This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Help Me Improve my Signal

browerjs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Beavercreek, OH
I'm splitting my OTA signal 3 ways from my Silver Sensor mounted in my attic. One one of the split lines I get no dropouts on any of the main 4 networks. On the other two lines I get pretty good reception, but will have the occassional dropout.

I'm looking for suggestions on better splitters to use or amplifiers.

Currently I'm using this a 5-900Mhz Phillips splitter. I tried a $20 amplifier from lowes before the signal went into the splitter, this didn't help at all.

Get a better antenna for the attic that will capture more signal to start with before splitting. Get 2 more silver sensors and put 1 on each line instead of splitters.

Get a better antenna for the attic that will capture more signal to start with before splitting. Get 2 more silver sensors and put 1 on each line instead of splitters.
Any recommendations for option 1? Option 2 isn't a viable option for my situation...

Try using a preamp at the antenna or an amplified distribution amp like the Channel Master 3044.

The first splitter cuts the available signal in half and the second cuts that in half again, so the first TV gets 50% of the signal and the last two get 25% each. There are splitters out there that do a 3 way split equally among all three, but you might just get pixellation on all three TVs.

You either need a better antenna (bow tie types are not recommended for attic installs) or a pre-amp like the Winegard HDP-269 (12dB gain) to overcome the splitting.

You most likely have a splitter that blocks DC (and the reason the amp did not work). Get a splitter that passes DC on at least 1 leg. Should be labeled. Use a preamp before the splitter. Feed the DC to the amp on whichever line passes the DC. You should see an increase in signal strength to confirm that everything is working. While you are up in the attic, double check the connections and use a terminator on any unused outputs if you have any.