Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
24 more hours left until we see more HD channels :)
I don't know about you guys, but I am excited. :D

If they throw in a surprise or two I'll be excited .. but the ones they have mentioned would be of little to no use to me at all. I don't watch sports at all - so the ESPN news is one of the last things i would ever tune to .. and we don't have kids .. so the Disney stuff is also of little interest to me .. now if they managed to squeeze the travel channel in there too somehow .... ;)
Hey - a man can dream can't he. ?

Nice to see that they are adding stuff though - that's never a bad thing.

p.s. i thought it was Tuesday/Weds they would be going live... not tomorrow.

sweet. I am getting hooked up on Monday. I am coming over from dish network. I was sick of Dish never adding any new hd. A couple channels i would like to see directv pick up in hd in addition would be chiller hd and wgn hd.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Directv is not launching any hd channels tomorrow.

I hope we get ESPNews HD tomorrow I have been waiting for this to be HD since day 1 when I heard this was going HD

Does anyone know if any other provider is offering ESPNewsHD? The reason I ask is why would ESPN adveritse a product that no one will see except for one hour at 8 am et. Just thinking maybe Directv has a deal with ESPN to launch the channel tomorrow. I know I am thinking about this way to much.

Not saying they arent, because I have heard it elswhere, but where did you get your info? Was there a press release?
He doesn't have any info. He is trying to brag about the fact that FiOS MAY have for 2 days only, 1 and only 1, HD channel that Direct does not have. He is just trying to make us feel envious of FiOS. He fails to realize that FiOS is WAYYYYYY more inferior than Direct in the number of HD channels, the number of markets available, the number of costumers served, the number of package options, the number of sports packages, the ability to receive OTA channels through the receiver, the number of locals in my area, and bandwidth limitations determined not only the the number of channels, but unlike satellite, the number of costumers and the distance from the source. I can come up with many more. But he will just ignore them anyway, somehow thinking it is an upgrade for me to switch???

OT: I think it will be Wednesday as this is the day Direct usually adds new content. 3 days later than FiOS...(If FiOS adds it at all).

He doesn't have any info. He is trying to brag about the fact that FiOS MAY have for 2 days only, 1 and only 1, HD channel that Direct does not have. He is just trying to make us feel envious of FiOS. He fails to realize that FiOS is WAYYYYYY more inferior than Direct in the number of HD channels, the number of markets available, the number of costumers served, the number of package options, the number of sports packages, the ability to receive OTA channels through the receiver, the number of locals in my area, and bandwidth limitations determined not only the the number of channels, but unlike satellite, the number of costumers and the distance from the source. I can come up with many more. But he will just ignore them anyway, somehow thinking it is an upgrade for me to switch???

Fios allows you to use 3rd party receivers like the tivo hd which is far superior to the hr21 and allows the use of OTA (which directv's latest receiver does not).

The rest of your argument is pretty irrelevant to subs who have the choice between fios and directv, what sub is going to care what their provider is doing on a national basis.

The rest of your argument is pretty irrelevant to subs who have the choice between fios and directv, what sub is going to care what their provider is doing on a national basis.

Alas, this is the crux of the problem. There are so few FIOS lines currently run that subscription availability remains their biggest problem.

As a former Verizon subscriber (ADSL/landline/cell), there was a "probably never" offered to me by Verizon when I asked about the chance of FIOS in the near future (2-3 years). DirecTV, on the other hand, is readily accessible in the contiguous 48 states and beyond. So, channel accessibility trumps channel availability in this case.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
Fios allows you to use 3rd party receivers like the tivo hd which is far superior to the hr21 and allows the use of OTA (which directv's latest receiver does not).

Well Fios is not even available in most markets so is not even be an option for most people. Therefore, most of what you state is null. Most people do have an option to use cable, D* or E* which should be the discussion here, just my opinion.

Now when Fios is more readily an option and is available to the masses then we can use it as an option. But for me I am excited for some new D* HD channels. I just switched from E*(with them for 4 years) just over a week now and love D* and more HD is great.

Irrelevant too me as I have the HR20 and TiVOs (which I have in my room btw are mpeg 2 only.
[
quote]The rest of your argument is pretty irrelevant to subs who have the choice between fios and directv, [/quote]

Again you fail to address any of my points because you know I am right. Name one additional thing, besides the slightly better PQ for the much fewer HD channels, that would make me want to choose FiOS over Direct. Just one. Keep in mind I can all of my locals in HD OTA through my receiver and FiOS offers only one more local (9 locals) in HD that Direct (8 locals in HD) does not offer (a PBS station that I do not watch anyway). I am still waiting for you to tell me how this would be an upgrade?

I can list at least 10 very things that Direct has the advantage over FiOS for me and only 1 (very slightly better PQ) that FiOS has over Direct for me.

what sub is going to care what their provider is doing on a national basis.

MOST OF THEM. The reason MOST people choose cable or satellite is for national channels. Most can get locals for free OTA. It seems that my argument is very relevant.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)