YouTube Potential Dispute with Disney

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
YouTube's contract with Disney expires this Friday: YouTube TV - Watch & DVR Live Sports, Shows & News

If no deal is reached, YouTubeTV will cut it's monthly price by $15 while the content remains off of the platform.

I really like that YouTube is very upfront that they tell the adjusted price if channels are dropped.

The list
  • Your local ABC channel ( Cox Media owns the ABC station here, Orlando, so should be safe, if not, have a Tablo and a antenna)
  • ABC News Live ( can get on my Roku via a app)
  • Disney Channel ( do not care)
  • Disney Junior ( do not care)
  • Disney XD ( do not care)
  • Freeform ( do not care)
  • FX ( all content new and old on Hulu)
  • FXX ( all content new and old on Hulu)
  • FXM (do not care)
  • National Geographic ( all content new and old on Hulu and Disney+)
  • National Geographic Wild ( all content new and old on Hulu and Disney+)
  • ESPN (do not care)
  • ESPN2 (do not care)
  • ESPN3 (by authentication to the ESPN app) (do not care)
  • ESPNU (do not care)
  • ESPNEWS (do not care)
  • SEC Network (do not care)
  • ACC Network (do not care)
So for me, glad to save $15 a month.

Espn shows the content I use pay tv for, and until college basketball is done, I’ll figure out a way to watch it, via a competing service or log in info on the app.

The discount is nice if the lose it, if those are channels you don’t view.

If this happened after March, I wouldn’t care at all.

Good thing with these streaming services, when this happens, if it impacts me, I can just move on.

Well poop, Orange Bowl is on ESPN, now I care, been a long time since Michigan played for a National Title, do not want to miss.

The list
  • Your local ABC channel ( Cox Media owns the ABC station here, Orlando, so should be safe, if not, have a Tablo and a antenna)
Pretty sure that the broadcast networks and their affiliates work differently on the vMVPDs than on the traditional MVPDs. With the latter, a beef with the network would only affect those affiliates that are owned and operated by the network (the "O&Os"). But with the vMVPDs, carriage is based on agreements with *both* the network and the local affiliate station owner. So I think if the contract lapses with either, then the station goes dark. Note that YTTV doesn't say that "ABC-owned local channels" could be lost; rather, they seem to be saying that *all* local ABC channels could disappear.

Pretty sure that the broadcast networks and their affiliates work differently on the vMVPDs than on the traditional MVPDs. With the latter, a beef with the network would only affect those affiliates that are owned and operated by the network (the "O&Os"). But with the vMVPDs, carriage is based on agreements with *both* the network and the local affiliate station owner. So I think if the contract lapses with either, then the station goes dark. Note that YTTV doesn't say that "ABC-owned local channels" could be lost; rather, they seem to be saying that *all* local ABC channels could disappear.
Yeah, this seems to be new behavior, but a recent dispute between YTTV and NBC would have resulted in the all stations potentially going dark, not just O&O.

Yeah, this seems to be new behavior, but a recent dispute between YTTV and NBC would have resulted in the all stations potentially going dark, not just O&O.
I think that's correct. But IIRC, YTTV and NBC got their dispute worked out without a blackout.

It's clever of Google to pre-announce how much customers' bill will go down if the stations go dark. The result is that seemingly half of subscribers commenting online end up saying "Fine, yank the channels and lower my bill!" Which obviously doesn't bolster the network owner's position.

I think that's correct. But IIRC, YTTV and NBC got their dispute worked out without a blackout.

It's clever of Google to pre-announce how much customers' bill will go down if the stations go dark. The result is that seemingly half of subscribers commenting online end up saying "Fine, yank the channels and lower my bill!" Which obviously doesn't bolster the network owner's position.
Yeah, one wonders if others (looking at you, Dish) will start to follow suit.

A lot of posters in the Dish Forum thought that Dish would drop the price or at the very least, not have the annual increase when the RSNs were dropped, price did not go down and the price increase happened as usual.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and ncted
Really, I won't miss most of the channels especially ABC except when bowl games are on. Same with espn programming except for FB games. I'll just pick up Directv Stream for the 5:1 surround, it doesn't look as good but will work for a quick fix through bowl season. YTTV has such great PQ even on 77" LG CX using the LG app, nothing looks as good not even the fiber I tried for a few months. I've often wondered what the PQ would look like using the Directv streaming box which supports 4k. Directv is more expensive but does have about 6 channels YTTV doesn't carry I would like to have. The main reason I haven't seriously considered Directv Stream is the lack of Redzone and NFL Network.

Hmm, I've seen lots of folks who've tried both services say the opposite: that DTV Stream has better HD picture quality than YTTV.
They're wrong, I have both right now it's not even close. Doing a 14-day trial on Directv they don't advertise but you can cancel within 14 days. The DirecTV stream is 720p across the board while YTTV has 1080p on most channels exception is ESPN, ABC, and a few others. But that's not the big deal it's PQ even the 720p looks stunning on YTTV and the LG app so the bitrate being sent is higher.

They're wrong, I have both right now it's not even close. Doing a 14-day trial on Directv they don't advertise but you can cancel within 14 days. The DirecTV stream is 720p across the board while YTTV has 1080p on most channels exception is ESPN, ABC, and a few others. But that's not the big deal it's PQ even the 720p looks stunning on YTTV and the LG app so the bitrate being sent is higher.
Nope. DirecTV Stream does 1080p. Maybe something is amiss with the DTV Stream servers for you. But I know for a fact that they stream most channels in 1080p.

OK. Not sure how that applies in this scenario though. Could you expand on your comment, so I can learn?
Youtube tv has very few employees or hardware to support..its only real expense is programming...Dish on the other hand has a satellite infrastructure, call centers and field tech to support...while it would be no big deal for yahoo to cut a price $15 when they lose programming...dish would have to layoff employees to do the same

Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts