This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

EchoStar Satellite Condition Information

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I came across the following information gathered from EchoStar Annual Reports and thought it would be nice to have as a reference that would be searchable on the site:

Information collected by Satellite News Digest from public EchoStar filings and by SatelliteGuys members.

Last edited:
I guess the researcher needs to update his/her records. Echostar X's failure info is missing and it has been in at least the last quarterly financial filing if not longer where I learned about it.

I guess the researcher needs to update his/her records. Echostar X's failure info is missing and it has been in at least the last quarterly financial filing if not longer where I learned about it.

I think you have the wrong satellite - I have not heard about any EchoStar X problems.

The only references in the quarterly SEC filings start with IF :

if our EchoStar X satellite experienced a significant failure,...

Yes, in the 3/31/08 filing, there is this about EchoStar V:

I don't see anything in your post stating some problems on Echostar V earlier this year, maybe that's what he's referring to.

I was referring to Echostar X. Somewhere, I picked up and put in my notes that Echostar X suffered some solar array string failures.

I checked the latest DISH filing and couldn't find it, and I can't recall what source I found it - might have been SATS? Since it's coming up on earnings season again, I'll wait and see if the info shows up in the next DISH or SATS filing or if I may be mistaken about what satellite was involved with the latest round of solar array string failures.

found it: from DISH 10-K filing in February 2008:

EchoStar X. EchoStar X’s 49 spot beams use up to 42 active 140 watt TWTAs to provide standard and HD local channels and other programming to markets across the United States. During January 2008, the satellite experienced an anomaly which resulted in the failure of one solar array circuit out of a total of 24 solar array circuits, approximately 22 of which are required to assure full power for the original minimum 12-year design life of the satellite. The cause of the failure is still being investigated.

KS, will be beneficial to add line: position/date for each existing sat ?
It will show moves and how long they did stay at each point.
Thanks for the compilation.

People say Charlie plays fast and loose but they are in a class by themselves in providing full disclosure. You will not see this detail in competitor reports.

KS, will be beneficial to add line: position/date for each existing sat ?
It will show moves and how long they did stay at each point.
Thanks for the compilation.

It's not my intention to create a satellite history or database, such things exist on the Internet ( see the source link in the first post, for starters ).

I just wanted to gather all the condition information, because EchoStar now has no backup satellites at all, and so that information is quite relevant for today.

It occurred to me just now that I should include "lack of capability by design". Starting with EchoStar 5, almost all DBS satellites included the capability for 32 transponders, both odd and even, because it became clear that they might be moved to other positions for other uses.

EchoStar 1 only has odd numbered tranponder frequencies, and EchoStar 3 has a similar limitation, I'm not sure about EchoStar 4. EchoStar 10, being so specialized may not be designed for general use, I'll have to check on all these.

People say Charlie plays fast and loose but they are in a class by themselves in providing full disclosure. You will not see this detail in competitor reports.

you got that right! I've been trying to find DIRECTV sat failure reports and they seem to not be disclosed very often in financial filings.

As in investor in both DISH and DTV, I like DISH's disclosure and DTV not so much (satellites are as much of DTV's business as DISH's, so there should be better disclosure of satellite health from DTV, IMHO).

More info that I ran across in a 2007 SEC filing: