XBox 360 HD DVD $199.99

BobMurdoch said:
I get DD5.1 audio from my 360 now through my optical TOSLink cable I bought separately.

I'm assuming this is sufficient, unless my receiver needs to be upgraded as well (may be likely since it was state of the art in 2001 when I got it, but my Integra 9.1 handles discrete DTS ES and DD5.1 only).

Please enlighten us as to what we need to enjoy lossless HD Audio.....

Bob, don't waste your time with him! He doesn't know since there are no DolbyTrueHD AVRs yet.

He clearly doesnt understand the that the 360 is software upgradable via download on XBL. Even when 360 upgrades are announced, he still doesnt understand. He must have taken the short bus to school!

When the 360 was released, it couldn't do 1080p, this fall we are getting an update to enable 1080p. He doesnt understand that the 360 is doing all the processing and the HD DVD drive just reads the discs. I believe it has been rumored that there will be a HDMI cable for the 360 in December, so the 360 not having a HDMI cable is another myth of his.

He also doesnt understand that MS isn't cramming anything down the consumer's throats like his Uncle Ken is! If I dont want HD DVD then hey, I don't have to buy it. If I don't want HDMI, If I dont want to spend $800+ for an AVR that uses Dolby TrueHD, then I dont need to buy the HDMI cable that is coming out this winter. I will still have something cheaper than $600 which I can add on to at a later time, IF I WISH!

By the Way, Joe, I think my picture killed your multi-language argument for BluRay. It appears that Just Cause has 3 languages and STILL didnt overfill DVD9.

Attachments

• just cause.jpg
    just cause.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 148
He also doesnt understand that MS isn't cramming anything down the consumer's throats like his Uncle Ken is! If I dont want HD DVD then hey, I don't have to buy it. If I don't want HDMI, If I dont want to spend $800+ for an AVR that uses Dolby TrueHD, then I dont need to buy the HDMI cable that is coming out this winter. I will still have something cheaper than $600 which I can add on to at a later time, IF I WISH!

You know i really cant wait until M$ releases a new 360 with internal HDDVD, and discontinues the ones currently being made. Then what will the consumer be forced to buy? It will keep M$ from lowering the price as well, which is my theory as to why the price has not gone down for this holiday season.

But that would actually be a good deal, which doesnt really matter to me as at least then I can stop hearing all the moaning about sony forcing Blu-ray down our throats as M$ will be doing the same for HDDVD .

I think I will have to pass on this for now, might get it later after a price decrease.

You know i really cant wait until M$ releases a new 360 with internal HDDVD, and discontinues the ones currently being made. Then what will the consumer be forced to buy? It will keep M$ from lowering the price as well, which is my theory as to why the price has not gone down for this holiday season.

But that would actually be a good deal, which doesnt really matter to me as at least then I can stop hearing all the moaning about sony forcing Blu-ray down our throats as M$ will be doing the same for HDDVD .

I dont think internal HD DVD drives will be happening until mid 2007. By then the price of OEM drives for manufacturers will probably be cheaper so they can add the HD DVD drive internally with little to no price variation and take a slight increase in a loss per console.

Lets compare similar items. To show how I come up with the statement in the previous paragraph. External DVD writers average $90 to $150 depending on brand. I am using DVD writers because they do the same thing and you can get some writers for $10 retail more than the internal DVD players. Lets take the $150 once since it is a Sony drive, I am using The Sony drive as an example because its their drive in their design and manufacturing. And the MS HD DVD drive at $200. They are similar in price and design but different technology.

For the sake of arguement, let's agree that both products are the same thing with the exception of the type of drive. Therefore the cost in manufacturing, R&D, and materials are roughly the same. Which then leaves the price of the drive where the HD DVD drive is roughly $50 more than the Sony DVD writer. Now in mid 2007 as the prices drop like they do, MS may be able to get the HD DVD drives for the close to the same price they are getting their DVD9 drives. Since they are taking a $125 loss on the console alone what is another $30. IF HD DVD continues to lure supporters from BluRay, that would mean more sales for 360s at the same price we pay now. When I sell off my current 360 and HD DVD (If i decide to get one) so I can buy the new one with an internal HD DVD then I lose money because I have to sell it at less than what the new ones would cost. I dont like how it goes but its reality.

Sony's problem is that they do too much stuff in-house and try to make up for the cost in the end. Which is the reason why we pay a premium on Sony products for marginal difference.

