Xbox 360 Hd-dvd

I got my tracking number too, but it says the ship date is tomorrow - won't get here until Thursday.

When it arrives I plan to hook it up to my XP Media Center PC just to see what happens.

Maybe I'll plug the XBOX HD drive into my VIP-622 and take a picture of the two together to post here. Maybe I could start a rumor.

With M$ XBOX 360 able to download movies and TV on 11/22 plus the DVD HD, it is really becoming the centerpiece of the home entertainment system.

Ok guys, I'm an idiot when it comes to this hd-dvd stuff.

I heard that you needed an hdmi for the toshiba hdvd player but with xbox360 it works with component? The reason I'm asking is my lcd is a few years old and only have component.

The Xbox 360 does not have an HDMI output. My understanding (untested) is that you can get 720p or 1080i out of component connection from the Xbox 360 ... and if you want 1080p, you'll need the VGA cable.

You will get 1080i out of the Toshiba over either component or HDMI ... UNLESS the movie studios start implementing the Image Constrant Tag (ICT), which will tell the player to downres all unencrypted video output to 540p or less. In that case, and only that case, you would NEED HDMI to get a high def signal from the Toshiba. And of course the Xbox 360 would then be unable to display these ICT-enabled titles in anything over 540p as well.

ICT is part of AACS, which is the required encryption standard for both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

- Shane

Last edited:
I got my Xbox HD DVD player today and watched Nacho Libre on it and wow it was amazing. The picture looks as good as the HD-a1 that I have and the load time was just as good as my regular dvd player. What a great buy!

Ok guys, I'm an idiot when it comes to this hd-dvd stuff.

I heard that you needed an hdmi for the toshiba hdvd player but with xbox360 it works with component? The reason I'm asking is my lcd is a few years old and only have component.

Get ready for a bunch of acronyms in this explantion.

For now, you should be able to play HD-DVDs at up to 1080p resolution over component video on the XBOX 360.

HD-DVDs (and Blu Rays) have agreed with the movie studios on something called the Advanced Access Content System License Authority or AACS. AACS is designed to limit the resolution of HD-DVDs to 960x540 pixels over the component outputs by setting a flag in the player called the Image Constraint Token. Essentially, this reduces the HD-DVD to the same resolution as a standard DVD.

The HDMI and DVI outputs comply with AACS by using the High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection standard, or sometimes called HDCP copy protection. HDCP is considered a more secure standard that uses hardware and software to prevent hacking and copying. Analog outputs are not capable of the HDCP standard. Movie studios hope to use HDCP equipment to transmit movies directly to theatres via satellite of broadband in the future.

HD-DVDs with the ICT flag must be clearly labeled. So far none of the studios have set the flag on any of the early HD-DVD releases. They are not likely to do so until HD-DVDs (and BluRays) achieve more market penetration.

When the studio begins using ICT, M$ will need to begin selling a HDMI or DVI cable.

So, for now, don't worry - order an HD-DVD from Robert at VE and enjoy!

If your LCD TV has DVI, you can get an HDMI - DVI cable, both standards support HDCP. The HDMI cable carries both audio and video - that's the biggest diference. If all you have is component, some day you will need to replace the LCD if you want to watch HD-DVD or Blu-Ray

I got my Xbox HD DVD player today and watched Nacho Libre on it and wow it was amazing. The picture looks as good as the HD-a1 that I have and the load time was just as good as my regular dvd player. What a great buy!

This is great! I have been reading alot of reviews about the add on and they all are GOOD!:D (Waiting for mine!:()

Very well explained Kevin ... but a few clarifications:

For now, you should be able to play HD-DVDs at up to 1080p resolution over component video on the XBOX 360.

1080p is only supported via VGA connection. As I understand, the component connection will only support up to 1080i.

AACS is designed to limit the resolution of HD-DVDs to 960x540 pixels over the component outputs by setting a flag in the player called the Image Constraint Token. Essentially, this reduces the HD-DVD to the same resolution as a standard DVD.

AACS/ICT will require reduced resolutions over any output that does not support HDCP. The clarification I want to make here is that it affects the VGA connection as well, not just component.

When the studio begins using ICT, M$ will need to begin selling a HDMI or DVI cable.

I have been trying to contact Microsoft on this issue. I am trying to find out if digital output is even possible with the current hardware. It would have to support HDCP, and my guess is that the Xbox hardware does not contain that particular bit of silicon.

If your LCD TV has DVI, you can get an HDMI - DVI cable, both standards support HDCP.

Yes both HDMI and DVI cables support HDCP-transmitted data, but that does not necessarily mean his LCD can decrypt an HDCP signal. Remember, you need HDCP support on both ends of the signal or it's not going to work.

