Would you drop the VOOM Channels to save $10/month?

Would you opt out of the VOOM channels to save $10/month?

• I prefer to pay $20/month for the present HD pack with VOOM

Votes: 109 45.4%
  • I prefer to pay $10/month for the present HD *minus* the 15 VOOM channels

Votes: 131 54.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Is there any reason to believe that VOOM accounts for $10 of the $20 fee.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I guess I missed the previous reference. But since we have no idea if that isa valid price is there much point to all this?

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I think I've covered what the point was about 3 or 4 times in the thread. It was to gauge the perceived value of VOOM to E*'s HD subs. If subs were given the option of having HD for $10 or HD w/VOOM for $20, and a goodly percentage of them would still pay the $20, then that shows that the VOOM tier is seen as having significant value.

I was surprised by how many said yes, they would pay the extra $10/month for VOOM.

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
I like the VOOM channels and RUSH HD is one of my favorites. I also like EQUATOR and World Sports for the Soccer games. I hate HD NEWS channel and I am surprised it is surviving. All in all I would give VOOM channels a 7 out of 10.

I wouldn't drop them to save $10.

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
VOOM HDNews is one of those channels that has left me scratching my head the past three years thinking how it could have been really good (certainly filled a niche market)...if only they had invested a little more time and money in the production. I really like some of the VOOM channels (especially Cinema10), but VOOM has always been the proverbial chicken vs. the egg: VOOM would spend money producing new and innovative content as they gain subscribers; however, VOOM cannot gain new subscribers since cable or DirecTV did not have the bandwidth to support adding 15 or 21 HD channels; Rainbow Media shoots themselves in the foot by not making a few of their more popular channels available to Cable systems (RAVE, Monsters, WorldSport, etc.) - it was the "whole ball of wax" or nothing. Heck, I have no doubt they would have been carried by Verizon FiOS last spring if only they would have offered a scaled-down version of VOOM HD. Here's a variety package I would to see offered on FiOS:

- MonstersHD
- RAVE
- VOOM Sports (compilation of WorldSport and RushHD)
- VOOM Cinema (compilation of FilmFest and FamilyRoom)
- VOOM Grabass (variety of all other channels)

One can only wonder about the terms and conditions of the VOOM/Dish Network partnership.:confused:

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2004
I didn't get to vote so....

I like Voom and I think they are worth $10 a month. I watch Rave, MonsterHD, FungFu and the gameHD channels the most.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well I think VOOM is Great! They show HD Content that you wont see any where else.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I do believe that the Voom channels account for $10.00 of the $20.00 hd pack. Because if you look back they added 10 Voom channels origionally and only upped the price by 5.00. Then they added 5 more voom channels and the price for hd went from $14.99 to $20.00. Dish is invested in Voom so they have to charge the extra $10.00 to make up for the price somewhere.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Yep. And it's worth it to me. Obviously it's not appreciated by all, though. I don't see Voom becoming optional, though.

joemreeves

Jan 16, 2006
No. I want all the channels I can get. Would like to see the "Gunslinger" channel. I also want more HD channels available like encore HD; Cinemax HD. When will the Encore Western channel go HD? TCM in HD would be a most welcome edition. Hallmark HD would be good but only if it is not the Matlock, McBride; Perry Mason channel like the SD version is.

622 picture breakup

Time change related bug? 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)