DISH's Smart 5G™ Wireless Network is Now Available to Over 20 Percent of the U.S. Population

I have tried both the Nokia "Trashcan" and Arcadian gateways with T-mobile. When they work they are great, but not reliable in my area. I live near a State park and my theory is that when the park get busy the service slows to a crawl. Friday evenings and weekends I basically get no service. I also have to use a microcell or wi-fi calling for reliable cell service.

I am assuming a hotspot device will work as a modem/router combo. I want to share my experience with T-mobile phone and Internet service.

Where I live in the sticks (North Central KY) I use a T-Mobile can for Internet. The speed improved a lot after T-Mobile made some changes with the towers. It is very reliable now. I was interested in T-Mobile's cell phone service. They offer great deals to people over 55. My neighbor who lives not too far from me ordered two new IPhones (on a trial basis) and had the service for a week. He said it was awful. (His AT&T cell phone service was fine. He wanted a better and less expensive package.) Low connection speed and constant interrupted phone calls. They gave him a small device to install at home to improve the connection. That didn't help either. (He tried this after T-Mobile worked on the towers). He ended up cancelling T-Mobile cell and keeping AT&T service he had. He also uses T-Mobile can for Internet and is very satisfied with it as I am.

I wonder if T-Mobile somehow redirects phone connections to different towers. Could Dish do the same?

Hopefully, Dish will offer this hotspot device without too many restrictions in case it doesn't work. People should be able to return after few weeks of trying. That's one thing I admired about T-Mobile's gateway. You return it easily if not satisfied.
I agree.

I just got the TMO home internet plus two new android phones from TMO. One was free and the other one was $99. Having the two phones on the Magneta Max plan puts the home internet at $30 a month. I would like to try the Dish hotspot, but not at the risk of it not working and I am stuck with it. I believe they give you 7 days to send it back, but this is not enough time to check it out good.

I get an average of 140 mbps on the "trashcan". From the speed tests I have been seeing I don't see Dish having this speed for a while if ever.

Currently the device they are selling looks like it is only a modem. There is a single ethernet connection. So that'd go into the router. Unless it is capable of WiFi'ing itself. But it is awfully small.

That is pretty cool.
The hotspot is capable of wifi'ing. I used the 4G LTE version for years while traveling in my RV. Once I settled down I plugged it into a router. It also has the capabilities to have an outdoor antenna connected to it which is what I did.

Reactions: Yespage
I have tried both the Nokia "Trashcan" and Arcadian gateways with T-mobile. When they work they are great, but not reliable in my area. I live near a State park and my theory is that when the park get busy the service slows to a crawl. Friday evenings and weekends I basically get no service. I also have to use a microcell or wi-fi calling for reliable cell service.
I agree 100% living in a tourist town ( were you took your picture with your jeep) Its total tied to when its packed around town....slows down everything speeds up

The hotspot is capable of wifi'ing. I used the 4G LTE version for years while traveling in my RV. Once I settled down I plugged it into a router. It also has the capabilities to have an outdoor antenna connected to it which is what I did.

Is it the Netgear Nighthawk?

Currently the device they are selling looks like it is only a modem. There is a single ethernet connection. So that'd go into the router. Unless it is capable of WiFi'ing itself. But it is awfully small.

That is pretty cool.
My AT&T and Verizon hotspots are only a little larger than a credit card, about 4.5"x 2.75"x 0.75" for the AT&T and a bit smaller for the Verizon. Both can accept 15 simultaneous WiFi connections and can be tethered via USB to a PC or other device.

The 5 G boss says their next objective is to cover the high population areas so as to meet the next FCC deadline for 70 percent coverage while "monetarizing" the network to get some money coming in.

They lost the spectrum several years back and paid the fine . FCC said they cheated by using companies they controlled to get a 3 billion or so small business credit in the bidding process.

They appealed and this is the court upholding the FCC.

It does not affect their current plans.

The early adopters or paying beta testers of the Netgear hotspot are not very happy. Not only did the device not work, but they have to pay S&H fees to send it back. They also have to wait 3-4 weeks for their refund.

Dish did change the 7 day trial period to 14 days. If these start working better and Dish gives a 30 trial period I may try it.

The early adopters or paying beta testers of the Netgear hotspot are not very happy. Not only did the device not work, but they have to pay S&H fees to send it back. They also have to wait 3-4 weeks for their refund.

Dish did change the 7 day trial period to 14 days. If these start working better and Dish gives a 30 trial period I may try it.
Rule #1, listen to Scott. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts