Yet another 942 question...

Fabric8r

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I have another quesion concerning my newly installed 942. It replaced a 7200. With it I could hit the mute button, and the closed captioning would start. No sound, but had the words on the bottom of the screen. This was nice when the phone rang, I could put it on mute, and my Wife could still watch the program, just read along. Also it was great if you didn't understand what a person said, you could rewind a little, hit the mute button and read what was said.

How do I set up the new 942 or the remote to do this again? I have been to settings, closed caption, etc. and cannot figure it out.

Thanks for your help!

That is a bummer.

Can someone tell me how to suggest this as a programming inhancement to Dish Network? I cannot find out how to ask for this on their web site.

oljim said:
Why not just press the pause button?

Because I just want to hit mute. Wife wants to continue watching, not wait for my phone call to end.

The main reason for this feature is if you cannot understand what is said, you can rewind a little bit, hit the mute button and read what was said. Lost is the worst show for understanding what was said. Those actors mumble and whisper a lot. Drives me crazy.

I ran into the same issue. According to the Dish CSR, captioning is not passed by the 942 to the TV (at least in component or DVI output), so you have to use the 942's own captioning - which seems slow and clunky compared to what my Sony TV could do and can't be turned on simply by muting the TV. The best I could come up with was a crazy macro (16 steps, including pauses!) on my Harmony universal remote to go through the 942's menus to turn on captioning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)