XM in truck modded for Sirius?

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I have a Honda Ridgeline and it has built in XM... I love how its all voice activated and I can just request a channel vocally and it will switch to it... However I really don't see the need for XM and Sirius..

I am a big football fan and I really just go between NFL station and the hits channel... Is there anyway to have the onboard XM radio work with the Sirius or have it switched and continue its functionality? (I know I would still have to say "XM Channel 140 etc.." but it would go to Sirius channel 140 instead.

I Hope I explained my question well...

anyone? Can an existing XM Radio be modded to pick up Sirius Signals? I have been told many times that they are not different at all, so I figured someone had figured out how to switch the networks it picks up.

Do they make stereos that have sirius built in that will interface with the navigation/voice recognition that I can replace the stock stereo with?

That sounds like a Sirius (or its list of manufactures) and/or a dealer question.

What company makes your Honda Ridgeline factory radio? Maybe they would be a great place to start.

I wish car makers would get away from the forced partnerships. At minimum, they should have either as an option.

In light of the new merger I contacted Sirius and the CSR said a lot is still up in the air and they just had the conference today but the way he read his document and he semi read it aloud as he skimmed thru it... (lower cost/better and more stable service bla bla bla ) he said In the next 12-20 months I should be able to activate my truck subscription and pick up the NFL channels etc... through my onboard radio!

This merger has just made my night :) If this works out I can move the sirius radio over to my wifes truck and my truck will have everything onboard with voice recognition control!

Does anyone know of a timeline or when I might be able to do this? I know CSR's can sometimes be in the dark and some of the peeps around here know stuff way before the CSR's do. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask :)

That 12 - 20 mos sounds aggressive to me, even IF a deal is reached and IF everything gets approved, but I wouldn't guess any earlier for sure.

That 12 - 20 mos sounds aggressive to me, even IF a deal is reached and IF everything gets approved, but I wouldn't guess any earlier for sure.

Dude I will just be ecstatic if it can happen period and there will be a timeline... I just bought the truck so I imagine I will have it for at least 5-7 years or so. heh I am practically giddy :)

Well please do not set yourself up on a huge, overly optimistic and hopeful high now to be let down hard later. As there are huge moves that will have to be done IF all the obstacles are cleared. The FCC and DOJ are not 50/50 hip to this idea (yet). I have also read numerous concerns that hardware is not likely interchangeable/flash upgradeable to the extent needed; however if they simply beam the combined, new programing mirrored from both XM & Sirius birds in their respective "codec" then sure, but that seems overly wasteful and redundant from a business standpoint; I can see them selling off some assets although not all of them of course, just like laying off the over-redundant workers.

Well please do not set yourself up on a huge, overly optimistic and hopeful high now to be let down hard later. As there are huge moves that will have to be done IF all the obstacles are cleared. The FCC and DOJ are not 50/50 hip to this idea (yet). I have also read numerous concerns that hardware is not likely interchangeable/flash upgradeable to the extent needed; however if they simply beam the combined, new programing mirrored from both XM & Sirius birds in their respective "codec" then sure, but that seems overly wasteful and redundant from a business standpoint; I can see them selling off some assets although not all of them of course, just like laying off the over-redundant workers.

That would be if they tried to carry over all that XM has to offer and all that sirius has to offer right? The CSR said they were combining the top sirius stations and the top xm stations into one offering... wouldn't all the satellites just mirror the signal and it should be roughly about the same station count on both networks? with new radios being made having the ability to pickup all satellites?

What I am saying is this; lets say they combine the top 65 XM and top 65 Sirius channels; they would need to put exact copies of all 130 on current XM sats for XM users and the exact same thing on current Sirius birds for their users, because, as I have read so far, they (radios) each need to receive their own proprietary codec or signal and neither have a way to change the radios to receive both. Having the exact same 130 channels on both sets of sats would be ridiculously redundant and a total waste of expenses. This scenario is like the two just joining bank accounts, firing 30 - 50% of all redundant staff, but still maintaining 2 fully separate services but now with even less programming and any minor differences they have. NOT a great business plan. They need to find a much better way to move forward IF they actually agree on a deal and IF they get past regulators. That is why I really think it will be past said 20mo guess; assuming they do it right and not fast. I worry that trying to do it too fast may kill them both off.

My best hope is that everyone is wrong that the "codecs" in our current radios can't be flash upgraded; maybe all we need will be different antennas. I am not 110% sure how it all works; if the "tricks" are inside the radios or really the antenna pulling only what it needs. For me, I tried both and prefer Sirius, so if all goes as currently planned, Sirius will be in control of the new company, and so I can't see Sirius users needing to do much if anything. MAYBE an antenna upgrade will be the deal and allow everyone to "see" both sets of sats. Allowing for even more channels; combine the best channels of the two, have all the sports, lose all the duplicates and have extra space to add well thought out and desired channels later.

EDIT: I just received this letter, not too many in depth detail, but I didn't expect any.

February 19, 2007
To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have
heard, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form
the nation's premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal
listeners. As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you
every day with the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and
SIRIUS broadcast a wide range of commercial-free music channels, exclusive
sports coverage, news, talk, and entertainment programming. Howard
Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB. NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News.
Additionally, the combined company will be able to improve existing
services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat video as well
as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the
combination will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both
companies will continue to operate independently. We will continue to provide
you with the uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding
customer support - that you have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do
not anticipate any changes in your service during the merger process,
however, please call our customer care team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you
have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and
continuing to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering
more of the Very Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)