Yet Another Failed Dish Negotiation

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I like dish. Just grow tired of fanboys that tell us dish does no wrong. And right on cue Kab comes in and gets testy with anyone that dares have a different opinion that him/her.

Some are fan boys and some are just trying to prove a point. The people who say that Dish is the only one at fault are just as bad as the ones you call fan boys. Some call me a fan boy but really all I'm trying to do is get others to think about the issue from both sides. I tell people that blame Dish that maybe it's not all Dish's fault. Maybe it's the other side that's just as guilty.

No, it's not. Sony is trying to release it to theatres and on VOD at the same time (because it appears that the larger movie theatre chains aren't on board).

Who is carrying this movie on VOD ?

No one, as of yet.

Yep, I haven't heard of anyone willing to offer it yet. I'm sure all these companies are scared of having their company secrets and employee emails/personal information spread all over the internet like Sony did. I'm guessing no one wants to be first because they would then become the next target for these hackers. I'm still hoping one of the big boys like Amazon or iTunes is confident enough in their security to make it available though.

This thread has become a non issue since Sony is releasing the movie tomorrow to select movie theaters.

The inflammatory title could probably be changed but I think the thread is still relevant. Sony is still looking for cable, satellite, and internet PPV providers to air this movie tomorrow since it will be in very few theaters.

It was originally planned for over 3000 theaters and now is limited to somewhere between 200 and 300 independent theaters. There are only 3 theaters in Michigan showing it and plenty of states only have 1. Here is the full list of theaters showing the movie tomorrow.

http://mashable.com/2014/12/23/wher...g-on-christmas/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link

I'm still hoping one of the big boys like Amazon or iTunes is confident enough in their security to make it available though.
Or maybe Sony has too high an asking price for what will probably be another C movie Rogen.

Reactions: JM42
Or maybe Sony has too high an asking price for what will probably be another C movie Rogen.

First of all, if it's PPV why would Dish or any PPV provider care how much Sony asked for? Let them set the price as high as they want and customers will either call in to order it or they wont. It's not a forced cost on all customers. UFC PPV events are $60+ and Dish still allows them on their network.

Second, I realize that the average age on this website is a bit older than me but Seth Rogen and James Franco's comedies usually do very well. They are big hits with guys in their teens and 20s even if they aren't for everyone. If these guys weren't doing well they wouldn't be in so many movies.

First of all, if it's PPV why would Dish or any PPV provider care how much Sony asked for? Let them set the price as high as they want and customers will either call in to order it or they wont. It's not a forced cost on all customers. UFC PPV events are $60+ and Dish still allows them on their network.

Second, I realize that the average age on this website is a bit older than me but Seth Rogen and James Franco's comedies usually do very well. They are big hits with guys in their teens and 20s even if they aren't for everyone. If these guys weren't doing well they wouldn't be in so many movies.
At this point I would pay to go see the Interview Movie just because Kim Jil Un the N.Korean dictator said we shouldn't watch it. Till he spoke up, I had no interest in seeing it ,but now I will pay to watch it, just to spite his dumb ass.

:boom:boom:boom

Reactions: stardust3
I think part of this is a publicity stunt by Sony or if not, they're certainly taken advantage of it (or trying to) ! Charlie probably told them he'd carry it if they made it FREE for viewers.....

I think part of this is a publicity stunt by Sony or if not, they're certainly taken advantage of it (or trying to) ! Charlie probably told them he'd carry it if they made it FREE for viewers.....

Well, I'm sure the hacking was real. Sony wouldn't air all their corporate dirty laundry just to hype up a movie. That being said, this movie will definitely benefit from all the free publicity if they can get anyone to agree to show it.

The leaked emails exposed their executives as dirt bags. They got caught saying things they wouldn't have said in a public venue. Not only that but all their other big releases that were still in theaters were posted to torrent sites as part of this hack. Then you have all of the addresses, bank information, and social security numbers posted for anyone to see. This whole thing cost Sony money and business relationships.

Many of the talking heads I saw on the news implied that the reason it was pulled was not for customer safety. They claimed it was done so these hackers would leave them alone.

I doubt the reason they couldn't come to terms with Dish and other providers was a money dispute. Again, this is a PPV, not a cost all subscribers are forced to pay. Sony could set the price as high as they want and consumers would decide if that price was worth it or not. Dish would take their cut and be on their way.

The reason no VOD companies are agreeing to show this is because they don't want their own companies to be attacked the way Sony was. Whoever signs on first would become an immediate target. I can also see people announcing that they will carry it at the last minute instead of announcing it ahead of time for that same reason.

I'm 24, I hate Both actors, and I hope Seth never finds anything funny ever again. If either of these actors is cast for Preacher I will be forced to stay away from that show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the indications were that North Korea wasn't even involved in the hacking ?

North Korea denies it but the the government agencies that investigated the situation said that the hacks did come from them. Bottom line is that the hackers said there would be 9/11 style attacks if we decide to show this in theaters.

When Sony announced that they were looking into VOD options the hackers said any company who shows this will be attacked.

If Sony went the VOD route, they burn any chance for a wider theatrical release, no doubt they were trying to get more up front than the VOD providers were willing to give.

Something was in the terms no one wanted, otherwise someone would have taken it. Sony probably wanted too large a percentage, a minimum upfront fee ($x Million + x% of rental fees), etc.

With a limited theatrical release only, they still have wider theatrical releases possible and VOD is still there.

If Sony went the VOD route, they burn any chance for a wider theatrical release, no doubt they were trying to get more up front than the VOD providers were willing to give.

Something was in the terms no one wanted, otherwise someone would have taken it. Sony probably wanted too large a percentage, a minimum upfront fee ($x Million + x% of rental fees), etc.

With a limited theatrical release only, they still have wider theatrical releases possible and VOD is still there.

That or all the PPV providers don't want the hackers targeting them. They have shown that they are able to break into corporate systems and they did a lot of damage to Sony. I can see why Dish and other providers would say no for that reason alone. I just hope that someone has enough confidence in their security to show it because I would like to rent it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)