18 years and I may cut the cord!

You Tube TV does not have the Science Channel or the History Channel. Not having those 2 channels, I will not be switching to You Tube TV from Dish.
Before I signed up with YTTV, I already had a subscription to Discovery+ at $4.99/mo. They carry both the Science Channel and the History Channel. On my Firestick, most of YTTV, Discovery+, and FrndlyTV listings that I also subscribe to at $6.99/mo all show up on the "Live TV" menu. I subscribed to Discovery+ and FrndlyTV long before I subscribed to YTTV.

How can anything be better than satellite picture
My Paramount Plus has way better picture quality then Dish. I had read that with Dish, the satellite feed to the DVR and live TV is somehow degraded a bit in a conversion process. Paramount Plus, You Tube TV, and HULU give you a true digital signal picture,thus a better picture.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Paramount Plus has way better picture quality then Dish. I had read that with Dish, the satellite feed to the DVR and live TV is somehow degraded a bit in a conversion process. Paramount Plus, You Tube TV, and HULU give you a true digital signal picture,thus a better picture.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

But yes satellite will always have lower picture quality due to compression and other processing. Just about all HD satellite channels will be 720p.

All Television Programming has compression, even OTA.

100% untrue.
Sure everything has compression but satellite has the most to reduce bandwidth. Satellite transponder only have so much room and not as easy to upgrade as ground based systems.

And yes more channels will be 720p than there is 1080i. Sure the receivers can go up to 4k but the programming for most things is still 720p. Sure the receiver can outpIt 1080 to the TV but the actual show is will be 720.

• Wow
Sure everything has compression but satellite has the most to reduce bandwidth. Satellite transponder only have so much room and not as easy to upgrade as ground based systems.

And yes more channels will be 720p than there is 1080i. Sure the receivers can go up to 4k but the programming for most things is still 720p. Sure the receiver can outpIt 1080 to the TV but the actual show is will be 720.
Top stations in 1080i
All CBS/ Paramount owned
All AMC owned
All NBC/Universal owned
All Warner Discovery owned
All A&E owned
Hallmark

Top stations in 1080i
All CBS/ Paramount owned
All AMC owned
All NBC/Universal owned
All Warner Discovery owned
All A&E owned
Hallmark

The station being in 1080 and being in 1080 by time it gets to your TV are two seperate things.

For example I can stream video to YouTube and on my computer everything at the source is 1080 but it's then down scaled to 720 to reduce bandwidth, plus youtube will compress it and reduce image quality even further.

Also I'd prefer 720p to 1080i any day. So even if it made it to your TV in 1080i if there's any fast motion it will look better in 720p.

My Paramount Plus has way better picture quality then Dish.
That is true on my Roku TV's but not on my 4K FireTV Stick, and I do not know why. On my sticks, Paramount+ programs start out horribly pixelated and only ponderously over time does that improve.

Sling is what he is referring to.
In regards to Sling and locals, I have an Air TV Anywhere box that connects to an outdoor antenna. It has DVR capabilities for local channels built-in, the channels are listed at the top of the guide, and there is no monthly fee. While you don't have an automatic skip, you can fast-forward through commercials with your remote. I received it as part of a promotion with Sling when I first signed up. It wasn't free, but the price was at a significant discount. If you are able to get locals over the air and want to try Sling, you could call and see if the offer is still available.

Sling is what he is referring to.
Since I already get my locals OTA, Sling would be fine with me, if and when.
In regards to Sling and locals, I have an Air TV Anywhere box that connects to an outdoor antenna. It has DVR capabilities for local channels built-in, the channels are listed at the top of the guide, and there is no monthly fee. While you don't have an automatic skip, you can fast-forward through commercials with your remote. I received it as part of a promotion with Sling when I first signed up. It wasn't free, but the price was at a significant discount. If you are able to get locals over the air and want to try Sling, you could call and see if the offer is still available.
Just checked, it's still free, for a Mini.

I have the Tv Anywhere ota dvr with 4 tuners that I bought when we went to SlingTv. It does record 4 ota channels at the same time and it comes with an internal hard drive. It works pretty good.

I have the Tv Anywhere ota dvr with 4 tuners that I bought when we went to SlingTv. It does record 4 ota channels at the same time and it comes with an internal hard drive. It works pretty good.
That one would cost 99.99 now.($79.99 new on Ebay)..still a good deal for 4 tuners with Hard Drive.

We are coming up on renewal day for our 30 day YTTV trial. Last night we had a discussion of what problems we each have with going all streaming instead of back to Dish, and decided that the few remaining issues are just learning curve related, and no way worth the $840/year it would cost us to go back to Dish. So now we've extended our trial to 6 months before re-evaluating again, although I think I already know what the answer will be then.

We are coming up on renewal day for our 30 day YTTV trial. Last night we had a discussion of what problems we each have with going all streaming instead of back to Dish, and decided that the few remaining issues are just learning curve related, and no way worth the $840/year it would cost us to go back to Dish. So now we've extended our trial to 6 months before re-evaluating again, although I think I already know what the answer will be then.
Welcome to the dark side.

Well you will be replacing me, as mine is set to end service on Feb.6, but I will be back in September.

I have a list of what is on Paid Live TV, streaming services or both.

Now that almost all content I watch from paid Live TV ( and it is a lot) is on streaming services, just not worth it anymore to keep paying for something I barely use.

The last thing on my list (CNN was also on that list, now streaming on MAX as of a few months ago) is College Football, so I will go back to YTTV for September till January, for hopefully the last time, since ESPN goes streaming in the early part of 2025.

Now this is not a who is better post, YTTV vs Dish for example, this is a Broadcast/Cable Channels are providing less and less new content post.

Why should I pay for CBS via YouTube TV, when I can subscribe direct, get all the CBS/Viacom/Paramount content from Live TV , plus all the exclusive streaming shows and a Live Feed of CBS and Showtime.

Welcome to the dark side.

Well you will be replacing me, as mine is set to end service on Feb.6, but I will be back in September.

I have a list of what is on Paid Live TV, streaming services or both.

Now that almost all content I watch from paid Live TV ( and it is a lot) is on streaming services, just not worth it anymore to keep paying for something I barely use.

The last thing on my list (CNN was also on that list, now streaming on MAX as of a few months ago) is College Football, so I will go back to YTTV for September till January, for hopefully the last time, since ESPN goes streaming in the early part of 2025.

Now this is not a who is better post, YTTV vs Dish for example, this is a Broadcast/Cable Channels are providing less and less new content post.

Why should I pay for CBS via YouTube TV, when I can subscribe direct, get all the CBS/Viacom/Paramount content from Live TV , plus all the exclusive streaming shows and a Live Feed of CBS and Showtime.
The problem I ran into with Paramount and Peacock and their local channels, was the number of locations we traveled to where the apps didn't have the locals available. If we couldn't get the locals OTA in those areas either, then that meant dragging out our Dish dish and setting it up even for a one night stop.