You don't need an HD package to get HD!

aquaman67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Tennessee
After doing research before going HD I've seen mis-information on here more than once.

You don't have to subscribe to any HD package to get an HD receiver or HD programming.

They will give you an HD receiver and you will get HD programming without paying for an HD package.

If your locals are in HD and you subscribe to your locals you will get the HD channels too (if they are avalible).

If you subscribe to HBO you will get HBO HD too.

You only need to subscribe to the HD package to get the HD only channels.

I asked for a 625 and got a 722k installed free. New dish too.

Basic and extended cable HD is what you have to pay the $10 access fee for. It is the same deal on Cable. You don't have to pay for HD access to get locals or the premiums you subscribe to in HD.

I subscribe to 250, locals, HBO, Showtime. I do not subscribe to any HD programming.

Here's what I get in HD

Nashville Locals ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX

BRAVO (129)
VS (151)

HBO EAST
HBO 2 EAST
HBOSG
HBO WEST
HBOFM
HBOCY
HBOZ
HBOLT
SHOWTIME EAST
SHOWTIME 2
SHOCS
TMC-EAST

FOXS (420)
SPSOU (437)

AND HD PPV

After doing research before going HD I've seen mis-information on here more than once.

You don't have to subscribe to any HD package to get an HD receiver or HD programming.

They will give you an HD receiver and you will get HD programming without paying for an HD package.

I

I asked for a 625 and got a 722k installed free. New dish too.

I never knew this ... is this another bit of info that Dish likes to leave out of their customer literature? hmmmmm ...
this may be the answer to my recent thread concerning the way network-broadcasts are "center-cut' and enlarged.
thanks

Fixed the title. :)

This all depends on the area you live in, if your installer installs you on the Eastern Arc then you get all MPEG4 HD equipment.

They are also starting to roll out all MPEG4 equipment on the Western Arc, but are giving retailers a chance to use up their old stock as well.

I subscribe to 250, locals, HBO, Showtime. I do not subscribe to any HD programming.

Here's what I get in HD

BRAVO (129)
VS (151)

HBO EAST
HBO 2 EAST
HBOSG
HBO WEST
HBOFM
HBOCY
HBOZ
HBOLT
SHOWTIME EAST
SHOWTIME 2
SHOCS
TMC-EAST

FOXS (420)
SPSOU (437)

AND HD PPV

Bravo and VS are on free preview right now so it's only your Locals, your premiums and your RSN that you're getting without the HD package add-on. That's always been the case since I remember.

Here's what I get in HD

BRAVO (129)
VS (151)

HBO EAST
HBO 2 EAST
HBOSG
HBO WEST
HBOFM
HBOCY
HBOZ
HBOLT
SHOWTIME EAST
SHOWTIME 2
SHOCS
TMC-EAST

FOXS (420)
SPSOU (437)

AND HD PPV

But if you did subscribe to HD, you'd also get about 70+ more.

I called Dish and asked about getting another 625 to replace two 311's. The CSR suggested a 622. I said sure, why not.

What I got was a 722K...free. (with the 2 year commitment that seems to scare some people)

I've been with Dish since Sept 1998. I think I can handle two more years.

I get sats 119, 110 and 129. Not sure what arc that is or if the 722K is MPEG4.

I think you are getting the locals and premiums in HD with no additional charge, which is great and something I certainly didn't know could be done. I had to sign up for an HD package on the western arc a couple years ago to get any HD. Or at least this is what I was told then. I think it was to be able to get an HD receiver. Now everyone seems to be able to get an HD receiver regardless. Of course, a couple years back, one had to pay a fee if one had an HD receiver and didn't subscribe to HD programming. Things have changed for the better for subs.

I called Dish and asked about getting another 625 to replace two 311's. The CSR suggested a 622. I said sure, why not.

What I got was a 722K...free. (with the 2 year commitment that seems to scare some people)

I've been with Dish since Sept 1998. I think I can handle two more years.

I get sats 119, 110 and 129. Not sure what arc that is or if the 722K is MPEG4.

That the so-called western arc. All VIP series receivers are mpeg4 capable.

But if you did subscribe to HD, you'd also get about 70+ more.

True.

I have an older rear projection TV and just wanted to see how HD looked before I committed to an HD package.

I notice the black back ground looks much better. I had a lot of pixelization of black backgounds before. On HD it looks much better...

True.

I have an older rear projection TV and just wanted to see how HD looked before I committed to an HD package.

I notice the black back ground looks much better. I had a lot of pixelization of black backgounds before. On HD it looks much better...

Even the "HD" channels that are mostly SD content look a lot better on the HD feed. The SD is not compressed nearly as much as it is on the SD channels.

I'm surprised 5710 isn't showing up. I thought I had read that anybody with HD equipment could get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)