OEM pricing still works for major manufacturers, it used to work for people who used to build their own PCs, but now its about the same or cheaper to just buy a PC because of the vendor's OEM pricing. So in short as prices decrease, we may get a 360 With internal HD DVD for far less than a PS3 because Sony is still going to play catch up to satisfy its investors.

Honestly I think BluRay COULD be the better thechnology if we were 6 years down the road, but right now I don't think its practical. Like I said in the other post, If we would have gotten what they announced then I probably would have bought a 360 AND a PS3. But now they have a higher price for less so I am cutting the PS3 out until the price cuts.

Edited to add this...100GB Xbox 360 HD on the way?

Now things in '07 are going to get interesting... MS COULD either keep the packages as they are and add some kind of extreme package with internal HD DVD and this new 100GB drive. Which will make things more of a headache because that would mean consoles sitting on shelves instead of people's homes if they want a certain package. OR they could replace the 12x dvd players in the current premium package with the HD DVD drive and replace the 20 gb HD with the 100 GB drive to create the 'new' premium package and add the 20 gb drives to the core package and keep the prices close to they are now. Although that would piss off alot of us who own 360s right now. Apparently they didnt think Marketplace would take off like it did.

Last edited:

Umm but that's the point: not forcing down the throat of everybody when it's still an expensive stuff but offering as an option. When it comes down to an affordable level THEN you put it into the box without kicking up its price.

For me the difference is that I already have the 360 and a stand alone HD DVD player is $500 dollars, so $199 is a great otion.

I am going down and going to but 5 more movies i want. I already have 5 and just waiting for mine to ship. Robert said it will ship on friday and i paid for the two day air. So i should have it TUE!!!

I picked mine up from circuit city yesterday. All I can say is wow. Pic and sound is really top notch. So far all I have watched is king kong. Waiting for a bunch of HD DVDs from netflix. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Got mine this afternoon from Gamestop and watching The Fast and the Furious right now. It's kind of a stupid movie but the pic quality is quite good.

I got mine at CC for $159.99 + local tax = $173 and change. There is a $40off printable coupon floating around.. at some overweight wallet.. hehe

Best deal around.

Yeah but the average joe consumer isnt looking at that they just want to play games and all they see is $399 vs $599.

More like $399 vs. $499. both 20GB and both don't have Wifi, but PS3 has Bluray and Bluetooth and one of the best libraries ever(PS1&PS2).

More like $399 vs. $499. both 20GB and both don't have Wifi, but PS3 has Bluray and Bluetooth and one of the best libraries ever(PS1&PS2).

599 PS3 has 60 GB and Wifi and Blu-ray. Take off 200 for the extra 40 GB (thats what it would cost to get that from M$), as well as $100 off for the Wifi (360 Wifi is about 100) and you're left with a BD player that costs 299.

Then you have a 360 w/o wifi, 40GB less storage space, and no HDDVD for 399. Add those things and you get 399+100(Wifi)+200(2 20GB HD)+200(HDDVD) = 899. Minus the componet cables that come with the 360 and I'll give a 750 vs 600.

A sony fan way of looking at things, but still interesting none the less

It looks like the hysteria has already started in Japan, with the PS3 selling on the secondary market for 3-4x it's original price. Limited supply should maintain the frenzy well past Christmas, just like the 360 last year.

Next spring is where it gets interesting.... does the momentum continue, or do they collect dust as the cheaper Wiis and 360's continue to sell well...

Picked up the 360 HD-DVD add on and I think they have done a pretty damn good job with it. There is already a post at AVSforum on getting it to work on a WinXp PC. Sounds like it will eventually work on a mac as well, once they get software that will do HD-DVD.

I keep seeing this whole debate about PS3 vs. Xbox 360. There is not really any denying that either way you go (or if you get both) they really are tremndous values. I have had my Xbox 360 (luckily) since they came out and I have enjoyed every second of it. The PS3 should be great too, I saw one on display at BB playing some offroad game and it looked very good. If the Blu-Ray playback is just as good as what I have seen on the X360 HD-DVD drive (and there is no reason it should not be) then Sony will really have a superb machine on their hands, especially since the cheapest Blu-Ray player is the Samsung and I am starting to see it for $799 at the big stores.

As for some X360 gaming, Gears of War has been fun so far (not much time on it yet), Rainbow Six Vegas is looking good, Call of Duty fans are probably loving CoD3, & the new Tony Hawk 8 looks like it might be decent too. The month of November has also been very good for us X360 owners.

Here's hoping that those of you looking for PS3s can get ahold of one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts