Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

We are just starting to see new high-end HDTV’s, DVD players, and audio products including HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) connectivity. HDMI, which was conceived as the successor to DVI, for the passage of digital video signals also has the capability to carry uncompressed digital audio and video signals together through the use of one cable and connector. This means that it has the potential to bypass all other digital audio connectors including coax and optical (TosLink) and 1394. Wow! The implications are staggering. With 5.1 HDMI included in A/V Receivers, DVD players/recorders (including future Blu-ray and HD DVD players), Satellite Receivers and Cable HD Receivers, it eliminates the need for digital audio – coax and optical – and 1394 entirely to carry digital audio signals. It also makes it easy for the consumer to attach one cable instead of several from their Satellite/Cable HD Receiver, and DVD player to A/V Receiver to TV.

However, I was very troubled at the recent C.E.D.I.A. Expo to find out that one has to be careful about HDMI these days. Why do I say this? Both Audio and Video products currently on the market that utilize HDMI only passes 2.0 digital audio, and not full-blown 5.1 surround sound audio. These products include A/V Receivers, DVD players/recorders, and HDTV’s. Of course, to be fair, Silicon Image – the creator of HDMI -- claims that it can do 5.1 audio easily. However, the hard fact is that none of the connections currently on the market today are passing 5.1 audio! In an ideal world, HDMI has the capability to carry all HD video and digital audio signals including Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio and SACD via one connector plus full-blown HDTV and HD-DVD signals as well. This is a terrific scenario as is anything that will cut down on cabling clutter is a great thing. The back of my home theater looks like hundreds of strands of spaghetti wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts