105 Satellite

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Whats the deal with this satellite? I heard there were some problems relating to it and that a new satellite would be taking over the 105 orbit soon? I'm pretty sure I use this as on one of my tv's it says "You have succesfully pointed to 105 degree satellite" or something like that. Using a Super Dish, have attempted to change to 110 but it doesn't look like it'll let me for some reason ;(

correct
105 doesn't cover the 48 real well. Where I am in MN, my signal is around 45-47 (on a 100 scale). I can pick up the "you have a superdish" channel on my free to air system, but its lower.
121 (the other SD spot), I can get a 89 on it :)

The new satellite will be replacing this one.

The replacement for 105 (AMC-15) is currently driving around the universe...

Actually Dish has decided to do testing in several orbital slots before moving the satellite into 105. They do not seem to be in a hurry to get the satellite into place.

The FCC has authorized SES Americom, the owner of AMC-15 to do Ka band testing through May 21, 2005 at 113 W. AMC-15 must then begin its "drift" to the 105 W location. Obviously Dish can ask SES Americom to move to 105 W sooner but I would expect that AMC-15 would be in place at 105 W no later than 1 June 2005.

Has anyone been able to lock in on that satellite and see what kind of signal you can get from it (perhaps with a satellite meter or FTA receiver)?

68 signal strength. Funny I thought I was using 105 originally but according to my setup it says I'm using 119. If I change to one of the channels tho it says congratulations you have pointed your dish to 105 degrees or whatever. My tv in the garage area is using 110, my mothers is on a 322 receiver and that's locked on 105 from settings, about 63 signal on transponder 11

Stargazer said:
Has anyone been able to lock in on that satellite and see what kind of signal you can get from it (perhaps with a satellite meter or FTA receiver)?

If you meant AMC-15, it is currently at 117 W and testing in Ka band. I don't know how many folks out there if any can receive Ka band. AMC-15 is not authorized to test Ku band at 117 W or at 113 W, its next test location only Ka band.

Yes, I meant AMC-15. I was just curious what kind of signal strength one is able to achieve from this bird but would probalby vary as it is moving to 105. I didn't know if any FTA receivers would be able to pick it up or not.

I did check for the 117 degree using my 1m round dish with Ku FSS LNBF ( works fine for 105 and 121 satellites ) today. Analog signal finder did show some signal between LNBF and Dish receiver ( DP301d @ P205 ), but the receiver got no signal bar or lock on any transponders. I did try all combinations of satellite type (105 or 121) and transponder's number.

Man it sure is taking them a long time to get that bird tested. Seems kind of strange don't it.

Charlie is up to something, what it is I don't have a clue.

I for one wish they would hurry up. Springtime is comming soon and from where I live it storms alot. Oh btw Scott thanks for your help this morning.

PILMAN said:
68 signal strength. Funny I thought I was using 105 originally but according to my setup it says I'm using 119. If I change to one of the channels tho it says congratulations you have pointed your dish to 105 degrees or whatever. My tv in the garage area is using 110, my mothers is on a 322 receiver and that's locked on 105 from settings, about 63 signal on transponder 11
It appears you may not understand how it works.

A given receiver is not using just one bird, they switch depending on which channel you want to watch. Your locals are on 105, "basic cable" is on 110, other stuff on 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)