Your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

What are your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

• I am thinking of buying HD DVD

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • I am thinking of buying Blu-ray

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • I am planning to buy both formats

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I am thinking of buying a dual-format player even if it is much more expensive

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I will wait for a clear winner, even if it takes years

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I will wait until prices come down

Votes: 68 28.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 10.3%

• Total voters
Just like I said, combo DVD Audio/SACD, the surround sound music format that was SUPPOSED to make us get rid of our CDs has completely and utterly failed to gain market acceptance beyond the 5% enthusiast crowd (Along the levels of the acceptance of Laserdiscs).

A Combo HD-DVD/Blu RAY Player will probably come out, but will it still refuse to output to component video outputs if a flag is activated (making that $30 disc about equal to a DVD that costs half as much at Best Buy if you don't have a DVI or HDMI connection).

Right now greed has forced both camps to go for the nuclear option. Guess what? I WAS excited for next gen video, but now I will take a pass. Too many copy protections and gotchas combined with a high price will make me stick with DVD for many years to come.

If I am jonesing for some HD I'll record some on my HD PVR.....

When it comes down to it most people don't know about DVD Audio or Super Audio CD. If they did surround sound music acceptance would be more then the 5% your talking about. I too don't understand why the new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players can't output 1080i through there component video outputs? I have a HDTV with a DVI input so it doesn't force me to go out and buy a new HDTV with HDMI. But i still don't think it's a good thing that both camps are playing games with this new format be it HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Most know about it. They just don't care.

For ANY new format to catch on, they have to make a compelling argument for early adopters tosnap them up. Then people see them in use by their friends and pick them up for themselves. Prices come down as more and more units move and then you have a successful format.

The only pros for these formats were better sound WHEN PLAYED IN THE PROPER ENVIRONMENT.

However, the market has shown a preference for one major component that they can't match....

Portability.

The IPod and other mp3 players degrade the sound from CD fidelity levels, BUT let them take them on trains, on the go, and even in their car with docking ports. Meanwhile, most car manufacturers only offer CDs as an option (Seen any SACD players come with new cars?). You also can't copy them, so say bye bye to mix discs. Since 80% of most new albums are crap, people have embraced just getting the songs they like via ITunes, or buying plain old vanilla CDs so they can rip them to their computers or XBoxes and use them wherever they want......

007BlackMan said:
I too don't understand why the new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players can't output 1080i through there component video outputs? I have a HDTV with a DVI input so it doesn't force me to go out and buy a new HDTV with HDMI. But i still don't think it's a good thing that both camps are playing games with this new format be it HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

I thought the studios were forcing this. My understanding is the studios are worried about copy protection. The security protection is better through HDMI. Is that wrong?

I for one don't think DVD Audio or Super Audio CD are going bye bye anytime soon. I also think that you could have them (SACD/DVD Audio) players installed in your car right now. I have seen them installed on a TV show called Rides. Like you have said these formats have better sound and people like my self will want to buy the best sound. Your right about degraded sound from MP3 players they sound like crap.

HDMI/DVI Copy Protection.

teamerickson said:
I thought the studios were forcing this. My understanding is the studios are worried about copy protection. The security protection is better through HDMI. Is that wrong?
I am not sure about this but the studios are making all of the software dvd movies. So i would have to say yes your right.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm going to get a Blu-Ray player when the Sony PS3 comes out!:)

I dont understand this...Do you think a gaming console will do a decenct job as a HiDef DVD player? Would you use a PS2 as a DVD player or but a standalone unit that was made exclusivly for the job?

teamerickson said:
It's completely wrong when some of us have significant investments in televisions that have Component or firewire (shich was supposed to be the be all end all connection).
How will you feel when some studio comes along and forces dvi and hdmi out in favor of the next big thing? It's really more of a sales tool I think. Every few years change HD around so people have to get new tv's to watch HD.

Paradox-SJ said:
I dont understand this...Do you think a gaming console will do a decenct job as a HiDef DVD player? Would you use a PS2 as a DVD player or but a standalone unit that was made exclusivly for the job?
I would buy a standalone, but i know tons of people using PS2's and Xbox's as their main DVD player. That was one of the big selling points of the PS2 when it was first out. For a few bucks more than a Sony DVD player you could get a game console that also played DVD's.

I will "not" be buying either format until they allow my component only HDTV set to playback full HDTV resolutions.

I can pay for 8 months of Comcast (or Directv) HD that will output HD Component instead. Or they can use Firewire....

DAVEGTESTR said:
I will "not" be buying either format until they allow my component only HDTV set to playback full HDTV resolutions.

I can pay for 8 months of Comcast (or Directv) HD that will output HD Component instead. Or they can use Firewire....

I think there are a ton of people who probably would have jumped on HD DVD as early adopters, myself included, but the Image Restaint Token kills that urge instantly. The movie industry should be careful how they inplement HD DRM initially. If most the studios inplement ICT, it will no doubt create a PR nightmare and you can believe that will be in ALL mainstream media. Even the common Joe will know what ICT is once the cat is out of the bag. And the Greed of Sony and Toshiba will reduce the early adoption rate big time from not hammering out one format.. Now we have two. But I hope Toshiba wins.. just because I don't like Sony that much. Altrac, Rootkits, memory sticks, are just a few of the reasons why Sony should loose this battle. If ICT was not a factor, I would have bought a Toshiba HD DVD. Now it may be years before I take the plunge.. I will probably have to purchase another HDTV now.

I'm kind of leaning toward Blu-ray due to the large capacity. But I will not buy the player though. I will wait for the recorder to come out.
I already have HD-DVR to record my HD shows, no hurry to get one right now. I will wait until the recorder and media are dirt cheap then I'll buy one.

nickyct said:
I'm kind of leaning toward Blu-ray due to the large capacity. But I will not buy the player though. I will wait for the recorder to come out.
I already have HD-DVR to record my HD shows, no hurry to get one right now. I will wait until the recorder and media are dirt cheap then I'll buy one.

Blu-ray needs the larger disc capacity as they are compressed in MPEG-2 whereas HD DVD uses MPEG-4's more efficient compression delivers double storage vs. Blue-ray's MPEG-2 discs.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Blu-ray needs the larger disc capacity as they are compressed in MPEG-2 whereas HD DVD uses MPEG-4's more efficient compression delivers double storage vs. Blue-ray's MPEG-2 discs.

-Robert

Robert,
Any news on when titles might be available for HD DVD? Thanks.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

-Robert

I was reading Maximum PC magazine today and they have a spec comparision between HD-DVD and Blu-ray. It looks like their video specs are the same.
This is what it said on the chart (I can't find a link to the article)
HD -dvd MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264
Blu-ray MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264
But on the chart where it said will it play DVD ? and the answer is Maybe for blu-ray and yes for HD-DVD.
Well, if it won't play DVD then poeple will think twice before they make a purchse.
Some people just don't have enough room on their entertainment rack for the components.

I also look around the net to read more about it cause I'm kind of curious about it myself and found one article that's kind of answer a couple of questions that I have.
http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/HTN_bluray_HDDVD.htm

Last edited:
Nice link, and the other pages on that site are interesting too. Short, simple comments.

I'm not sure if the specs "require" DVD playback capability, although the linked article implies they do. I can't imagine someone trying to sell a BD or HD-DVD player that couldn't. At least, not for many years. Probably the more expensive players of each format will add things like upscaling old style DVDs, while the cheaper ones just feed 480i out of DVDs.

Paradox-SJ said:

I don't see why not. As long as you utilize the digital outputs (hdmi/spdif) the quality will be identical to a standalone that is specced with theoretically higher quality components.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts