Your Regional Sports Network

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I was thinking about how we have people who post from all over the country. One of the things that is different besides what sports we follow more than others and your favorite team, is your Regional Sports Network. I live in CT. so I have SNY, YES, NESN, and MSG. I would have to say that YES is the best as far as a channel goes. Their production values are very good but SNY has better announcers. Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a phenomonal job announcing baseball. They are better than YES.
How about you guys. First, do you have more than one? That's probably a dumb question. Second, what do you like and dislike about it?

I was thinking about how we have people who post from all over the country. One of the things that is different besides what sports we follow more than others and your favorite team, is your Regional Sports Network. I live in CT. so I have SNY, YES, NESN, and MSG. I would have to say that YES is the best as far as a channel goes. Their production values are very good but SNY has better announcers. Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a phenomonal job announcing baseball. They are better than YES.
How about you guys. First, do you have more than one? That's probably a dumb question. Second, what do you like and dislike about it?

I thought they had four RSN's (YES, SNY, MSG, and FSNY) in the NYC area, did they do away/merge FSNY?

As far as Boston/New England goes we have NESN (Red Sox and Bruins) and CSN New England (Celtics). I enjoy both RSN's, but I watch a lot more of NESN because of the Red Sox.

I think they have FSNY in certain parts of CT. but I don't have it. I used to have it but then Comcast did away with it. It's funny the Mets used to play on FSNY and what they used to do is interupt MSG's programming and show the FSNY on MSG. I think that lasted until SNY came out.

I get, as "local" both versions of FSN-Ohio, Sports Time Ohio, and FSN-Pittsburgh.

FSN-Ohio. The only difference between the versions is what DirecTV calls "FSN-Cincinnati" has the Reds games and not the Cavaliers, while FSN-Ohio is v-v. Both have the Blue Jackets. Why DirecTV wastes a full-time channel on two versions is beyond me. Its also beyond me why I get the Cleveland version of the channel, since it blacks out the Cavs games, meaning there is never anything on it not on the other version. It is a really poorly run RSN, IMHO. Run from Cleveland with Cleveland ads and Cleveland area college sports, it just shells out to Reds and Blue Jackets games and then right back to Cleveland. Does no local programming from anyplace. Just Foxfiller and games.

STO - The Indians games and nothing much else. Without access to even the Foxfiller, its mostly hunting and fishing shows, golf instructions, and other such.

FSN-P - Tries hard. Has a pretty good local talk show with some call in. Does a local scores show. Gives scores of the local HS football and so on.

We have Comcast SportsNet here in Philly. They do a very good job with 76ers Flyers, and Phillies.

I wish we had YES because I like some of the classic Yankees game they show from time to time.

Jim

My local cable company gives us FSN-Ohio and FSN-South.

FSN-Ohio

I agree with what Sam said, but I think there are about 6 different versions of this feed. I don't have any proof of this, but I surmised several different things by looking at website TV listings. It appears that the Columbus feed gets all the Blue Jacket games, period. The Cincinnati feed (which I get in Lexington, KY) gets all the Reds network games, and all the Blue Jackets games that do not conflict with the Reds. We get what little Bengals stuff they have. We also get some Xavier basketball. No Cavaliers. The Cleveland feed, I assume, would get Cavs games and non-conflicting Blue Jackets games. There is a feed that serves the western part of KY that does not get any Blue Jackets, presumably because it is part of the Predators' territory.

There is very little original programming on the channel, other than games. The Bengals programming is very limited, which stinks. I think it's ridiculous that they put some Browns programming on all their feeds, even down here--stupid stuff like "Josh's Cribs".

FSN-South

I really don't watch this very much. I think we only have it for SEC programming, and there isn't that much. We get Predators for NHL. No Braves.

Comcast in York, PA gives us CSN Philadelphia, CSN Mid-Atlantic, MASN, & FSN Pittsburgh. However they only carry CSN Mid-Atlantic in HD full time, which is lame since they don't even carry any MLB teams, so the entire summer is a waste of HD bandwidth. We do get some MASN baseball games in HD on MOJO.

Would be better off with CSN Philly HD for year round "pro" sports, plus we don't have the option of that channel on satellite.

FSN Ohio (Cincinnati feed) is a JOKE! This channel is so slanted towards the northern part of the state it blows! The Reds coverage is okay. I personally don't like the annoucners.

There are 6 FSN feed (Dish carries only 2)
Cleveland area, Central Ohio, Toledo area, Cincinnati area, out of state (IN, WV, KY) and an alternate. For a while there, they had the alternate feed shoved as the Cincinnati feed. You could be watching the middle of an Indians game (which we should never get on FSN Cinci) and right in the middle of a pitch the picture changes to the beginning of a Reds game coverage!

I tried telling Dish this, but never got passed the first line CSR that thought I was crazy. It took two phone calls to FSN and it was fixed!

See ya
Tony

I have FSN Cincinnati and STO.

When the Reds played on the west coast this year I had to call Directv and tell them to turn the HD feen on, because they forgot to do it.

in north carolina the state is split in half as the eastern part of the state is supposed to get MASN and FSN South, while the western part of the state gets MASN, FSN South, and SportsSouth. The western part of the state (greensboro and everything west) is deemed Braves, Nats and O's territory while the eastern (raleigh/durham/chapel hill and everything east) is exclusively Nats and O's. As soon as the fcc rules on Time Warner's appeal MASN will become very widely available in the sate of NC as currently is available only on d* and e* and smaller cable system in the state.

FSN South is a pretty good rsn as it does additional acc and sec games through acc and sec tv. For my state is shows the hurricanes and bobcats (starting this year). It is pretty worthless during the summer, especially for the eastern part of the state as they show very few braves game and reds games no one cares about, neither of which can be seen east of greenboro. FSN South has a lot of alternate feeds as it the primary rsn for both north carolina team, the hawks, the predators, and it does some grizzlies game too.

MASN in my opinion is one the best rsn out there due to their due to their awesome coverage of college sports. They do a good job balancing the O's and Nats during baseball season and show a ton of espn regional and other college basketball and football games. Pretty much any espn regional big east game will be on this channel along with special deals with ecu, uncw, george mason, and davidson. Just a great channel for a college sports fan like myself.

SportsSouth is ok for North Carolina as the provide the braves and have a deal with the southern conference for a game of the week in football and basketball, but other than that there focus is more atlanta has they are the exclusive home of the trashers and get grizzlies game when the preds are playing at the same time.

When the Reds played on the west coast this year I had to call Directv and tell them to turn the HD feen on, because they forgot to do it.

Actually, another poster a while back made a good point about this. For some reason, FSN Ohio and FSN Florida have to share HD. The times the HD came on late when the Reds were on the west coast, it was because the Marlins game in HD ran past 10:00, and they had to wait until it was over. If you look at MikeI's baseball schedules, you will notice that FSN Florida (which has both the Marlins and Rays) and FSN Ohio never have HD at the same time.

Comcast in York, PA gives us CSN Philadelphia, CSN Mid-Atlantic, MASN, & FSN Pittsburgh.
With Dish Network, us York County people get CSN Mid-Atlantic, MASN, & Big 10 Network. No FSN Pittsburgh though, which sucks as we're in Pirates & Penguins territory.

In Cedar Rapids, IA with Dish, I get CSN Chicago (Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks), FSN Midwest (Cardinals, Blues), FSN North (Twins, Timberwolves), FSN Wisconsin as an alternate channel only (Brewers). Occasionally I will get FSN Kansas City (Royals games). Oh and Big Ten Network, if you want to call that an RSN, which is outstanding for their High Def programming.

Also, somehow I get SportsSouth during Cardinals games only as an alternate RSN.

I don't get Wild games on FSN North or Bucks games on FSN Wisconsin due to blackout restrictions.

panz

Do you know what you would get with cable? I know a friend of mine lives in CR and she doesnt get all of those. Mediacom did have games on channel 10 (like a public access channel) as a buiddy of mine who lives in MN (but has Medicaom) has seen Cards & Twins games on there

panz

Do you know what you would get with cable? I know a friend of mine lives in CR and she doesnt get all of those. Mediacom did have games on channel 10 (like a public access channel) as a buiddy of mine who lives in MN (but has Medicaom) has seen Cards & Twins games on there

I used to have Mediacom and they only offer CSN Chicago. Very rarely they would put a Twins game and once I saw a Brewers game on their Mediacom Connections Channel, which is typically just used as a CSN Chicago overflow channel, ESPNEWS and some original programming.

Actually, another poster a while back made a good point about this. For some reason, FSN Ohio and FSN Florida have to share HD. The times the HD came on late when the Reds were on the west coast, it was because the Marlins game in HD ran past 10:00, and they had to wait until it was over. If you look at MikeI's baseball schedules, you will notice that FSN Florida (which has both the Marlins and Rays) and FSN Ohio never have HD at the same time.

I never realized that, must have missed that post. I hope with the full time HD channels, next year all the games should be in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts