XBox 360 HD-DVD player now $179 + 5 movies

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Microsoft Corp. is cutting the price of an HD DVD (high definition DVD) player it offers as an add-on to Xbox 360 game consoles and will give away five free HD DVD movies with player purchases, a sign the battle between the HD DVD and the Blu-ray Disc high definition formats is heating up.

The HD DVD player will sell for US$179 in the U.S. starting August 1, down from $199. Between Aug. 1 and Sept. 30 buyers will receive five free HD DVD movies chosen from a selection of 15, Microsoft said. The company indicated the free HD DVD movie offer was the same as that offered by Toshiba Corp., which is offering titles including Apollo 13, Seabiscuit, Constantine, Casablanca, We Were Soldiers, U-571, Blazing Saddles, and more.

Microsoft will also offer the movie "300" on its online service Xbox Live on demand starting Aug. 14.
The price reduction of the Xbox 360 HD DVD player may be aimed at Sony Corp. The Japanese consumer electronics giant, which is championing Blu-ray Disc technology against HD DVD, reduced the price of the PlayStation 3 in North America by US$100 in anticipation of the launch of a newer version of the game console.

The PlayStation 3, which contains a Blu-ray Disc player, now costs US$499 or in North America with a 60G-byte hard-disk drive. A newer version of the PlayStation 3 with an 80G-byte hard-disk will sell for US$599 when it launches in August. The Xbox 360, on the other hand, sells for US$399 with a 20G-byte hard drive, while the 120G-byte Xbox 360 Elite costs US$479. Neither of the Xbox prices includes the HD DVD player.

Sony and other members of the Blu-ray Disc camp have been able to boast a large base of users of its HD technology because of the number of PlayStation 3s sold.

Microsoft put out the HD DVD player for its Xbox 360 game machines as a way to compete with the PlayStation 3. The company is in the HD DVD corner, with Toshiba Corp. and other companies.

Source: PC World - Microsoft Cuts Price of HD DVD Player, Offers Free Movies

M$ is in no ones corner. They are in the pockets of the HD-DVD camp plain and simple. They don't want either format to win or surplant DVD because they want all of us to buy and download our HD fixes from them.

As for the HD-DVD player for the XBOX360 it has not even sold 2% of the 360s sold worldwide. In any business this would be considered a failed add-on. Anyone here remember the Sega Genesis CD-ROM addition. That product at least sold 10% before Sega admitted that it was not successfull and stopped making product for it.

That said, it is nice that M$ is offering 5 HD-DVDs and a $20 price drop for 360 owners. Especially after extending the warranty 3 years on that finely made product.

M$ is in no ones corner. They are in the pockets of the HD-DVD camp plain and simple. They don't want either format to win or surplant DVD because they want all of us to buy and download our HD fixes from them.

As for the HD-DVD player for the XBOX360 it has not even sold 2% of the 360s sold worldwide. In any business this would be considered a failed add-on. Anyone here remember the Sega Genesis CD-ROM addition. That product at least sold 10% before Sega admitted that it was not successfull and stopped making product for it.

That said, it is nice that M$ is offering 5 HD-DVDs and a $20 price drop for 360 owners. Especially after extending the warranty 3 years on that finely made product.

Now now, we all know you are just cranky that your BluRay perfect plan to annihilate HD DVD is failing to wipe out the rebels..... Now witness the power of this fully operational space station!

What? They blew up the shield? Uh oh...

Sorry, got carried away.....

I'm a 360 fan, PS3 hater and I couldn't care less about the HD-DVD player add on. $20 drop? Big deal.

On the other hand, if they came out with a BD player add on for the 360 I'd pay $250 for it without a moment's hesitation.

I'm not a fan either, but if they found a way to come out with an add on BluRay drive, I'd get it too. I prefer the features on HD DVD (no region coding, better interactivity, combo discs with DVD on one side and HD DVD on the other), but having to deal with standard def only on Fox/Disney/Sony titles is dissapointing. Then again IF they did this it might help kill HD DVD, so I doubt we'll see it anytime soon (until the HD DVD has been declared dead if it fails)

Now now, we all know you are just cranky that your BluRay perfect plan to annihilate HD DVD is failing to wipe out the rebels..... Now witness the power of this fully operational space station!

What? They blew up the shield? Uh oh...

Sorry, got carried away.....

Too funny!!!!!!! That was pretty good.:D

This drive works in the PC correct? It may be time to buy one and get 5 more HD DVDs

If by chance you don't have a full HDCP compliant chain ie videocard or monitor, then I recommend going to Slysoft.com and purchasing any hd dvd. You should be good to go. You'll also need power dvd ultra as well, but I think the upgrade to existing products for powerdvd is free last time I checked. I would check out Slysoft regardless, you may want to archive on hard drive for now until the burners get affordable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)