Would you lease or own Voom DVR (when it arrives) ?

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
I would like to take a poll and see what people would prefer to do when Voom releases its DVR.

I'd like to see both options available. It is awfully difficult to commit to a purchase when we don't know how much the DVR will be. Maybe they could get creative and offer a lease to own program.

I would definitely choose the lease option. I think that would make it easier if you needed to exchange a faulty box AND if I decided to drop V* and switch to another provider (highly unlikely) it would make more sense to me not to own the box. If things continued to go well, I might consider a purchase down the line.

I would only consider owning if a) they were affordably priced, b) I actually owned the box...meaning VOOM changed their equipment activation policy so I could sell it with a clear conscience if I so choose. Other possible considerations are c) how long will VOOM be around and d) firewire/USB support for adding inexpensive storage as needed.

I would certainly lease the box as this time, but I strongly support both the lease and purchase options. Only time will tell. Speaking of time...I heard the DVR will be out this time next week. :D :rolleyes: :haha

Riffjim4069:

Where did you here that the DVR is going to be released mid next week?

I would lease before the E* buyout of Voom and buy afterwards. A grand is a lot of cash to flush down the toilet if Voom is bought and the new company doesnt want to support the DVR.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lease is NOT an option.
No other satellite company is leasing their HD-DVR.
Get ready to shell out between $500 - $1000 to own.

They also said firewire would be on the box Walter ;). Seriously though, I would want to see the hardware. In certain cases I might want to own it, specifically if I could then hack it to add a larger harddrive or something.

I would never buy something that I could not resell. And Voom's current policies make it so that you can't re-activate a used box. I'ld have to lease the DVR just for that reason alone.

-John

Lease by all means. $1 to install and $5 per month per STB That is a deal even Scrooge would love!

I forgot this poll was for the DVR. When it comes if it ever does I would lease until Voom gives them away.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

The Stone Man said:
I'd like to see both options available. It is awfully difficult to commit to a purchase when we don't know how much the DVR will be. Maybe they could get creative and offer a lease to own program.
I voted for both options, but would preffer to purchase. And, I agree with the Stone Man.

Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease Lease

The Stone Man said:
The post above is Sean's response to the 156 times he's been asked whether he would lease or purchase.
Did you count them all? If so, Are you sure you didn't miss a few? Maybe you counted them several times.

I'd not really seen the power of the DVR until my friend's wife, who is not too technical, showed me what she has been doing with her D* DVR. Way better way to manage your viewing.

That said, I would opt for the lease. I am concerned about the long term viability of V*. That's why I lease the STBs.

I'd hate to buy one and then have it become a dinosaur.

I have no chioce ...if they dont have a leasing option....then I cant afford it right now. I would like to see a very nice low cheap monthly lease fee. Nice and low and nice and cheap....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts