XBox 360 V1.5 coming?

I got my PS3 and 360 (both premiums) from Costco.
So if M$ decided to get a new version..ahah no hassle for me..i just go in and tell them my 360 makes way too much noise..and they give me back what i paid for including taxes...means i can get a brand new one...and M$ gets the old shatty model back.

But that's a completely non-valid argument here. In all honestly it is a dumb response. A console is supposed to be built to last at least 3 years. EVERY console I have ever played has lasted at least this long. When MS starts to make a better version, they are hurting all of us who paid and waited for that console. Apple is in a completely different ballpark here. I expect a new iPod every year to year and a half, and if your neighbor new how to look some stuff he, he would be able to expect the new product, and waited for it.

MS isn't the only company who ever did this. There are many companies who upgrade the system with newer features or improvements. Not an official list just stuff I remembered from owning them

• Micorsoft - XBOX - (Different DVD-ROM readers and HDD sizes)
  • Sony - PSONE (Improved design, improved CD lens, composite output changes,
  • Sony - PS2 (Built in Network Adapter, improved DVD/CD lens)
  • SNK - NEO-GEO CD system (CD Slot loader and CD top loading change, and change to 2X CD reading)
  • Panasonic - 3DO (CD Slot loader vs CD top loading changes)
  • Nintendo - NES (design changed with better cart loading)
  • Nintendo - Gamecube (Toslink removed, Q Japanese version plays DVD)
  • Nintendo - Gameboy (color, smaller and brighter screen)
  • Nintendo - Gameboy Advance (smaller and brighter screen)
  • Nintendo - DS (smaller and brighter screen)

Some are more important than others but it does happen.

...When MS starts to make a better version, they are hurting all of us who paid and waited for that console...
How is this hurting anyone?

The vast majority, if not all of the games played on it are encoded in 720p, HDMI is still glitchy as all get out, and external HDD archiving is easily accomplished. The only 1080 sources are HD DVD's and possibly some XBL downloads, and VGA is capeable of outputting 1080p for those who want native input on their 1080p HDTV's.

The only thing missing here is decoding of lossless audio. For the paltry sum of money I paid for the add-on, I'm just not concerned about losing this one feature.

Also, with all of the spec revisions on HDMI, I'd bet there will be a v1.4 before the majority of HDTV's or A/V receivers are even utilizing the capabilities of v1.3

Just my $.02

and if your neighbor new how to look some stuff he, he would be able to expect the new product, and waited for it.

Like the soft price drop on the 360 since August? I'm not sure why it's a dumb response. You shouldn't call me out unless you can back it up and you really haven't. At least you didn't USE CAPS. Sorry you think the console should last for 3 years without an upgrade. That's pretty much all you are saying.

Last edited:
Consoles last 3 years? Nothing lasts 3 years without being outdated. Computers, TV's, DVD players, cars, power supplies, etc... What are you PS3 people going to say when PS3 is recalled because of a problem, and Sony releases a new version of the PS3? Don't say it won't happen, because it could.

If you guys are this pissed about MS coming out with new version of the 360--which according to the reports I've read on the net, is delayed until July or so of this year--what are you going to do if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray loses the war and you have to run out and buy the format that you don't have, just so you can watch HD DVD's?

The truth is, it is good, they needed to upgrade the 360, regardless of how they do against the PS3, the 360 needed upgrades. The main reason why they are upgrading, is because they are going from 90mn processor die to 65mn. This will decrease both energy consumption and heat, give processor a bump in speed--not much, most likely not detectable--possibly help with freezing and other errors caused by overheating--the reason why I say possibly, because I don't think these issues were 100% caused by overheating--and hopefully reduce the price, at least on the supply side, in other words, cheaper for MS to produce. Look at stories like this on the net-- http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-360-Zephyr-Needs-Hitachi-s-1TB-HDD-2264.html

Why not, since they are already in there changing the processor around, go ahead and add things that--they perhaps should have in the beginning--they needed or wanted on the 360.

I mean what if Sony came out a year from now and said, "we've got this new Hardware update by releasing a new version of the PS3, but we can't upgrade the PS3 for at least 3 years, so you'll just have to wait 2 more years." You all would be pissed, wondering why you can't have tomorrows technology today.

Last edited:
The truth is, it is good, they needed to upgrade the 360, regardless of how they do against the PS3, the 360 needed upgrades. The main reason why they are upgrading, is because they are going from 90mn processor die to 65mn. This will decrease both energy consumption and heat, give processor a bump in speed--not much, most likely not detectable--possibly help with freezing and other errors caused by overheating--the reason why I say possibly, because I don't think these issues were 100% caused by overheating--and hopefully reduce the price, at least on the supply side, in other words, cheaper for MS to produce.

The thing that bothers me most is the reliability upgrade. It isn't right that early adopters be stuck with equipment which is more likely to break. But it wouldn't be the first time.

I mean what if Sony came out a year from now and said, "we've got this new Hardware update by releasing a new version of the PS3, but we can't upgrade the PS3 for at least 3 years, so you'll just have to wait 2 more years." You all would be pissed, wondering why you can't have tomorrows technology today.

Cough*Scaler*Cough

Then I would be pissed at Sony. They should have gotten it right the first time. And to me it looks like they did. I highly doubt that they will release another version with a scaler, as for most people it doesnt really matter. I have a 3 year old Sony HD RPTV, and it converts 720p to 1080i.

I just think that M$ screwed up from the beginning and if they release this and I want to use the console to it's fullest abilities I will have to buy a new one in less than two years time. Look at the PS2, that machine did not change drastically like this at all. Sony found a way to make it very small about 5 years after it came out. 5 years is fine. Hell 3 years is ok for me, but we are not talking about BD players, computers, digi cams, etc. This is a console, and consoles should last at least 3 years.

Are you people honestly saying that you would buy a new 360 every 1.5 years. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

Consoles last 3 years? Nothing lasts 3 years without being outdated. Computers, TV's, DVD players, cars, power supplies, etc... What are you PS3 people going to say when PS3 is recalled because of a problem, and Sony releases a new version of the PS3? Don't say it won't happen, because it could.

Umm have you possibly forgotten the PS2. Maybe you should read up on that one!

How is this hurting anyone?

The vast majority, if not all of the games played on it are encoded in 720p, HDMI is still glitchy as all get out, and external HDD archiving is easily accomplished. The only 1080 sources are HD DVD's and possibly some XBL downloads, and VGA is capeable of outputting 1080p for those who want native input on their 1080p HDTV's.

The only thing missing here is decoding of lossless audio. For the paltry sum of money I paid for the add-on, I'm just not concerned about losing this one feature.

Also, with all of the spec revisions on HDMI, I'd bet there will be a v1.4 before the majority of HDTV's or A/V receivers are even utilizing the capabilities of v1.3

Just my $.02

Well, i didn't mean hurting in a literal sense. All I know is that I waited for this console for 12 hours at Target on the 22nd Nov 2005. I also know the history of consoles and how long they last on average. If the 360 is revised now, that is a slap in the face to all of us who waited and spent $500-$600 that day. They should have known that HDMI would be necessary. But they had their faces to far up their butts to see what was coming down the line, or maybe they didn't and were just seeking to screw all of us who purchased one on day one so we would need to buy another one to use it to its fullest.

I am simply saying that it is BS to revise a console after 1.5 years, after 8 million have been sold, 2 million in the holiday season. If they delay this until Christams 2008, then great, the PS3 will be winning by then anyway and they will need a new plan, but this year if just too early to revise a console.

I don't get it. I just don't get it. Why do people flip out over this 360 upgrade? You can't hate M$ for releaseing a xbox360 with new specs upgrades. Take time and read the specs in the back of the manual and you will notice, there some words in small print, saying spec in some models are known to change.

There are a lot of manufactures that release same models product with changes. Examples giving manufactures that makes video cards, cpu, motherboards, tvs, cars, software, games like NFL Madden with sequals and even the homes that being built today..

I brought a new sony xbr1 tv and now there is a xbr2 model. Same tv with a few changes. You can buy a fully loaded 2007 Ford F150 and by summer time 2008 is released. Does that mean we throw a fit with the car maufactures?

When you purchase a xbox360, you understood the features and specs and you took a chance on owning one. They gave you, your money worth and you was happy with the product. M$ did not promise the current 360 will have a hdmi port, larger hard drives and new cpus. It's fun and exciting thing when a upgrade is release for the software side of the 360. Everybody is accepting the upgrade with open arms. But, what about the hardware side.

If we all was having a technical problem with the 360 and M$ released a new revisied model, instead of fixing the problem on the current model. Than, I will be pissed also. We all as Consumer make it seem like, once we pay for a product. We bond for life with the maufactures and any changes the manufactures makes in the future has to accommondate the consumer's past purchase. If that was the case, than there will be no new product.

If you want the revised 360, than go get it. If you don't, than enjoy the one you got.

This is some BS. Even thought I am more of a supporter of Sony for consoles, this pisses me off. There should not be a Version 2 with extra upgrades. I didn't buy this console to need to upgrade to it a year later. I guarantee I wont have to do it for the PS3.

And I am not at all surprised by the reaction of the Sony haters here. Place Sony in place of M$ and PS3 in place of 360, and let the PS3 be out one year and this be happening, and the response would be TOTALLY different. AND YOU KNWO THIS, MANNNNNNNNNN

Ah, Hpman, my Sony nemesis we meet again.... OK, just a minor rebuke this time....

The only thing I will shell out for is a larger hard drive. The 20 GB is just too small, especially with the Video Marketplace having lots of buttery goodness these days.... I also have loads of Custom Soundtracks and 14 XBox live arcade titles. I'm assuming they can come up with some kind of magic doohickey to enable HDMI via a new cable connection, although that photo with an HDMI connection and the parallel port-esque video cable connection makes me a little wary that it will only work if modifications to the console itself are made....

