This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DVB-S2 vs. DVBS2X

electrosat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
The great west
The main tuner for the Edision OS mio 4K s listed as including DVB-S2X with ACM. In OpenVix, when I do a "Signal Finder" scan by entering my own user defined transponder information, the choice for "System" is either DVB-S2 or DVB-S, with DVB-S2X not being an option.

Likewise, the TNAP image Manual Scan does not list DVB-S2X as an option under its "System" choice with DVB-S and DVB-S2X also being the only options.

There was a football game last night that was listed as being a DVB-S2X, 32 APSK feed. When I entered the transponder information and then chose DVB-S2 on OpenVix's Signal Finder scan (System Choice), I had a strong lock on the channel, but I could not scan the game in.

So my question is, does the OpenVix "Signal Finder" scan include DVB-S2X even though it is not an option for the "System Choice" ?

Last edited:
As I don't have a DVBSX signal to test. I asked El Bandidio to assist. Here is his reply:

- - - - - -

DVB-S2X is an extension of DVB-S2. LinuxTv has not defined DVB-S2X, so any DVB-S2X transponder will be shown as DVB-S2. The FEC is also different for DVB-S2X. The tuner driver will set the DVB-S2X FEC to Auto.

The MIO Tuner will Auto-Detect many of the transponder settings. All you need to enter for a successful scan is transponder frequency, polarity, and symbol rate. The tuner driver will take care of the rest

- - - - - -

What was the signal strength (SNR) for the TP? What was the FEC?

These are the signal levels required for DVB-S2 signals at 16 and 32APSK. Not sure if s2x needs even better. You'd need a large dish, and a very well tuned system for the higher fec's:

Reactions: electrosat
These are the signal levels required for DVB-S2 signals at 16 and 32APSK. Not sure if s2x needs even better. You'd need a large dish, and a very well tuned system for the higher fec's:

View attachment 141210

Personally, I've never seen anything over FEC 5/6 on my setup. I've seen a few (and I mean very few) 16PSK signals (there is one on 95 Ku right now) but never an FEC over 5/6.

Reactions: c-spand

Hi Brian,

Here is the exchange between myself and a member on another forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrosat

I have a good lock on this, but it will not scan in on my Edision OS mio. Is this the UCLA game?

"121 W 3800 H 34285 is a ACM signal. It was DVB-S2X 32 APSK about 40 minutes ago, now its DVB-S2X 16 APSK"

"When it was 32 APSK, crazyscan actually showed DVB-S2X. While it did not show the S2X extension when it changed to 16 APSK, it still had a DVB-S2X MODCOD and ROF..."

Unfortunately, I don't know the FEC. The signal strength was bouncing around 11dB, over 80%.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Ok, so from y'all's responses, it looks like that if you manually enter the transponder information for a "Signal Finder" search, the search will automatically include DVB-S2X channels.

The reason that I wasn't able to scan in the game last night may be that I didn't have enough signal strength for a DVB-SX2 signal (according to primestar31's chart above).

Looks like I'm gonna need a bigger dish.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Dan

Last edited:
Even if I was able to afford a 5 meter dish, the city would refuse the permit. Too bad the wife prefers to live within the city limits. I could buy some property outside the city limits and install a microwave link back to the house. That is, if I could afford it. Then there's the issue of cost versus benefit.......

Last edited:
Reactions: EmCommSat
Thanks!

Those Ubiquti Bullet M2/M5 radios are quite handy, been able to catch wifi signals using a 1m offset dish about 40mi away using a tin can feed horn. The M5 might be better for high bitrate satellite feeds though, the 2.4 GHz can be marginal if there is any kind of interference. Need line-of-sight.