? Minus negligence of course.

Does retailers work differently in that regard ? Do you call Dish to confirm PP from customer or do they do that?

i get all kinds of customers that call me up for service. Most of them got their Dish from us originally but we still get plenty of people that call us up for service even they they signed up with Dish directly or called some number on a direct mail piece. If the customer signed up through me I look up their account to check to see if they have the protection plan and then I make sure they I and collected money from Dish to cover the plan. If everything checks out ok we go ahead and take care of them and charge the $10 tech fee.

If the customer has the protection plan but didn't sign up for it through me I charge them the full rate or tell them to call Dish. I can't afford to pay my tech to do a service call and not get reimbursed by someone else, such as the customer or Dish.

Well then educate that customer don't have to be a di-k about it
Tell them the Do's and Don't about the service if you're patient enough,
You could also explain how PP works and what is or isn't included.

That is sort of what is being discussed. It is clear in the RSA but customers still assume that they don't have to do anything and it's all free no matter what. You could explain it all day long and customers still do not agree or understand.

I think customers that were previously on cable systems thought that everything is free when something goes wrong
Even remote control which it is I would guess.

Probably thought it was VIP status for PP customers and could call at anytime even at night.

But not everybody can work a remote control unless there's some instructions or installers take them step by step.

But I agree some aren't the sharp end of the stick.

I can understand that, but if they do want that outside the inital install, it is too costly to continuously send a tech out for that for free. With the PP, it is $10, and they still do not want to pay that. If it is simple questions, they can also go into a local retailer who usually has no problem explaining to them in person the simple features.

I can understand that, but if they do want that outside the inital install, it is too costly to continuously send a tech out for that for free. With the PP, it is $10, and they still do not want to pay that. If it is simple questions, they can also go into a local retailer who usually has no problem explaining to them in person the simple features.
They could sometimes waive that fee but that's why they have your phone number if you gave that person a card for ANY questions they need help
Then explain that even having the PP they charge but a lower cost instead of the full charge amount.

They might not like it but that's how it works.
Anything else but to show up all the time to their house.

Thats how it is supposed to be(minus it is not a DISH policy to offer the tech phone number but many techs do it anyways. Im guessing it may be up to the shops discretion.)

Most retailers want the customer to call them at all costs instead of calling Dish. This way we can take care of the customer's needs and explain the situation to them better. As simple as that sounds, we retailers are not open 24/7 and customers are not always very patient when it comes to their luxuries. They like to call into Dish at 11pm on a Friday night and schedule a service call for Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. I won't fault the customer for the day the service call is scheduled because typically it's the Dish CSR that picks the day and not the customer.

I just had this happen to me last weekend. Work order gets sent to me Friday night and is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. I was not at work obviously and tried to accept the work order on my home laptop but the site wasn't working. Since I was getting a rare Saturday off of work to go to the Iowa football game I couldn't do anything about it Saturday morning because I was up at 4:30am to head to the game.

As a tech, there are truly customers out there that cannot troubleshoot. They usually are elderly, handicapped mentally or physically, or just can't follow instructions verbally. I went to a trouble call yesterday, guys water heater broke so he screwed with the diplexer and swapped the lines. Of course he's not paying a dime for his mistake.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I will tel you this....Some customers absolutely refuse to help themselves.
I refer to the customer who is on the phone with a call center and being asked to do little things such as "push this button on the front of your receiver"....They won't do it.
I was a tech for many years. I cannot begin to count the number times the problem was dead batteries, tv on incorrect input(even with the remote in limited mode) receiver unplugged from power outlet, software out of date because they never shut down the receiver....All kinds of nonsense.

You have 5 types of customers...

A) the ones where it's easier to send out a technician then even attempt to try to explain how to fix it over the phone.

B) the ones who refuse to troubleshoot, but will quickly change their attitude when they find out they will be charged for s tech visit.

C) the ones who refuse to troubleshoot and try to get a tech out for free.

D) the ones who don't want to trouble shoot and would rather just pay a technician.

E) the ones who go through all the steps and Truely need a service call

Most retailers want the customer to call them at all costs instead of calling Dish. This way we can take care of the customer's needs and explain the situation to them better. As simple as that sounds, we retailers are not open 24/7 and customers are not always very patient when it comes to their luxuries. They like to call into Dish at 11pm on a Friday night and schedule a service call for Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. I won't fault the customer for the day the service call is scheduled because typically it's the Dish CSR that picks the day and not the customer.

I just had this happen to me last weekend. Work order gets sent to me Friday night and is scheduled for Saturday afternoon. I was not at work obviously and tried to accept the work order on my home laptop but the site wasn't working. Since I was getting a rare Saturday off of work to go to the Iowa football game I couldn't do anything about it Saturday morning because I was up at 4:30am to head to the game.

You can't get to all of them.

Unless I'm running the service call myself, sometimes it's better to reject it and just pay the $100 as I'm paying my tech $65 to go out there anyways.

A lot of the ones I used to reject where the ones where we have already been out to the customers home several times for nonsense issues like replacing batteries in remote controls. Pay the $100 penalty to Dish once, and they are rolling all future service calls for that customer going forward

You have 5 types of customers...

A) the ones where it's easier to send out a technician then even attempt to try to explain how to fix it over the phone.

B) the ones who refuse to troubleshoot, but will quickly change their attitude when they find out they will be charged for s tech visit.

C) the ones who refuse to troubleshoot and try to get a tech out for free.

D) the ones who don't want to trouble shoot and would rather just pay a technician.

E) the ones who go through all the steps and Truely need a service call

F) the ones who handle most things themselves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't get to all of them.

Unless I'm running the service call myself, sometimes it's better to reject it and just pay the $100 as I'm paying my tech $65 to go out there anyways.

A lot of the ones I used to reject where the ones where we have already been out to the customers home several times for nonsense issues like replacing batteries in remote controls. Pay the $100 penalty to Dish once, and they are rolling all future service calls for that customer going forward

I do not get a lot of work orders in a month so the most I can miss is one. If I miss more than one I lose my residuals for the next quarter. That costs me thousands of dollars.

Had a customer last week get over $600 in credits on their bill, PLUS a free truck roll to hook up her receiver correctly after she moved it to the other side of the room. That can't help the profits much...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Wow. Dish must really want to keep her, why I don't know. Maybe she's a commissioner at the FCC.