Yet another dollar coin

Will this reissue of the dollar coin succeed?

• Yes, it's handy and this version will be easily distinguished from quarters.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Not a chance, as long as it's about the size of a quarter.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No dollar coin will ever succeed, people prefer paper dollars.

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a bit different to carry a couple hundred dollars in "coins" in your pocket. It would change fashion- we'd all need reinforced pockets! :haha

Do you carry a couple hundred ones around at one time? That would be a wad, eh? :eek:

Do away with the bill and penny and get the coins acceptable in machines, cash registers, and peoples pockets.

Do you carry a couple hundred ones around at one time? That would be a wad, eh? :eek:

Do away with the bill and penny and get the coins acceptable in machines, cash registers, and peoples pockets.

I think they will get rid of all paper and coin money and everyone will have to use debit and credit cards.

I agree that going to a total credit and debit system would be the most cost efficient but what happens if the country has a total collapse of the power grid and all the electronic records go bye -bye? It would make the electronic voting fiascos look good in comparison. You could cripple this country with a glitch in the system and you know someone would hack into the system and make themselves billionaires and bankrupt someone else to do it.

I agree that going to a total credit and debit system would be the most cost efficient but what happens if the country has a total collapse of the power grid and all the electronic records go bye -bye? It would make the electronic voting fiascos look good in comparison. You could cripple this country with a glitch in the system and you know someone would hack into the system and make themselves billionaires and bankrupt someone else to do it.

someone could do that now if they wanted.

"...Do you carry a couple hundred ones around at one time?..."
I was referring to a prior comment about making larger denomination coins. Ten $20 coins would still have some heft.

Most vending machines accept $1 coins. Many have a more or less triangular sticker on them saying "accepts the gold dollar" or some such. The vending machine companies have been major supporters of dollar coins. I'd love to see a $2 coin like they have in Canada, the "toonie." It has sort of an inset center, looks like one coin surrounded by another (see below). And it's not too close in size to another coin.

I think Wal-Mart was in on passing out Susan Bs as change, till that collapsed. Once burned, twice wary.

People will never accept a cashless society. Tips, payments you don't want the gov't to know about (drug deals, off book income, etc) and convenience of not troubling with electronic transactions will keep "cashless" a dream.

Attachments

• Canadian $2 Toonie-reverse.jpg
    Canadian $2 Toonie-reverse.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)