X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

A rep from Konami has declared that no, Konami isn't going to stop making console games.

http://www.destructoid.com/konami-rep-we-re-still-definitely-working-on-console-games--312143.phtml

Good luck to whoever tries to make the next Metal Gear game without Kojima. I don't know anything about the series but I do know that people will trash a sequel made without him whether it actually deserves to be trashed or not. Even if people try to be as fair as possible they still know in the back of their head the guy behind the rest of the series wasn't involved.

I really don't care whether Konami keeps making games or not though. There are very few Japanese game franchises I still care about. They used to dominate the industry but most of the stuff I'm drawn to are western games. Even the RPG genre has been taken over by the west. Final Fantasy used to be the king but series like Fallout, Mass Effect, and The Witcher have left it in the dust.

I still play some Japanese games. Persona 4 on the Vita is great and I'm looking forward to Persona 5. I loved DmC. I wanted to play Ni No Kuni for a long time but since backwards compatibility on PS4 doesn't exist that probably will never happen. The Japanese still seem to be pretty good at the horror genre too. It's too bad Konami never let Kojima turn P.T. into a full game. Capcom and especially Konami just don't have the same draw that they used to.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that people are pining for Konami to keep making full console releases, because it's been pretty damn clear as of late that they don't care like they used to. We haven't had a proper Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 3, which came out in 2003 (although to be fair Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a pretty good game IMO) because they keep farming development out to random Western companies that don't understand how horror games work. As far as Castlevania goes, we've either had clones of Symphony of the Night (a good game but the formula does get stale after a while) or clones of God of War. And their series of shooters (Life Force, Gradius, Contra, etc) have been COMPLETELY MIA for longer than I can remember. Oh, and they also own Hudson Soft's IPs, so we haven't had any new Adventure Islands or Bomberman games (although at least they haven't tried to resurrect Milon's Secret Castle.) This has been coming for a while, but it's just gotten exacerbated by the Metal Gear/Hideo Kojima drama of this year.

More than anything, the idea of Konami ceasing regular console development is just sad, because it's like the end. First off it's the end of a great legacy of a once beloved game developer. I mean Konami really blossomed during the NES era, becoming so big that they set up "dummy" companies to release more games in a year to get around Nintendo's rules that limited how many games could be released by a company in a year (as examples, Metal Gear and TMNT are technically from Ultra Games and don't carry the Konami label.) And whereas other companies like Ubisoft (which started off as a hacked game company), EA, Activision, and Capcom are still making mainstream games, seeing Konami absent from that just seems off. It's not like Acclaim or THQ, where the companies died due to bad business decisions. Instead, Konami is a very healthy (from a financial standpoint) company with many beloved varied franchises, and the idea that we're not going to see anymore games from these series, or even potential reboots/reimaginings is sad.

I suppose the best we could hope for is that Konami decides to just throw all the IPs out to various developers and let them do what they want with them. I mean Metal Gear Rising was pretty damn good and that was developed by Platinum Games. Or even if we could just get a good porting company to resurrect some of their lesser known games that most people missed. I mean Snatcher is one of my favorite games of all time, and I never got a chance to play Policenauts (as did no one who lived outside of Japan) which people said was basically Snatcher but better (Both games were made by Hideo Kojima.) But instead, odds are we're just going to see crappy mobile games using their IPs that are littered with microtransactions. Hell, look what they've done with Castlevania and Silent Hill already with Pachinko. Or then again maybe they'll abandon game development completely and just sell off all their IPs to companies that want them and will do things with them. And then shortly after that we'll have peace in the middle east and government officials that we can genuinely trust.

Edit: Looks like Policenauts is "available" on the Internet. Looks like I have something to tide me over until the new Tony Hawk and Uncharted Collection.

Yeah, it would be nice if they sold off their IP but there is no way they will. If they did they wouldn't be able to use those franchises on pachinko and mobile games. The best chance of seeing new games from their IP is your example of Metal Gear Rising. They can let outside developers like Platinum make games with their IP and publish the finished product.

That will probably save some money over making them with their own internal studios and they can still take the payout if they sell well.

Wow... claiming that the campaign is "Too Ambitious for last gen consoles to handle," Black Ops 3 for 360/PS3 will NOT feature a campaign mode.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/25/9397629/call-of-duty-black-ops-3-no-campaign-ps3-xbox-360

I'm all for it. The PS4/Xbox One have been out for almost two years now. I don't want my games held back because they are trying to make something that can also be ported to a 10 year old console with 512MB of RAM. Eventually 360/PS3 owners need to upgrade if they expect to keep getting new games.

Here's the only thing I fault Activision for in this case. If the PS3 and 360 aren't capable of running this game's campaign they shouldn't be releasing the game at all on those platforms. I know that they are doing it for the big install base but announcing that there will be no campaign less than two months before release when they probably already got tons of pre-orders seems pretty damn dishonest.

