1am reboot? Any way to change the time?

LASooner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 29, 2005
I can't seem to find where I can change the reboot time on the H3. When I'm watching recordings or live TV on my Joeys, late at night, suddenly the Hopper would reboot, then I noticed it always seemed to happen around 1am and found out it is when the box updates. It's really weird that it should be doing a maintenance update when someone is watching something recorded on the DVR. And even weirder it doesn't prompt you it's about to reboot when you're watching from the Joey. So did I miss where to change this or is this a feature that's going to piss me off from now until the end of time?

I can't seem to find where I can change the reboot time on the H3. When I'm watching recordings or live TV on my Joeys, late at night, suddenly the Hopper would reboot, then I noticed it always seemed to happen around 1am and found out it is when the box updates. It's really weird that it should be doing a maintenance update when someone is watching something recorded on the DVR. And even weirder it doesn't prompt you it's about to reboot when you're watching from the Joey. So did I miss where to change this or is this a feature that's going to piss me off from now until the end of time?
There is no way to change it but it will not reboot unless it is completely idle (nothing recording as well as in standby mode) At least that has been most every H3 users experience (including mine) This was a major departure from the way that the old Hoppers worked. If yours is rebooting out from under you, that is very unusual.

I hate to ask this BUT are you SURE you have a H3?

This is a big issue for the other hoppers but not the H3.

And if it's not a H3 the only solution (other then getting a H3) is to set a recording of something from 1 am till bedtime because it pops up every hour. UGH Pissed just thinking of those days. :)

Reactions: xfoneguy
And if it's not a H3 the only solution (other then getting a H3) is to set a recording of something from 1 am till bedtime because it pops up every hour. UGH Pissed just thinking of those days. :)
You are right - something is "majorly" wrong with this picture. The fact that the Hopper no longer shuts me down in the middle of a program and cuts my recordings in pieces is alone, almost enough to make me switch (if I hadn't already)

Yeh, I thought, if you're talking the 1am "Blackout No Warning" reboot, it was only on HwS. There's nothing that can be done to stop it. Set timers and recordings that are in process at that time will only get chopped. Now the 1:30amish Nightly Reboot is controllable. At least it puts up a warning that allows you to stop it for an hour, then stop the next one, rinse repeat. The "Blackout No Warning Reboot" is something that showed up around S529 and has been with us ever since.

I haven't been up for a Joey, but my guess is that it still shuts down, while the Hopper remains "active".

I have the same issue. Hopper 3 with v309 and once a week it reboots @1 AM, and I even have a recording scheduled that gets split (Late Late Show with James Corden). Most of the time it doesn't kill too much, but last week I lost the last few minutes of carpool karaoke

You have to turn the H3 and Joeys off every once in a while so the H3 has time to update and download. If you don't then it will reboot on it's own as you guys have found out.

Reactions: spoiler1041
It does it more than once a week, it does it once per day. Why not 4 am for crying out loud? Why does it have to be around 1 am? Why not let us choose like we could with the 722?

It does it more than once a week, it does it once per day. Why not 4 am for crying out loud? Why does it have to be around 1 am? Why not let us choose like we could with the 722?

I've got 2 Hopper 3's here and neither of them reboot at 1AM.

The old UI in the H1 and H2 rebooted every night at around 1AM, not the H3 or the H2 with the new UI. Be sure you have 'Standby' under settings set to 'Off' and you should be fine.

Mine
I've got 2 Hopper 3's here and neither of them reboot at 1AM.

The old UI in the H1 and H2 rebooted every night at around 1AM, not the H3 or the H2 with the new UI. Be sure you have 'Standby' under settings set to 'Off' and you should be fine.
WHAT????

Although I actually have mine set to OFF, this advice seems 100% wrong. The issue seems to be the units not going into standby (forcing a weekly reboot to do download ) so it should be ON with the shortest time frame (4 hours I think).

I'm not saying you are wrong..... i'm asking why is what you suggest right.

I have the same issue. Hopper 3 with v309 and once a week it reboots @1 AM, and I even have a recording scheduled that gets split (Late Late Show with James Corden). Most of the time it doesn't kill too much, but last week I lost the last few minutes of carpool karaoke
That is so weird - I watch TV until at least 2 and more like 3AM every nite and i have never seen a message, nor has my H3 rebooted unless I deliberately put it in "idle mode" for an expected software update. No more split recordings. All that has been past history as far as I could tell.

Reactions: peggy97850
Is it asking to reboot or just rebooting?

Are you running u309?

It just reboots,no message. I'll be watching a recording around 1 on my Joey in the bedroom and suddenly it stops and my Joey gives me the message that it has lost connection with the H3.

I do have u309.

My standby was set to 8 hours, I set it to off to see if that changes anything.

It just reboots,no message. I'll be watching a recording around 1 on my Joey in the bedroom and suddenly it stops and my Joey gives me the message that it has lost connection with the H3.

I do have u309.

My standby was set to 8 hours, I set it to off to see if that changes anything.
With standby set to OFF you will need to make sure ALL units get turned off each night.

Mine

WHAT????

Although I actually have mine set to OFF, this advice seems 100% wrong. The issue seems to be the units not going into standby (forcing a weekly reboot to do download ) so it should be ON with the shortest time frame (4 hours I think).

I'm not saying you are wrong..... i'm asking why is what you suggest right.

You can set the Inactivity to whatever you want but if the thing doesn't get turned off every once in a while it will reboot on it's own. It's that simple.

You can set the Inactivity to whatever you want but if the thing doesn't get turned off every once in a while it will reboot on it's own. It's that simple.
I agree but isn't putting inactivity to off insuring the box never goes into standby thus in reality forcing the box to automatically reboot which is exactly what we are trying to avoid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)