This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Free Previews Discussion Thread - September 2022

They had a 50% off for 6 months of the Dish Movie Pack. It didn't show on the dish app but did when I logged in on the website.
So I'm all set, thanks.

Reactions: pattykay
They had a 50% off for 6 months of the Dish Movie Pack. It didn't show on the dish app but did when I logged in on the website.
So I'm all set, thanks.
Is there a way to force a guide download on a 722k other than doing a check switch? That's what I ended up doing to get the HBO preview updates last week. It seems to take a half hour to get back to use with the check switch.

Is there a way to force a guide download on a 722k other than doing a check switch? That's what I ended up doing to get the HBO preview updates last week. It seems to take a half hour to get back to use with the check switch.
I would always start by going as far to the right in the guide as it would allow me. If the guide is outdated enough, that will trigger a pop-up asking if I want it to do a guide download.

If that step didn't work, then I would simply reboot the receiver with the red button on the front panel. After the reboot, it may or may not do a guide download.

Finally, if both of the above failed, I would do the Check Switch. Of course, if the Check Switch actually is necessary to force the guide download, the total time spent doing all of the above steps would take longer than simply starting with the Check Switch to begin with.

I've never had any luck with forwarding to the end or the red power button. Even the nightly system check doesn't always work.

I don't understand why they didn't add update guide as an option in the system menu.

I will just do a check switch when I go to bed. Thanks.

I don't understand why they didn't add update guide as an option in the system menu.
On Hoppers, they did. It is in the Tools section of the Diagnostics menu. For that matter, simply leaving the Hopper in standby long enough allows you to see the progress of the guide download in the screensaver. I guess they never thought to add that to the ViP's. There used to be a trick with watching the ViP screensaver, where I could tell when it was done with any updates (such as guide updates) while it was in standby. If I remember correctly, Dish broke that trick when they switched the ViP screensaver to being only ads telling people how to upgrade to a Hopper.

New free previews started today:

296-33 Grokker 9/15 - 9/21
296-10 Comedy Dynamics Network 9/15 - 9/21
296-69 Outside TV Features 9/15 - 9/21
296-39 Here TV 9/15 - 9/21

Reactions: charlesrshell