I'm not mad they are changing the design, ... the PS2 was modified midstream as well, although not as greatly. I see it as a necessary evil to counter Sony attacks. IF you MUST have 1080p, then you can upgrade. Ditto if you need the bigger drive. None are mandatory, and there will not be a game that requires the upgraded unit to function (I'm assuming with 10 million already in use)

Well, i didn't mean hurting in a literal sense. All I know is that I waited for this console for 12 hours at Target on the 22nd Nov 2005. I also know the history of consoles and how long they last on average. If the 360 is revised now, that is a slap in the face to all of us who waited and spent $500-$600 that day. They should have known that HDMI would be necessary. But they had their faces to far up their butts to see what was coming down the line, or maybe they didn't and were just seeking to screw all of us who purchased one on day one so we would need to buy another one to use it to its fullest.

How is it Microsoft's fault that you waited in line for a product you now find insufficient? If you felt that a 360 needed to have HDMI, why did you buy a 360 at all? Who buys a computer product with the assumption that future products would not give you more for less?

My computer is only a year or so old, and yet newer ones are faster for less money. Who's fault is it that I bought what I did when I did? I'd say it is mine. I was the one who decided that the product was worth my money.

Sony had NO updates to the PS2? None at all, it is being made exactly the same today when it came out 5 years ago? No new power-supplies? No new anything, DVD drive, anything?

I find it hard to believe Sony never changed anything on the PS2, that there weren't/aren't any differences in hardware (updated models of DVD drives, motherboards, etc.) after all these years.

Now, perhaps, no one noticed, because it didn't give you any new capabilities between each version, i.e. Version 1 and version 5 did the same things, nothing new.

Of course, it sucks that MS didn't include all of this to begin with, and I'm sure they'll screw it up again, when they don't include something else in this version. But if you've already got an 360, this new version will really only be different in that it will have HDMI support (if the stories are correct, you'll still be able to get 120GB drive, and if you 360 works OK now--no overheating--then you really won't notice that big of a difference between your current and this new version). I know that this can be big someday, but right now I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue. So don't upgrade right now, wait 2 more years, make your current 360 last about 4 years and it will be almost to that magical number of 5 years. Not to mention 360 will likely be cheaper, a newer version will likely be out, and it will be even better.

Besides, your 360 will still be able to do everything it is supposed to, you'll still get updates etc. you just won't have HDMI.

Additionally, it is only a rumor that 360 will get HDMI and internal HD-DVD drive. The only thing MS has said they are doing is processor upgrade to cooler, more efficient design (and even then I haven't seen an actual news release from MS stating this, I've only read it on the net, so even this could be a rumor). In other words, nothing to even worry about right now.

How is it Microsoft's fault that you waited in line for a product you now find insufficient? If you felt that a 360 needed to have HDMI, why did you buy a 360 at all? Who buys a computer product with the assumption that future products would not give you more for less?

My computer is only a year or so old, and yet newer ones are faster for less money. Who's fault is it that I bought what I did when I did? I'd say it is mine. I was the one who decided that the product was worth my money.

It's a console. It;s not a DVD player or a digital camera, a computer etc. And I shall say nothing more.

It's a console. It;s not a DVD player or a digital camera, a computer etc. And I shall say nothing more.

It is a computer. It's a mobo and cpu and gfx card. If it wanted it could run windows. In fact it's probably the fastest computer you own. Well you have a PS3, but for anyone without a PS3...:D

And you still have the exact same console with the exact same functionality no matter what Microsoft offers future customers. It was you, and no one else, who judged it to be worth the price you paid.

rebate or no rebate Posty, isnt it unfair practice to treat the consumers this way? you have to see that Microsoft thinks they are this giant, and people will pay anything for their products (see Halo 3 demo, the only demo that will cost money.)

Apple does it to their customers too. A new Ipod comes out every other month, and new accessories may or may not work with older models. Ditto for Sony. Multiple generations of their memory stick (another proprietary format they rammed down users throats) mean that one stick won't work in some models because they are too new or too old.

As for Microsoft, they are meeting a competitive threat by negating a few of the negatives. When you have 10.4 million consoles in use vs. the 1 million for the other guy, you try and maintain that lead.

You can always trade in your old 360 at a Gamestop if you feel strongly about it. I don't have a 1080p set yet, although I plan on getting a Sony Pearl VWL50 front projector later this year (See! I'm not totally anti Sony). The hard drive I would upgrade if they sold the larger drive as an upgrade and I could easily swap out the data (maybe come up with a utility that can migrate data via a UBS cable, or you can park it on a networked PC so you can pull it back later?) The memory card may be OK for a few save games. The XBox Live arcade games and themes should be easy since Microsoft lets you reload content once you've paid for it once. The big problem is all the custom soundtracks I've recorded. I'd hate to have to start from scratch again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts