150 HD Channels By The End of 2008

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
Who thinks they will reach this goal? My count today shows that they have 102 including NY DMA locals.

A portion from the attached linked article:

In the spring of 2008, Verizon will begin expanding its HD lineup as well as the sports and multicultural program offerings on FiOS TV. Verizon initially will double the current number of HD channels, on a market-by-market basis, to more than 60, including additional sports channels. Verizon expects to have more than 150 HD channels by year-end 2008 as it continues to add to its HD lineup and programmers launch new channels. The company also will add standard-definition sports, multicultural and other programming during the year

Verizon | Verizon Plans Fivefold Increase in HD Channels on FiOS TV in 2008

Who thinks they will reach this goal? My count today shows that they have 102 including NY DMA locals.

A portion from the attached linked article:

In the spring of 2008, Verizon will begin expanding its HD lineup as well as the sports and multicultural program offerings on FiOS TV. Verizon initially will double the current number of HD channels, on a market-by-market basis, to more than 60, including additional sports channels. Verizon expects to have more than 150 HD channels by year-end 2008 as it continues to add to its HD lineup and programmers launch new channels. The company also will add standard-definition sports, multicultural and other programming during the year

Verizon | Verizon Plans Fivefold Increase in HD Channels on FiOS TV in 2008

I hope they do..... But Are there even 150 total HD channels currently broadcasting ??

Well, using DirecTV and Dish Network HD numbers mathmatics, you can add 14 more NHL Center Ice HD channels for a total of 116.
AFAIK, DirecTV does NOT count any part-time 'game-only' channels in its channel counts. AFAIK DISH does.

FiOS does NOT count its on-demand or part-time channels either.

AFAIK, DirecTV does NOT count any part-time 'game-only' channels in its channel counts. AFAIK DISH does.
I think they both do now. According to their channel lineup, Premier adds about 40 channels to their HD count, but there are only 37 additional full-time channels and eight game only.
FiOS does NOT count its on-demand or part-time channels either.
They will fall in line with the competition's counting system unless they can devise a new one that puts them ahead.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)