- Shane Sturgeon

Well folks...

I got home today and there was a box on my front pourch. Not sure if it came today or yesterday as I did not come home yesterday. But it was from our friends at ValueElectronics.COM!

While the box was small it was HEAVY! (Around 12 pounds) When reaching down for this small box I did not expect the weight of it. :)

Went inside and opened the box and inside was the XBOX 360 HDDVD player plus a few goodies and a card from Robert saying hi!

Hookup of the HDDVD drive was so easy that I thought I did something wrong!

Installation consisted on putting in the install CD which came with the HD DVD player and hooking up the drive to the USB port on the back of the XBOX 360. After attacking the drive it applied a quick patch and I was off and running.

I popped in the HDDVD version of Happy Gilmore and was quickly watching the movie. From my eyes and memory it looked as good as it did on my Toshiba HD DVD player.

I hate to say it but I think I am going to use the XBOX 360 HD DVD drive more then my Toshiba HD DVD unit, it does not take forever to boot up or load the discs.

If you have an XBOX360 and you dont have a HD DVD drive but want one, this is what you want, give ValueElectronics a call and order one of these babies while they still have stock left, and soon you will be enjoying HD DVD's on your XBOX360.

It appears that soon the XBOX360 will not be a video game console, but possibly the centerpiece of your entire entertainment center.

My thanks to Robert at ValueElectronics for making this special XBOX360 pre order available to all SatelliteGuys members!

I use to be a big DTS fan, however I can not even tell you the last DTS DVD I have purchased in the last year.

I also dont know of any DTS enable HD DVD's.

Does the regular DVD player on the 360 handle DTS?

Scott, since you have both players, could you do a side by side comparison of the two? That would be great!

Then I don't see that as an issue. Just play the DTS DVD's on the main XBOX DVD player. :)

PLease give me some hints of how to test the XBOX HD DVD side by side with the Toshbia HD DVD player. :)

DTS is a mandatory codec for HD DVD. They couldn't call it one without support of DTS. Unless you are referring to DTS HD, which is an optional codec.

- Shane

I would like to know how the 360 HD DVD handles upconverting standard DVD's? Is it an improved picture compared to a progressive scan DVD player? I still own many standard DVD's that I would continue to watch, so will I get a better picture with the add-on? Thanks.

Very well explained Kevin ... but a few clarifications:

1080p is only supported via VGA connection. As I understand, the component connection will only support up to 1080i.

AACS/ICT will require reduced resolutions over any output that does not support HDCP. The clarification I want to make here is that it affects the VGA connection as well, not just component.

I have been trying to contact Microsoft on this issue. I am trying to find out if digital output is even possible with the current hardware. It would have to support HDCP, and my guess is that the Xbox hardware does not contain that particular bit of silicon.

Yes both HDMI and DVI cables support HDCP-transmitted data, but that does not necessarily mean his LCD can decrypt an HDCP signal. Remember, you need HDCP support on both ends of the signal or it's not going to work.

- Shane Sturgeon

Shane - thanks for the clarification. I answered the post quickly while I was running Cat6 from the XBOX to my home network to replace the wireless connection. While I was at it I ran extra Cat6 for my E* VIP-622, and future upgrades. I probably should just put a network switch in the home theater cabinet. It looks like everything will someday use an ethernet connection!

Until HD-DVDs are released in 1080p/24 there isn't any difference between 1080i & 1080p. M$ firmware upgrades support 1080p output, but it is unclear whether the HD player can output at that resolution.

I forget that some older LCDs have DVI inputs, primarily to use the TV as a computer monitor, that may not support HDCP. I have a 34" Toshiba direct view with DVI, vintage 2003. Now I need to check to see if it is supported or not. I also have the new Samsung LCD, that definately does support HDCP.

I haven't seen anything definative on whether the 360 is HDCP capable. It is unclear to me whether the hardware would be on the console or could be added to the external HD drive. IF M$ doesn't support HDCP, then that could mean trouble down the road. My guess is that we have a couple of years before it is an issue.

The studios are unlikely to turn on ICT until HD-DVD and BR have sufficiently penetrated the market. Otherwise they risk hacking off the early adopters who invested in HD technology.

If your TV is capable of displaying 1080p, I'd set the 360 to that resolution and let the HD player run at whatever it is capable of. Mine will be in on Wednesday, I plan to play around with it.

What I remember hearing from Microsoft is that you will need to hook up the Xbox 360 via VGA cable to get 1080p. I assumed you could still get 1080i & 720p via component. What is your connection? Have you tried 1080i or 720p setting?

- Shane Sturgeon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts