The Orville on Hulu

Seth needs to be commended for bringing back this style of sci-fi, which most people want, and are unfortunately not going to get with Star Trek Discovery.
From everything I've seen, it looks like CBS is already bracing for Discovery to be a flop, and they're entertaining the original anothology series idea again, that was proposed before producers settled on just Discovery.
Star Trek: Discovery Won't Be Shown to Critics
'Star Trek: Discovery' News: CBS Will Not Be Screening Upcoming Series for Critics

Also, found out why the Klingons had to be changed. During the CBS/Paramount split, CBS got the TV series and Paramount got the Movies. And since the modern Klingon design came from the movies, and not Next Generation, Paramount owns that Klingon design.

From everything I've seen, it looks like CBS is already bracing for Discovery to be a flop, and they're entertaining the original anothology series idea again, that was proposed before producers settled on just Discovery.
Star Trek: Discovery Won't Be Shown to Critics
'Star Trek: Discovery' News: CBS Will Not Be Screening Upcoming Series for Critics

Also, found out why the Klingons had to be changed. During the CBS/Paramount split, CBS got the TV series and Paramount got the Movies. And since the modern Klingon design came from the movies, and not Next Generation, Paramount owns that Klingon design.

Netflix paid 100% of the costs for this series to be created. So, IF it flops, Netflix is the one that'll hurt far worse up front.

Netflix paid 100% of the costs for this series to be created. So, IF it flops, Netflix is the one that'll hurt far worse up front.

It certainly explains the rumblings and rumors that are going on behind the scenes. Reportedly, Netflix is extremely upset about this whole situation, feeling that CBS has pulled a "bait and switch" on them, originally saying it would be a prime universe series in line with the previous TV shows, which we now know is not the case. And based off some videos I've seen discussing this, apparently taking legal action against CBS is one of the possibilities Netflix is looking into, if the ratings aren't there and the viewer feedback is mostly negative.

Reactions: TheKrell
I totally forgot about Sunday Night Football and pretty-much missed all of the 2nd episode. I did watch a little bit of it and will just wait to watch the 3rd episode on the 23rd along with a repeat of the 2nd episode. I hope it can retain those numbers and get a 2nd season.

I totally forgot about Sunday Night Football and pretty-much missed all of the 2nd episode. I did watch a little bit of it and will just wait to watch the 3rd episode on the 23rd along with a repeat of the 2nd episode. I hope it can retain those numbers and get a 2nd season.

The 3rd episode is on the 21'st (Thursday 9pm), NOT the 23rd (maybe that's a repeat date?) Thursday will be it's regular time slot from now on.

I checked and sure enough. My recording of episode 2 was at least half game. So, thanks to y'all I was able to delete that one and set a recording from the FX channel to get 2 back again, presumably in it's entirety. I'll wait on watching 3 until after I have both on my receiver.

I checked and sure enough. My recording of episode 2 was at least half game. So, thanks to y'all I was able to delete that one and set a recording from the FX channel to get 2 back again, presumably in it's entirety. I'll wait on watching 3 until after I have both on my receiver.
It's also on the "free fox" app on roku

* you have to use a cable or satellite log in to see it

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
Definitely a good idea to wait. Something happened that watching the next episode will spoil.

Partysox post above pointing out the football saved my bacon also. I padded mine an additional 90 minutes, and it worked out perfect.
I was watching the really good Rams/Redskins game when they switched us back to the rain delayed not good Cowboys/Broncos blowout. I realized then I needed to pad the timer more so than usual, otherwise I would have had to watch it on hulu instead of the dvr.

Luckily I watched this within the PTAT window so even though football would have resulted in me missing more than 30 mins of the second episode the playback just continued right along as if nothing happened because it was part of PTAT. Thanks Hopper!

Thursday's episode was pretty good. Reminded me of some of the TNG episodes with the issues they dealt with. The humor, while still there, was again toned down, and obviously not the overall driver of the show. Orville is turning out to be pretty good, which of course means fox will cancel it.

Thursday's episode was pretty good. Reminded me of some of the TNG episodes with the issues they dealt with. The humor, while still there, was again toned down, and obviously not the overall driver of the show. Orville is turning out to be pretty good, which of course means fox will cancel it.

This series has more going for it than other Fox sci-fi series: Seth McFarland, who already has multiple lucrative successful series.

So, unless it REALLY bombs hard, (or costs far too much) I think they'll keep it around quite a while. Imagine the press IF they manage to do better ratings than the new Star Trek series, or even cause that one to be canceled early?

Reactions: Foxbat
This series has more going for it than other Fox sci-fi series: Seth McFarland, who already has multiple lucrative successful series.

So, unless it REALLY bombs hard, (or costs far too much) I think they'll keep it around quite a while. Imagine the press IF they manage to do better ratings than the new Star Trek series, or even cause that one to be canceled early?
I know, I was just making a joke about Fox. I think it'll be around for a while.

As for comparing ratings with Discovery, it won't be anywhere comparable. Network TV fare will always out do internet only. The question for CBS is, will discovery draw viewers to CBS Access. I'm thinking not, as there's nothing else there to draw people.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I was impressed with the outcome of Episode 3 of "The Orville". Picard would have ended up changing the whole of Moclan society into eventual bisexuality. But this is a different universe, and MacFarlane has set his aim on "The Twilight Zone" as much as "Star Trek".

Reactions: SamCdbs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)