NFL 2024-2025 Season

With what all that's ... the NFL chooses to find a problem with the chains ?
I have not once in 50+ years cursed the Chains. The spot hundreds of times.
How would you even know they messed up the chains? Granted, spotting the ball is a pain. Should just go to the honor system. :D

With what all that's ... the NFL chooses to find a problem with the chains ?
I have not once in 50+ years cursed the Chains. The spot hundreds of times.
They are probably trying because one of the other leagues gave it a try and it seemed to work.
They don't want to be beat to the New Tech, even though they are taking what others used, or a variation of it.

They are probably trying because one of the other leagues gave it a try and it seemed to work.
They don't want to be beat to the New Tech, even though they are taking what others used, or a variation of it.
If they put a censor into the ball tethered to the chains. ball spot tied to the whistle etc got a real winner.

Reactions: AZ.
If they put a censor into the ball tethered to the chains. ball spot tied to the whistle etc got a real winner.
The Ball already has a Chip in them, however, its not the one that would work with the chain gang.

Did you happen to see the video above ... Answer me, WHY does the Official that spots the ball for the chains, HOLD the ball like its going to go somewhere ??? :eek:

Last edited:
Answer mew, WHY does the Official that spots the ball for the chains, HOLD the ball like its going to go somewhere

I think this is routine because you don't want it moving under any circumstances, and there's a lot of people around the ball, the chains themselves, the stick, etc. A lot of circumstances where someone could stumble, etc.

I think most systems are probably better and more precise than how the NFL is currently doing it. It's one of those 'taking the refs on the field out of the game' type moves that traditionalists are kind of against.

See also: sky judge.

I think this is routine because you don't want it moving under any circumstances, and there's a lot of people around the ball, the chains themselves, the stick, etc. A lot of circumstances where someone could stumble, etc.

I think most systems are probably better and more precise than how the NFL is currently doing it. It's one of those 'taking the refs on the field out of the game' type moves that traditionalists are kind of against.

See also: sky judge.
Sometimes they even toss the ball to another ref at a hash mark to place, and Then use the chains ... WHAT are they thinking ???
Of course theres a lot of those type of things that refs amy do that make you scratch your head.

Sometimes they even toss the ball to another ref at a hash mark to place, and Then use the chains ... WHAT are they thinking ???
Of course theres a lot of those type of things that refs amy do that make you scratch your head.

Typically they have their foot down where they are going to place the ball, or have established a point of reference. Sometimes it's also because they're swapping the ball out for the K-ball to kick, etc.

There's so much that goes into this stuff, I have no interest in baseball but ask my friend who umpires little league stuff all the time because the administration is so involved and generally unappreciated how complex it all can be.

This Could result in having more options to purchase the Ticket in the future ..
Such as, By the Team or by the Week ...

We shall see what they decide.

Will the ST become Ala Carte as well ?
(I doubt anything happens till the current contract is up, unless this type of thing was already negotiated with YT when the contract was approved.)

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ. and madmadworld

This Could result in having more options to purchase the Ticket in the future ..
Such as, By the Team or by the Week ...

We shall see what they decide.

Will the ST become Ala Carte as well ?
(I doubt anything happens till the current contract is up.)
MLB.TV has the option to buy a single team, NBA League Pass has the option to buy a single team. Now, the prices are ridiculous for a single team - if I remember right, NBA Team Pass was $90 for a season, but $100 for the full League Pass. MLB.TV single team is $120, which the full blown MLB.TV is $140. They are selling a single out of market team option for 85-90% of the cost of the full product.

I am surprised that this wasn't done last year when Sunday Ticket made the move to streaming - at least a team by team purchase - to avoid this issue. The price would have been through the roof - along the same lines of 85-90% of the cost of the full Sunday Ticket - but the option would have been there.

I know the argument against this for the NFL is that NBA and MLB have a certain number of local broadcasts each team is guaranteed (something like 68/82 and 150/162). Whereas with the NFL, an out of market package for the Dallas Cowboys or 49ers (which has more national games and less Sunday Ticket Games) is significantly different than say the Arizona Cardinals. The Cowboys or 49ers will most likely have only 11/17 games on Sunday Ticket, whereas Arizona will most likely have 16/17 on Sunday Ticket.

