1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

Lucky said:
Scott, can you upgrade two 811's at once. Is that considered two tuners ?

My understanding would be that two 811s is two RECEIVERS, and you could only get one upgraded. A 942 would be one RECEIVER, but TWO tuners. :confused:

Stupid Dish, always making things difficult and confusing. CSR roulette is gonna be interesting in the next few months.

Sean Mota said:
No.

I do not know what the heck this means.

Limit 1 HD Receiver Per Transaction
Limit 1 upgrade per 12 month period
Limit 2 tuners per transaction.
perhaps they have a dual tuner hd box (like 322) coming out?

So if I wanted to upgrade two 811's my only option would be to upgrade one and I would have to buy the other. Is this correct ?

Sean Mota said:
This BS. There's got to be some LAW out there that protects consumers from this type of crap. I own 3 HDTV sets. Two 6000s and one 942. I can only upgrade one. What type of nonsense is that?

The law might be on your side when/if the time comes that they deliberately remove all HD channels from MPEG2 and render your equipment obsolete. Until then it is a strictly voluntary upgrade where only subs who feel the added value is worth it are subject to any extra cost.

I haven't seen any E* ads (what's up with that?), but if they made some claim, like D* did, regarding expanding their HD offering in the near future - then they should have disclosed that investing in E* HD hardware would not necessarily insure that you would have access to that future HD programming.

Aside from that, it's not to say that it doesn't suck.

So you can only get the rebate once, and you can't lease a 2nd 622?

So they figure if you can afford two HDTVs you can also afford the vasoline?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish now has over 200 hours of HD a day, which is over 14,000 hours of HD a week.
Hmmm..... They must have weeks that are a lot longer than the customary 7 days that most people have. :D

I am not paying anything for them to just swap my 811 with a 211... someone better climb up onto my roof and do something if they want 100 bucks from me.

Yes, for me this may be the deciding factor. I have two leased 811's. If they will only upgrade one I might just be forced to switch to DirecTV. I have no other choice. I refuse to upgrade only one. So my options would be to upgrade one now and buy another or switch to anothe service. Tough choice, but Dish is forcing my hand. Upgrading only one receiver is stupid and very disrespectful to their current customers.

Lucky said:
Yes, for me this may be the deciding factor. I have two leased 811's. If they will only upgrade one I might just be forced to switch to DirecTV. I have no other choice. I refuse to upgrade only one. So my options would be to upgrade one now and buy another or switch to anothe service. Tough choice, but Dish is forcing my hand. Upgrading only one receiver is stupid and very disrespectful to their current customers.

Amen to you brother. I'm with you on that!

Sean Mota said:
This BS. There's got to be some LAW out there that protects consumers from this type of crap. I own 3 HDTV sets. Two 6000s and one 942. I can only upgrade one. What type of nonsense is that?

Their response will be that you can still receive all of the existing channels you have today on those receivers.

Just playing Devil's Advocate....

You could always pay full price but I think they are doing this to try and stretch the supply they have available to as many households as they can until supply can catch up to demand...

We all knew this Mpeg4 transition would be wrenching..... The storm is finally here....

Well, I waited a year to get the 2nd 811 for the bedroom. Wife and I don't watch a lot of stuff in there, mostly OTA, so I can wait again.