This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Alignment

s0uthern

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
I am currently having some problems with rain fade. I recently upgraded to the HD package with the AT 250. I enjoy the upgrade but since it has been upgraded to the HD package I seem to get more rain fade than before. They didn't have a LOS to the 129 satellite but they put a dish for 61.5. What I am looking for is what transponders should I make sure have the best single strength on them for satellites 110, 61.5 and 119. Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me.

It will be a good idea to tell us the signal strength on the 3 satellites since you don't say what channels you're having problems with.

For 119 TP11, 110 TP11 and 61.5 TP 29. What are your signal readings?

Sorry I tried to think of everything I needed to put in the first post but guess I didn't. I live in South Carolina. When I get a fair rain I have trouble with all the channels. This has happened more since they came out to install a 2nd dish for the HD channels. I am just trying to check what the signal strength should be. Right now for instance it is just cloudy with no wind and this is what I have for signal strength on 119 Transponder 11 - 96, on 110 Transponder 11 - 96 and on 61.5 Transponder 29 - 45. This is on the 622 and my zip is 29801. The scale at the bottom reads from 0 to 125 for strength. I now have lost most of the HD channels even though it isn't raining.

29 on 129 is waaaaaaay low which would be part of your loss issues.

Have you hit menu-6-1-3 and seen if you have any other errors?

I missed the part about they had already installed a 2nd dish, sounds like it could not be aimed properly.

What do you have on trans 13 on 129. I have 91 right now with rain. I have a D500 dedicated to 129 only.

He's got a dish at 61.5. It's way too low. You could try adjusting it yourself if you feel brave and we can help you or just call Dish Network and tell them that you keep losing the HD channels and you checked your signal. They are way too low.

I am sorry guess I didn't make the last post clear on the satellites and transponder reading clear. I have a tree problem so I can not get 129. I wish I could because of the HD RSN's that I am missing since they are not mirrored on 61.5. The reading I posted before were because someone else put up the transponders on the 3 satellites that I get and I checked them just a few minutes ago.

Sat. 119 Transponder 11 - 96
Sat. 110 Transponder 11 - 96
Sat. 61.5 Transponder 29 - 45

Just re-checked Sat. 61.5 Transponder 29 - 65. This is after some of the clouds went away.

He's got a dish at 61.5. It's way too low. You could try adjusting it yourself if you feel brave and we can help you or just call Dish Network and tell them that you keep losing the HD channels and you checked your signal. They are way too low.

Damn, thats what I get for having too many windows open at once.

If you can hear your tv, set it on the SS meter and slightly tug on the dish to get an idea of where you need to go.

"I am sorry guess I didn't make the last post clear on the satellites and transponder reading clear."

He's just dizzy with all those Bruce Lee's moves.

Still too low. You should be able to get great ss on 61.5 from you location.

Still too low. You should be able to get great ss on 61.5 from you location.

I was told 61.5 was much better than 129 when I was adding a 2nd dish, just was not able to use it so I stuck with 129.

I would think if I have 80's on 129, you should be able to get atleast 90's.

You should get mid 90's on 61.5 tp 29.

Peaking the dish is not difficult, especially a single satellite dish. Have someone watch the screen (Menu,6,1,1) and read the signal strengths to you, or if you can hear the tone go by the pitch (higher is better).

Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the dish to the pole - not too much, just enough to be able to turn the dish. You might even try just warping the dish by holding the right and left edges and gently twisting it from side to side - this will give you some idea of whether to go left or right. Find the highest tone you can by adjusting the azimuth (compass orientation of whole dish unit) then retighten those two bolts.

Next note the setting of elevation and loosen the bolts on either side of the elevation adjustment. Now gently move the dish up and down to get the highest tone on the receiver. It took me about 5 minutes to peak my 61.5 the other night. Signal went from mid 70's to over 100 on some TP's. Tighten up those bolts.

You might repeat the proceedure one more time just for best of the best.

There is NO skew setting needed for one lnb, if the dish has one it should be on 90 degrees.

Thanks for the help. I will try to see what I can do with it tomorrow. I didn't think it would be to hard to adjust but wasn't sure. Didn't want to have to call and get someone out to do a simple adjustment, for the money they want now days.

Thanks for the help. I will try to see what I can do with it tomorrow. I didn't think it would be to hard to adjust but wasn't sure. Didn't want to have to call and get someone out to do a simple adjustment, for the money they want now days.

Its not hard, Im a novice and added a D500 to my 1000.2 setup thanks to the help on here.

Its easiest if you dont loosen the bolts too much when you start moving it because itll keep you from making large movements. I also made before and after marks with a sharpie in case I screwed up I could at least go back to where it was working.

try moving the elevation up or down first, most of the time that will solve the problem, if not try left to right, but like elway said dont make big movies, just slight here and there.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this post. You guys are OK.