Worth re-upping for 24 months?

jfkittredge

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Tucson, AZ
My initial two years is almost done (April, I believe). I am definitely staying with Dish, but am trying to decide whether to re-up for a new two year commitment, or to simply go month-to-month. Is there any incentive to signing a new contract? I didn't see anything readily available on the Dish website, so I couldn't figure out why anyone would sign on for a new two year commitment.

Your collective insight is much appreciated!

I'm fairly new to all this dish stuff, but it sounds like to me the only incentive to go to a new contract is if you are trying to get a free HD upgrade or something like that. If you're sticking with your current stuff as-is, it seems like month to month is the way to go. A new contract won't get you the new customer rates again or anything like that as far as I'm aware.

My initial two years is almost done (April, I believe). I am definitely staying with Dish, but am trying to decide whether to re-up for a new two year commitment, or to simply go month-to-month. Is there any incentive to signing a new contract? I didn't see anything readily available on the Dish website, so I couldn't figure out why anyone would sign on for a new two year commitment.

Your collective insight is much appreciated!

Why would you need a new contract? Are you planning on getting a VIP 922 or something?

You don't need to, nor would I. Wait till you need something like an upgrade of equipment and receiver, etc....

I agree with other replies, unless Dish requires you to renew the contract for some perk there's no reason to do it just because. We renewed our contract to get HD 4 Life, which now that we're looking at cutting our bills back I'm not sure was such a good deal since they said it'll be a $190 ETF if I leave ($10 per month left on contract for HD 4 Life). Honestly with Netflix, Red Box, Hulu, and I'm now looking at adding an FTA system, I'm starting to question whether or not spending $75/mo on Dish is worth it.

I agree with other replies, unless Dish requires you to renew the contract for some perk there's no reason to do it just because. We renewed our contract to get HD 4 Life, which now that we're looking at cutting our bills back I'm not sure was such a good deal since they said it'll be a $190 ETF if I leave ($10 per month left on contract for HD 4 Life). Honestly with Netflix, Red Box, Hulu, and I'm now looking at adding an FTA system, I'm starting to question whether or not spending $75/mo on Dish is worth it.

Just go with one of the standard lower priced packages and ride out the rest of the contract. The 190 is an ETF but not for HD for Life. PLatinum is 10 extra per month.

Just go with one of the standard lower priced packages and ride out the rest of the contract. The 190 is an ETF but not for HD for Life. PLatinum is 10 extra per month.

Yeah we will probably do that so we have the option to move back up if ever need be without a contract and also with HD 4 Life.

As for the ETF when chatting with a CSR they told me the $190 was due to 19 months left in the contract at $10/month for HD For Life which is how it's calculated. And it'll go down $10/month until our contract is out at which time we'd get HD from then on with no fees or contract. Not sure, that's just how they explained it to me on how it worked.

If your ETF is $10/month, that probably is because you used Dish 'n it up to upgrade some equipment. Currently except under DIU, it is $17.50/month I believe.

I keep the contract extensions just for those times I want something new in hardware. It usually isn't needed otherwise. Month to month is just fine, and you can still ask for and sometimes get, some freebies or discounts in programming without a contract coming into play.

If your ETF is $10/month, that probably is because you used Dish 'n it up to upgrade some equipment. Currently except under DIU, it is $17.50/month I believe.

When signing up for HD for Life, it specifically said there would be a $240 ETF that goes down $10 per month. Nothing to do with upgrading equipment.

I have no idea, nor do I care. When they first started offering HD for Life, those of us with HD and HD Platinum were shifted to HD for Life automagically with no action nor obligation on our part if we were already on auto-pay.

But I'd say that what was in it for Dish is the same thing that the free Starz for a year brings to the table. Another reason for us to stay with Dish since it was a freebie we didn't have to call and negotiate over. Call it a free warm and fuzzy!! :)

Right. If I remember how it went. At first HD and HD Platinum each had a price, then they started giving away HD Platinum, then they gave away HD for Life and charged for HD Platinum.

So basically it was $20 for both for a bit, then $10 for one or the other and one being free, now it is $10 for HD Platinum and the HD access is free for life.

That's not how it went for me. I was paying $10 each for HD and HD platinum for a long time, up until late October when I became fed up with rising costs and called them to cancel. After some negotiating with retention, they gave me HDFFL "free" but added a 10-month commit worth $10 per month. I cancelled platinum altogether b/c we just don't watch those channels now with so many more HD options.

Just saying that it was far from automatic for some.

increase OTA

Watch out 922 will erase EHDs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts