Your Backyard Temperature

Isn't weather interesting? on Friday here, we had popup storms that did severe damage in very small locations. Two cells that moved through. To make matters worse, I was on the air live covering weather which WE do when nobody else does anymore, and somewhere, the NWS or someone changed the expiration TIME of the severe thunderstorm warning for our county, causing the EAS box to issue a SECOND but nonexistent Severe Thunderstorm Warning! The warning took over the station (they are designed to do that---tailoring to the least common denominator of broadcaster) and the message went dead halfway through! Luckily or station engineer was here, and while I warned the listeners we'd be "gone" for a moment, he bypassed the EAS system (not legal but necessary that day) in case the EAS did not release via it's closure tones, (to return live control to me at the control console.) What a mess! A government designed piece of junk that WE HAVE to have or be fined, but twice in as many years it's done false alarms because of the warnings' times being changed. GRRRRRR.. Damn involvement by non-broadcasters (Government) causing issues. Can't wait to file complaint with our broadcasters' association, and one member of the FCC.

Sorry to rant. Bugs me that WE cover live weather during emergencies and get burned by the box that is designed to work at non-staffed stations. GRRR (again.)

Reactions: frank c.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)