Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
XM Satellite Radio Tops Five Million Subscribers
WASHINGTON, Sept. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Satellite Radio today announced that it recently surpassed 5 million subscribers, increasing its lead as the nation's number-one satellite radio company.

"With more than five million subscribers today, XM continues to expand its position as the leader in the satellite radio industry," said Hugh Panero, XM Satellite Radio President and CEO. "We are on track to have more than six million subscribers by the end of this year. Consumers are choosing XM because we offer the most choices, including the most commercial-free music and live sporting events, and the most advanced technology. With the winning combination of outstanding new channels and breakthrough products in advance of the holiday season, XM is poised for record growth during the fourth quarter."

Upcoming XM programming highlights include comprehensive coverage of Major League Baseball playoffs and the World Series, the debut of National Hockey League games on XM, and the launch of Take Five, a new 24-hour talk radio channel aimed at women, featuring satellite radio broadcasts of high-profile programs such as "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

About XM Satellite Radio

XM (Nasdaq: XMSR) is America's number one satellite radio service with more than 5 million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City and Nashville at the Country Music Hall of Fame, XM's 2005 lineup includes more than 150 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: the most commercial-free music channels, plus premier sports, talk, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and 21 channels of the most advanced traffic and weather information. XM was named Best Radio Service at the 2004 Billboard Digital Entertainment Awards.

XM, the leader in satellite-delivered entertainment and data services for the automobile market through partnerships with General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Porsche, and Volkswagen/Audi, is available in more than 120 different vehicle models for 2005. XM's industry-leading products are available at consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information about XM hardware, programming and partnerships, please visit http://www.xmradio.com.

Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements in this press release include demand for XM Satellite Radio's service, the Company's dependence on technology and third party vendors, its potential need for additional financing, as well as other risks described in XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.'s Form 8-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on 8-5-05. Copies of the filing are available upon request from XM Radio's Investor Relations Department.

It really is a good thing even if you have Sirius. The more they establish themselves in the market, the better the competition between the two will be. Which is the best possible scenario for we the consumers.

Satellite radio is looking at 9 to 10 million subscribers by the end of the year. Satellite radio is way past the "Fad" stage. There are XM and Sirius services coming that we have not dreamed of yet and they will be here within a year.

No i'm not kidding, I'm not trying to bash xm but I just never hear about it. Even at bestbuy and I walk past the stereo department, anything I ever hear is about sirius...

Maybe it's just the market but it seems like no one around here is into xm...

Well I think one thing that helps XM is the auto makers. I work for a GM dealer and alot of there vehicles come with XM already installed.

If XM gets 5 million customers, and then 10 people cancel, they don't adjust it do they? These types of numbers are kind of silly to me. I realize the industry needs to hype itself and that's fine, but saying how many customers they have is silly, it changes constantly...If a person signs up, cancels it, and then signs up again, i'll bet it counts as 2 customers against that 5 million...

Not sure how that counts but I know Sirius counts cars that are sitting on dealer lots as subs. XM does not. I read an investment article earlier today that said if XM did the same thing they would have over 5.5 million.

Purogamer said:
If XM gets 5 million customers, and then 10 people cancel, they don't adjust it do they? These types of numbers are kind of silly to me. I realize the industry needs to hype itself and that's fine, but saying how many customers they have is silly, it changes constantly...If a person signs up, cancels it, and then signs up again, i'll bet it counts as 2 customers against that 5 million...

From what I've heard from sources at labels the 5 million number is the number of "active" radio subscriptions. I have 3 radios on one account but that counts as 3 subscribers. If I cancel they are no longer counted as active subscriptions so it would remove 3 from the total.