Plenty of people will buy this without knowing this happened because the mainstream audience doesn't read Polygon and other gaming websites every day. They should also be dropping the price by more than $10 to reflect the lack of campaign. I'm okay with a publisher charging $60 for a multiplayer only game if they are upfront that that's what they are doing and there is enough content there. Call of Duty probably has enough content since many people only buy it for the multiplayer but I don't feel that they were upfront about this.

Well the PS4/One versions wouldn't have been affected in the sense that Treyarch is only making the current gen versions. The last-gen versions are being outsourced. The only reason they're still releasing for last gen is their massive install base and these games are so expensive that they need to recoup as much as they can. I do agree though that it is time to move on. At this point there's not even any parity with current/last gen. It's not just a graphical difference, you're getting different games.

They're not just charging $10 less. They're also throwing in the original Black Ops for free.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 will be available for a suggested retail price of $49.99 and include a bonus download for the original Call of Duty: Black Ops (bonus download availability may vary by region), the game that launched this series.

I do agree that it should be more like $40, although giving BO for free is pretty nice. Still, I'm more than willing to bet you just get the standard version with none of the DLC. To be fair, I didn't find the DLC maps in BO to be that great. They weren't BAD, but except for like 3 maps the rest of them were throwaways.

I do think it's safe to say that this will be the last CoD on last gen consoles. There really aren't any last and current gen releases anymore with the exception of a few sports games, and those are really just roster updates. Of course, the idea of charging people $60 for literally just roster updates is really a d*ck move.

Some guy found a used original Xbox Dev kit that had an unreleased South Park game on it. It was still a work in process, but it's still a fascinating story. Looks like they were aiming for something similar to Simpson Hit and Run

The first Xbox Holiday Bundle announced is the Tomb Raider Bundle. You get Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and a 1TB HDD for $400.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/09/xbox-one-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-bundle

And FYI, please post news about new consoles/bundles in this thread as opposed to the PS4/Xbox One owners thread. If we already own the consoles, we don't need to be told about new editions/bundles. We already have them. ;p

No platform exclusive DLC for Fallout 4

This is how it should be. I'm sick of paying the same amount of money as other people and getting less content because of the platform I chose. I'm still mad about Dragon Age Inquisition's timed release DLC. If I had finished the game before I wrote up my game of the year list for 2014 Dragon Age would have been my choice. I still haven't played the DLC because it came out on PS4 months after it came out on Xbox One and PC.

Destiny is my go to game at the moment and I'm playing on Xbox One because I know a couple people who play it on that platform. PS4 gets exclusive weapons, strikes, and PvP maps and they have the balls to keep them exclusive for a year. Xbox One owners just got stuff a couple weeks ago that PS4 owners have had since the base game launched in September last year.

The Taken King expansion introduced new weapons, strikes, and PvP maps that are exclusive to PS4 until September of 2016. Timed exclusives suck but 1-3 months is one thing. Putting a year of exclusivity on it is ridiculous.

I doubt anyone is buying one console over another because Call of Duty season pass content comes out a month earlier on that platform. These exclusive marketing deals are just bad for the customers.

Wow.. I didn't realize it was so bad for Destiny. A year's worth of waiting is BS. Sony must have thrown down a LOT of cash. Even when Microsoft was big on their timed exclusive stuff back in the day, it was never as bad as that.

The first Xbox Holiday Bundle announced is the Tomb Raider Bundle. You get Rise of the Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and a 1TB HDD for $400.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/09/xbox-one-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-bundle

And FYI, please post news about new consoles/bundles in this thread as opposed to the PS4/Xbox One owners thread. If we already own the consoles, we don't need to be told about new editions/bundles. We already have them. ;p

According to IGN both Tomb Raider games will be download codes. Looks like Microsoft doesn't care about Gamestop's physical bundle demands. Good luck getting a deal directly from the publisher too because Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I suppose they could still work out a special deal for Gamestop but I'm not sure why they would. The reason they want to include downloadable games in their bundles is because it's cheaper for them than physical copies.

The reason they want to include downloadable games in their bundles is because it's cheaper for them than physical copies.
Well, I suppose that is part of it, but also because you can't pass around a code like you can a disc. If you get a disc, and you have 4 friends that want to play said game, you can give it to them and they'll all get to play it, but Microsoft won't get any money for that privilege, whereas a code can only be used once. Even if they get resold, Microsoft has already been paid. Same goes for every publisher probably.

According to IGN both Tomb Raider games will be download codes. Looks like Microsoft doesn't care about Gamestop's physical bundle demands. Good luck getting a deal directly from the publisher too because Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I suppose they could still work out a special deal for Gamestop but I'm not sure why they would. The reason they want to include downloadable games in their bundles is because it's cheaper for them than physical copies.

I'm surprised RotTR is being released on the 360 as well. I wonder if it will be seriously nerfed in terms of graphics and performance for the last gen system, or the current-gen version will suffer to make them more comparable experiences, or perhaps somewhere in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts