Corrupted timers

H

HTPC4Me

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 4, 2011
16
0
US
I've only had my 922 for a couple weeks now - just long enough to setup about 60 timers of every show my wife, kids, and I want to see. I did about half through the Dish website, and half using the remote control directly. We noticed when scrolling though the timers last night though that close to half of them actually seem to be linked to a single show. The list looks 100% correct when viewing the text-based list as a whole (on the left side of the timers list) - but as you scroll through each one, many are attached to "Glee" on the right-hand side of the list (which personally, I can't stand... but that's a wife issue - not Dish's fault). Further more, we can't change priorities or add new timers at this point. No error codes or anything - it's just not possible.

I tried deleting "Glee" - mainly because I don't enjoy it much - but also thinking that perhaps that entry was corrupted... but that just moved the problem to another show (one I didn't want to delete). I figured that if I start deleting them all, eventually it'll be fixed, but suspected there might be a better way.

I called Dish, and their suggestion was to reboot (which I did at least 6 times last night while trying to solve the problem myself). When that didn't work, they said they'd need to replace the receiver - which seems a little harsh for something that looks to be a bit of corruption in the timers list (and would result in me having to reprogram everything all over again).

Does anyone have any suggestions that don't end in me having to reprogram everything?
 
H

HTPC4Me

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 4, 2011
16
0
US
Update - it occurred to me that since I created half of them on-line, perhaps I could solve my problem by editing them online... So I did. I was happy to see them all show up online correctly, so I went through each and modified them slightly - saving my changes after each. I then went back to the receiver to see if I in fact corrected my own issue.... and.... no. In fact, I made it much worse. Now every show I have seems to be linked to Glee. Again, the list of the left side of the timers page looks 100% correct - displaying every show we wanted to record.... but as you scroll through the list, it only displays details for Glee. And selecting one on the receiver to edit results in you editing the details for Glee only.

Strike one...
 
H

HTPC4Me

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 4, 2011
16
0
US
So I had a tech come out (per the CSR - if rebooting doesn't work, it has to be replaced). He said "I don't know anything about these. We had one in the shop, but I've never used it." They guy couldn't even get to the timers without my help. In the end, he left without doing anything at all... not a big help. So since then, I've been able to reproduce my issue:

1. Delete all timers, reboot system. Everything looks good.
2. Go to Dish Remote Access, set recording defaults in preferences online - No padding, keep 3 episodes, keep until space is needed.
3. Begin setting up new recordings *on line*. Go to "Later" - find the show I want recorded, select Record New or Record All, depending on the show. I put in my top 5 shows for testing.
4. Verified things on the DVR - everything looked perfect, except I noticed that it was set to keep All Episodes instead of 3. I took note, but didn't touch things there.
5. Went back to Dish Remote Access and set all 5 shows to keep only 3 episodes by editing each manually under "timers" on-line.
6. Verified things on the DVR - problem was back. Every show I edited online was now incorrectly showing up as one of the other shows.

Can anyone please try this with theirs (Take a backup first ;-) and let me know if you have any issues? I guess the next step for me is to perform a master reset and start from scratch - but I don't have a spare hard drive to save my shows off to at the moment.

How frustrating...
 
T

tubkatt

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 22, 2008
46
0
Why set up any timers online try setting them all up with the remote and see how that works for you. The remote access feature does not have to be used it is just an option. Hope this solves your issue
 
H

HTPC4Me

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 4, 2011
16
0
US
That does solve my issue, is exactly what I did (after realizing what the issue was), and works just fine... but defeats (some of) the purpose of spending an extra $200 + monthly fee to get my on-line features. It's far easier to type on a keyboard to setup 60 shows than it is to try and use their remote. The part I'd like to find out now is if it's a bug on Dish/Sling side, or if there's an issue with my receiver software. I'm suspecting that a master reset may solve my issues, but really don't want to find out the hard way and have to re-enter everything again if it's not going to help.
 

Similar threads

WheelieMan711
Replies
12
Views
3K
Giant25
G
L
Replies
2
Views
982
boba
riverdog
Replies
2
Views
867
riverdog
riverdog
larrykenney
Replies
5
Views
1K
tnsprin
tnsprin
W
Replies
0
Views
746
wingetj
W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top