This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting ready for 722...............

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
OK, I have a question I can't find an answer for.
I want to hook up my OTA antenna to my Dish receiver, and then to a DVD/VCR recorder and then to another DVD/VCR recorder and then to the new VIZIO 32" HDTV we just got. I want to record onto the recorders from the OTA antenna and the receiver too.
Please help. I am getting a 722 for this TV as our old JVC 32" from 1995 just went south. We have the 625 now and I am totally confused as to how to use the OTA with the new receiver.
I hope I explained this so you can understand what I would like to accomplish.

Lyle

You will need a 4-out amplifier. Channel Master makes a good one. Don't know the model, as mine is up in the attic and I'm too lazy to climb up there.

I would recommend that you use a 1:4 splitter and feed each directly from the antenna. Connect the 722 to the TV via HDMI. This gets you high definition into the TV from the 622. To record from the 722 into one of the VCRs/DVD-Rs, I would connect using S-Video and analog audio in order to get the best possible picture.

If you try to route the RF connections through the VCRs, you will lose the high definition signals.

In my setup I have a small antenna that I have split with a standard 3:1 cable splitter (622, 722, and TV), and this works fine. No special splitter/amp necessary.

That would be outstanding! I need something I can see rather than visualize in my head.
Thank you:
Lyle

OK, this is what I was trying to explain:

The downside of this is that you will need to switch the signal source at the TV. You would also need to switch the input on the VCR when you wanted to record from the 722. That can be a hassle at times for someone used to just routing everything through channel 3.

The upside is that you would get the best possible picture, including high definition from the 722. You would also be able to record 3 channels over the air, plus two from the satellite at the same time.

That's great.........Thank you!
There are a couple of questions that I still have. The RF connections to the components are self explanitory, but, my tv has only 1 input with S-video, but it has 2 Component inputs. I may have to use those from the DVD/VCRs. They both have Component outputs. They also have optical audio outputs. Will I have to forget those and use the L and R inputs? I have only 1 optical audio output from the tv.
Also when I connect the RF coax to the Ant IN ports on the components, do I just leave the Ant OUT empty?
I can't wait for the 722 to come to try hooking things up. If there is anything that I mixed up in my trying to explain things, please correct me.

Lyle

The only snag I see in your drawing and explanation is twofold.

yes, on either VCR 1 or VCR2 you will have to go component cables AND audio in. (5 wires).

On the other VCR, you can still use the S-VHS or RCA composite and you MAY have to split the audio with a "Y" cable unless EACH input on your TV has separate audio inputs for EACH input...

My guess is (from what I have seen a lot of - especially on the Vizio) is one or two HDMI inputs, 2 component inputs, 1 SVHS input (Audio inputs shared on Comp1,2 and SVHS) and blue PC (computer port), which, if you want audio to TV speakers will also require another split from a common "audio-in" on the back. The optical is likely OUT only so likely may not work on getting audio from any source TO the TV.

Or, your easiest (not cheapest) would be to add in a nice home theater amp and vid switching and solve the whole thing quite easily!

Sorry, I had to make assumptions. You generally use the best inputs available. Component will give better results than s-video, so feel free to feed component from both VCRs to the TV.

That optical connector on the TV is most likely an OUTPUT. That is intended to take the audio from the TV tuner and feed it into an external amp. You won't be able to connect the outputs from the VCR to this, and you will probably have to hook L+R audio from the VCR to the TV. Frankly, the TV speakers can just do so much. You may actually have problems finding two audio inputs associated with the two component input, as I have seen them combined in several sets.

Finally, I would experiment with connecting the component out of the 722 to the component in on the VCR. It may not work because the 722 will output high def at a bandwidth that may be too high for the VCR to decode. You can select 480i which would be decodable, but I forget if you can do this independent of the HDMI resolution. Another problem is that the component outputs are only for tuner 1 of the 722, which means you could only record what you are currently watching. If you connect to the s-video, you will get a decent 480i recording and this can be bound to output 2. That will allow you to record what is being played on tuner 2 and watch something else on tuner 1.

Sorry, that probably confused it all again. Respond back, and I will try and update the picture tonight.

Let me totally confuse you now. I first asked about what I wanted to do with my new 722 and the DVD/VCR's. I want you to know what equipment I have and let you determine what I should do to get this stuff hooked up. If you could be so kind. Here goes.

Vizio 32" LCD TV== 3 HDMI--DTV/TV--RGB PC--COMPONENT 1 & 2--AV1/S-VIDEO--AV2--1 OPTICAL (OUT)--1 ANALOG (OUT)

Samsung Digital Home Theater_ HT-Z310--HDMI (OUT)--COMPONENT (OUT)--OPTICAL AUDIO (OUT)

IMPACT ACOUSTICS_ 3-PLAY COMPONENT VIDEO DIGITAL AUDIO SELECTOR

TOSHIBA D-VR3SU DVD/VCR RECORDER (WITH COMPONENT AND OPTI AUDIO)

SAMSUNG DVD-VR300 DVD/VCR RECORDER (WITH COMPONENT AND OPTI AUDIO)

DISH NETWORK-- DVR-722
I have an OTA antenna with a booster and rotator also.
I hope this doesn't confuse anybody. I am, but I'm just learning the ropes. I sure do appreciate the help.

Lyle

Yep, that certainly changes things. The home theater system will not handle video switching, only audio, and you only have three audio inputs available

Aux1: mini-din on front panel
Aux2: RCA on rear panel
D.In: Optical

As you already found out, you will need that 3 play component video/audio switcher. It appears to have optical and analog audio in as well as component video in and out.

The Samsung dvd/r vcr only has composite/analog audio inputs
The Toshiba is so old, I can't find specs. Assume it is also only composite inputs.

I am going to make the assumption that you want to use every source, and minimize your switching. Thus, you are going to do the bulk of the switching (but not all of it) with the switcher box.

Start at the TV. Connect the home theater DVI output to the HDMI Input1. Turn off the TV speakers in the configuration screen. Connect the component output video from the switchbox to the component 1 input of the TV.

Next, connect the optical output of the switchbox to the optical input of the home theater.

Connect the 722 component outputs to channel 1 component input. connect optical output to channel 1 optical input.

Same for Samsung DVD/VCR to channel 2 component video/optical audio of the switchbox
Same for Toshiba DVD/VCR to channel 3 of the switchbox

Connect composite video output and analog l-r from the 722's TV2 output to the inputs of the Samsung DVD/VCR

Connect the composite video output and analog l-r from the 722's TV1 output to the Toshiba DVD/VCR.

Connect the antennas as described above.

If you MUST get audio from the TV tuner, connect l-r audio outputs from TV to the AUX-2 input of the receiver.

Most of the time, you will leave the TV in component 1 input. This will provide complete switching for the 722 and both DVD/VCRs. If you want to watch the DVD player in the HT system, you will need to switch the TV to HDMI and the home theater to AUX2.

Most of the time, the home theater will be set to D.In and you will switch audio with the video. Exception is when you want to watch the DVD (DVD position) and audio from the TV (AUX-2)

Heaven help you if you decide you need a Blu-Ray player. You will need to give something up.

[Editorial Mode ON:] Folks, this is why I constantly argue against HTIB systems. There simply isn't enough connectivity to do this cleanly and the poor family has to live with some complicated switching. This could be greatly simplified with a good HT receiver, such as a $350 Onkyo 606. In this case, everything would have connected to the receiver with a single HDMI output and all switching would have been accomplished with a single button push on the receiver. [Editorial Mode: OFF]

Finally - Lyle, I am actually going to be in LaCrosse this weekend to officiate at a sports car event. I am tempted to offer a visit. PM me if you want to work something out, and I'll send you my cell number.