RG6

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
My house was wired for cable to 3 rooms back in the late 80s when it was built, so I assume that's RG59. When I bought the house a few years ago, I had Dish installed and had another coax line run to the master bedroom for the TV2 feed, since I was already using the existing coax run to the bedroom for my HSI. I hope that when the installer made that run, he used RG6, as that would probably be my only RG6 coax going into my house. Stupid question time...how can I tell what kind of cable it is by visual inspection? I know little about RG6/RG59 except that I will need RG6 for the connection to the Hopper if/when I get it.

Most brands have it printed on the cable itself

connect-rg-cable-800x800.jpg

dare2be said:
My house was wired for cable to 3 rooms back in the late 80s when it was built, so I assume that's RG59. When I bought the house a few years ago, I had Dish installed and had another coax line run to the master bedroom for the TV2 feed, since I was already using the existing coax run to the bedroom for my HSI. I hope that when the installer made that run, he used RG6, as that would probably be my only RG6 coax going into my house. Stupid question time...how can I tell what kind of cable it is by visual inspection? I know little about RG6/RG59 except that I will need RG6 for the connection to the Hopper if/when I get it.

The easiest way to tell is to look at the cable. Right off the bat you can tell that RG59 cable is skinnier than RG6.

Center conductor on 59 is thinner and you can bend it over with your finger tip rather easily, whereas with rg6 you cannot.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.;):D

Came home for lunch, took a quick peek at the cable...while most of it was painted over, I did make out "3 GHz", so I believe I'm good to go there. I won't mind having the Hopper in the master bedroom as opposed to the living room where my receiver is now.

Came home for lunch, took a quick peek at the cable...while most of it was painted over, I did make out "3 GHz", so I believe I'm good to go there. I won't mind having the Hopper in the master bedroom as opposed to the living room where my receiver is now.

Only issue some folks will have with a Hopper rather than a Joey in the master bedroom is the noise of the harddrive. Dish will be doing downloads all night long.

Only issue some folks will have with a Hopper rather than a Joey in the master bedroom is the noise of the harddrive. Dish will be doing downloads all night long.
I think the fan would be louder than the harddrive, but I get your point.

As long as the sound isn't a vibration noise coming from the fan or the chassis, a little white noise wouldn't hurt.

With my eyes closed and on touch alone I can tell whether or not it is rg6 or rg59. That's sad to admit but the truth.

From the diagrams in the spec sheet post, Joey connections can use RG-59. It's only connections to Hoppers (and of course the dish(es)) that require RG-6. I assume that's because Hopper(s) still need to power the dish electronics, and also MoCA has lower bandwidth than the dish signals.

I suspect the viewing experience from a Joey will be nearly identical to directly from the Hopper but some setup tasks will probably need to be done from Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)