Xstream HD

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Mike, Robert and I stopped by the Xtreme HD booth today... here's some of my shots.... Mike got some also...

Attachments

• Extreme HD.JPG
    Extreme HD.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 439
  • Extreme HD1.JPG
    Extreme HD1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 366
  • Extreme HD2.JPG
    Extreme HD2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 414
  • Extreme HD 5.JPG
    Extreme HD 5.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 355
  • Extreme HD 6.JPG
    Extreme HD 6.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Extreme HD info.JPG
    Extreme HD info.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Xtreme dish.JPG
    Xtreme dish.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Xtreme dish 1.JPG
    Xtreme dish 1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
The company is actually XStream HD -- The Stream part indicates streaming from satellite.

The specs look good but I was hearing year's end for launch of product which is surprising.

Best,

Last edited:
Has it improved? Didnt it come out a year or two ago?

I think it is still vapor, to be honest,although they had server boxes and receivers, just never saw any content other than OTA.

I hope this comes to fruition - even if just for the 3 ATSC tuners and the ability to stream them to ANY TV in a house via ethernet. Pretty sweet concept. But right now, vapor...

I never doubted the technology. Fact is, if you have enough tp space nothing is difficult about streaming HD in 1080ix1440 or even 1080p x 1920 with very low compression. The networks are already doing very low compression to the stations. The real problem is not the technology; it is the business model. When I spoke to these guys 2 years ago they were working on a flawed idea that people will pay for this quality to make it a profitable business.

Ask yourself this question- Will you pay $35 for a Blu Ray disk? Correct answer is that enough people will pay that for the disk because they want it for their library. But would you pay $35 for a broadcast of the movie? $20? $15? How about $10? No? If they have to go to $6.99 to sell it as that is what the competition sells for. The reason it is that low on the Dish network system is because it is subsidized by all the other programming subscriptions. Dish Network's own HD PPV's would never stand on their own to support a major sat provider's costs.

I never doubted the technology. Fact is, if you have enough tp space nothing is difficult about streaming HD in 1080ix1440 or even 1080p x 1920 with very low compression. The networks are already doing very low compression to the stations. The real problem is not the technology; it is the business model. When I spoke to these guys 2 years ago they were working on a flawed idea that people will pay for this quality to make it a profitable business.

Ask yourself this question- Will you pay $35 for a Blu Ray disk? Correct answer is that enough people will pay that for the disk because they want it for their library. But would you pay $35 for a broadcast of the movie? $20? $15? How about $10? No? If they have to go to $6.99 to sell it as that is what the competition sells for. The reason it is that low on the Dish network system is because it is subsidized by all the other programming subscriptions. Dish Network's own HD PPV's would never stand on their own to support a major sat provider's costs.

I think Don has hit the nail on the head here. Between the cost of the set-up (I assume it will cost the customer something and it could likely be substantial) and the individual cost of the programming I just don't see enough people going for this to make it worthwhile for them. Especially since the folks at E* told Scott in his chat that they were working on even more 1080p content with the new 922 (500GB of reserved space could hold quite a bit). If I already have a Dish Network Dish and equipment why would I want to fork over more cash for the XStream equimpent and then pay basically the same price E* is going to charge me.

Maybe Bob already posted this in the pub, but they did do some real testing of the satellite last month- basically sending programs from the uplink center and downloading it to a server.

It was supposed to launch in October, they aren't running THAT far behind, unless production is an obstacle.

M Sparks, Yes I went even further details in the pub about their ground breaking transmission and how it will change the FTA world. Especially with their dynamic Forward Error Correction they have implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts