Must I use a switch or splitter between Dish Satellite and Receiver?

Palmapple

Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
Florida
I am using Hopper with Sling. Not sure which dish I am using, but it has 3 white tube things in front of the dark colored dish. Look like those LNBF things by online pictures.

My service was put on pause because I do not watch much programs from Dish and I only unpause it when I need to watch programs not avaliable on local tv and streamings. The local TV programs and streaming are more than I could spend time on TVs.

But my local TV interrupted if I have to connect it to the receiver for recording purpose. The reason was the 3 tuners no longer work because complete or partial signal loss. Long story short, the loss signal was due to the erosion on outdoor connector between one coaxial and the Hybrid Solo Hub splitter. But I found out this only after I had moved the dish on its elevation and skews. Though I think I retunred the dish back to what it originally was by remembering their mark near the bolts. The coaxial pin broke and stuck inside the Hybrid Solo Hub splitter which could no longer be used. So I took it off and directly connected the Dish and receiver via coaxial cable. But I still could not get signal and the Check Switch Status Progress stuck at "Please wait while your switch installation is checked.", message code 833. I am not certain if it's because I am not using the Hybrid Solo Hub splitter or because the Dish is no longer accurately pointing to the satellite. I contact Dish and they said I must reactivate my service for them to sent technician to look at it and solve it. I need the satellite be locked for the tuners to work to record local OTA programs.

So, must I use the Hybrid Solo Hub splitter between the dish and Hopper w Sling? I think there is a reason the previous Dish technician used it between the dish and receiver. Note: I only use the Hopper and do not have any Joey.

I checked the label on the dish. It has the name of "Digital LNBF". The logo above the name is "dpH" without "Pro" or "Plus". Maybe it's the simple 500 but I am not sure.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm from the old ViP school, but I believe you should get signal directly from the dish. Was the splitter used in order to connect more than one receiver? Likely you are off-aim. Even a very cheap signal meter would help a lot, but it's possible to get back on track by making sure the skew setting is right for your latitude (likely you didn't even mess with that) and that the elevation is where it originally was (could be nut/bolt marking of the metal you can match back up with). Then simply aim the dish in general direction it previously looked and put the receiver on "point dish" screen. Then have someone very slowly move the dish east & west on the post until signal indication is seen. If you manage to get a weak signal, then stop and try adjusting elev. in small increments. Once on any kind of registered signal, it becomes just a matter of small tweaks which you can even do by self though it can take time to keep going back to the dish to try another tweak.

While the hub should be there, it will work without it. It doesn't take much to be out if alignment so if you got it back pretty close you cab probably gently pull the reflector left, right, up and down one at a time and see if it comes back on. If it does then you know that's the direction the dish needs to go. On the 119 you are looking for signal in the upper 50s to 70 depending on where you are.

Thank you both for the quick reply. I think you are right. And I also read on an article that include the connection dirrectly from dish to receiver. I do have a "SF-95DR" Digital Satellite Finder. I tried it for a few minutes and the screen did not light up at all. it does not have its own battery and is powered by the receiver once connected between the LNB and receiver. It's on roof top. I will try to play around again once I have wider time window.

Thanks again.