Xbox 360 HD-DVD player now $179 + 5 free movies

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Starting August 1st.

Today at Comic-Con International 2007, Microsoft Corp. announced it will lower the price of the popular Xbox 360(TM) HD DVD Player from $199 to $179 ERP (United States only) starting Aug. 1, 2007, and will add five free HD DVD movies for anyone purchasing an Xbox 360 HD DVD Player between Aug. 1 and Sept. 30.

consumers can choose five HD DVD titles for free from a selection of 15 popular titles through a mail-in offer. With a retail value of over $140 (U.S.), this promotion makes the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player one of the most compelling offerings for consumers looking to make the leap into HD this holiday season.

Source: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player Moves to $179, Adds Five Free HD DVDs

Microsoft should make a 360 with a built in HD-DVD player.

Having it external isn't good IMHO.

If they put HD-DVD internal with HDMI support and built in wireless, they would then be the same specs and price as the PS3.

But Microsoft lets you choose which items to add. Those who are playing them on 19" standard def TVs don't care about HD DVD....

Let's see how many units they move now...... The unit is practically free when you factor in the cost of the discs....

But Microsoft lets you choose which items to add. Those who are playing them on 19" standard def TVs don't care about HD DVD....

Let's see how many units they move now...... The unit is practically free when you factor in the cost of the discs....

its practically free if you would of bought any of those movies you can get for free...

Its the same with the 5 free Blu-Ray that is offered with them, Looking at the choices on that list, I didnt even see ONE movie on the Blu-Ray list i would of bought if it wasnt FREE. I would much rather get a certificate for 2 Blu-Ray Movies of my choice than the 5 I sent in to get.

I hate mail in rebates.
God usually either they get lost or it takes months to get them.
For me, I've been unlucky with mail in rebates, I worked for Office Depot and Office Max for almost 2 1/2 years combined, and with both companies there were customers complaining about mail in rebates constantly and frequently.
Recently, well few months ago, Office Max doesn't do anymore mail in rebates, they now do Instant rebates *In store discounted*, you save little less but its insant, you don't have to wait weeks/months.

I hate mail in rebates.
God usually either they get lost or it takes months to get them.
For me, I've been unlucky with mail in rebates, I worked for Office Depot and Office Max for almost 2 1/2 years combined, and with both companies there were customers complaining about mail in rebates constantly and frequently.
Recently, well few months ago, Office Max doesn't do anymore mail in rebates, they now do Instant rebates *In store discounted*, you save little less but its insant, you don't have to wait weeks/months.

I bought my 360 premium for $399 with $100 mail in rebate from Microcenter. Bought the unit in late Sept and got the rebate in December. Well worth it.

Still not cheap enough, given the toshiba's similar price point for a full featured standalone.

Crippled audio via HDMI, too.

Went and picked up the HD DVD Addon for my xbox 360. I have a question. I think I know the answer but not for sure.

I have the following peripherals:
Pioneer Receiver
Xbox 360
Dish Network ViP622
Samsung DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
Samsung 61" DLP TV

Here is how I have everything hooked up.

DVD-R/VCR Combo - HDMI to TV and Optical to Reciever
Dish Network - Component to TV and Coax to Receiver
Xbox 360 - Component to TV and RCA to Receiver

Question is : Does the Xbox have Dolby 5.1 to my receiver using this method?
If not how can I solve this problem? I have 1 HDMI port on my TV with no audio out and I only have 2 digital inputs (1 optical and 1 coax) on my receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

Went and picked up the HD DVD Addon for my xbox 360. I have a question. I think I know the answer but not for sure.

I have the following peripherals:
Pioneer Receiver
Xbox 360
Dish Network ViP622
Samsung DVD Recorder/VCR Combo
Samsung 61" DLP TV

Here is how I have everything hooked up.

DVD-R/VCR Combo - HDMI to TV and Optical to Reciever
Dish Network - Component to TV and Coax to Receiver
Xbox 360 - Component to TV and RCA to Receiver

Question is : Does the Xbox have Dolby 5.1 to my receiver using this method?
If not how can I solve this problem? I have 1 HDMI port on my TV with no audio out and I only have 2 digital inputs (1 optical and 1 coax) on my receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

No RCA will not get you 5.1 from your XBOX....

You need to pick up an optical cable (TOSLink) to connect to your receiver. make sure you configure your receiver to look for the audio from the optical cable (usually it is an OPT1 or OPT2 setting or something similar). You may need a special cable that is made for XBox360 A/V cables that plugs into a jack midway up the cable. It's been two years since I hooked mine up, but that's what I needed to do to get DD5.1..... RCA connectors cannot pass a discrete 5.1 signal.....

Go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy and tell them what you are trying to do and they'll find you the cable you need and show you where it goes....

Madden NFL 08 Reviews

July NPD sales results - PS3 price cut edition

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)