Reactions: madmadworld
Typically they have their foot down where they are going to place the ball, or have established a point of reference. Sometimes it's also because they're swapping the ball out for the K-ball to kick, etc.

There's so much that goes into this stuff, I have no interest in baseball but ask my friend who umpires little league stuff all the time because the administration is so involved and generally unappreciated how complex it all can be.
I thought once that Directv was out on it, they would test letting all providers sell it. and the league would take a set amount from each sale, just like other PPV products. if it was just easier ($) later then go with a YouTube model.

I thought once that Directv was out on it, they would test letting all providers sell it. and the league would take a set amount from each sale, just like other PPV products. if it was just easier ($) later then go with a YouTube model.
I am guessing that the NFL did the math that it was more profitable to go the route of YouTube. YouTube is paying the NFL north of $2 billion per year - guaranteed money regardless of how many subscriptions they sell. If they went the PPV route available to all providers, at a $400 price tag, there would need to be about 5 million subscribers. I personally don't think that there are 5 million fans willing to pay $400 per year for Sunday Ticket - even if everyone had Fiber internet. Reports were that YouTube had about 1.3 million pay for Sunday Ticket, DirecTV maxed out around 1.5 million. That is far from the 5 million needed at the $400 price point to make $2 billion a year.

MLB.TV has the option to buy a single team, NBA League Pass has the option to buy a single team. Now, the prices are ridiculous for a single team - if I remember right, NBA Team Pass was $90 for a season, but $100 for the full League Pass. MLB.TV single team is $120, which the full blown MLB.TV is $140. They are selling a single out of market team option for 85-90% of the cost of the full product.

I am surprised that this wasn't done last year when Sunday Ticket made the move to streaming - at least a team by team purchase - to avoid this issue. The price would have been through the roof - along the same lines of 85-90% of the cost of the full Sunday Ticket - but the option would have been there.

I know the argument against this for the NFL is that NBA and MLB have a certain number of local broadcasts each team is guaranteed (something like 68/82 and 150/162). Whereas with the NFL, an out of market package for the Dallas Cowboys or 49ers (which has more national games and less Sunday Ticket Games) is significantly different than say the Arizona Cardinals. The Cowboys or 49ers will most likely have only 11/17 games on Sunday Ticket, whereas Arizona will most likely have 16/17 on Sunday Ticket.
I agree with you about the ridiculous price for Single Teams, however they WANT you to buy the whole package.

If you follow multiple teams ( I do more now than ever)

The over all cost of the Sunday Ticket is ridiculous .... but its the only way to see the different games.

When they have games 5 days a Week and Sunday Ticket Only covers 1 of them ... thier value drops every year.

I am guessing that the NFL did the math that it was more profitable to go the route of YouTube. YouTube is paying the NFL north of $2 billion per year - guaranteed money regardless of how many subscriptions they sell. If they went the PPV route available to all providers, at a $400 price tag, there would need to be about 5 million subscribers. I personally don't think that there are 5 million fans willing to pay $400 per year for Sunday Ticket - even if everyone had Fiber internet. Reports were that YouTube had about 1.3 million pay for Sunday Ticket, DirecTV maxed out around 1.5 million. That is far from the 5 million needed at the $400 price point to make $2 billion a year.
Because the value and deal is worth more to Google than just getting people to sign up to buy Sunday ticket. It's a vehicle for both brand value and subscriber growth for their pay tv service and a partnership in other areas.

Because the value and deal is worth more to Google than just getting people to sign up to buy Sunday ticket. It's a vehicle for both brand value and subscriber growth for their pay tv service and a partnership in other areas.
Since YTTV picked up 1.9 Million new subs last year, some would assume, was because of YTTV having ST, plus the fact it is a great service at a much less expensive price.

Thanks for the report. so the math.
1.3 x $400=520 million
1.9 x $100= 190 million
$710 million vs $2 billion

If you are a Big fan even if you pay $400 that's the cost of a family going to 1 game. or less

Thanks for the report. so the math.
1.3 x $400=520 million
1.9 x $100= 190 million
$710 million vs $2 billion

If you are a Big fan even if you pay $400 that's the cost of a family going to 1 game. or less
Maybe I should be fully awake before doing math :biggrin

1.3 x $400=520 million

1.9 x $100 x 12 = 2280 million

$2.8 billion vs $2 billion...well

2024 NBA Post Season