Pursuit Channel Change

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have been out of town for the past 10 days, just got back yesterday, and have been out of the loop. So sorry if this has been mentioned already. I see there is a slate on channel 389 that you will need a Hopper to view the channel starting on 2/7/24. Seems like the channel is going to be streaming only. MyDISH

I wonder if this is going to be a thing going forward that some channels will be taken off of satellite and moved completely to a streaming format. I know this has been done for some other channels. But does anyone know - will a Wally be able to view 393 once this change occurs? I know a Wally can view the streaming HBO channels, but this link specifically mentions needing the Hopper.

The Pursuit Channel, 393, is available today as an SD channel. When it goes to streaming it will be HD. I believe that the Wally is streaming compatible so should see this as well. Keep in mind that you will need both the Hopper or Wally and be internet connected.

I have been out of town for the past 10 days, just got back yesterday, and have been out of the loop. So sorry if this has been mentioned already. I see there is a slate on channel 389 that you will need a Hopper to view the channel starting on 2/7/24. Seems like the channel is going to be streaming only. MyDISH

I wonder if this is going to be a thing going forward that some channels will be taken off of satellite and moved completely to a streaming format. I know this has been done for some other channels. But does anyone know - will a Wally be able to view 393 once this change occurs? I know a Wally can view the streaming HBO channels, but this link specifically mentions needing the Hopper.
That’s what I was thinking as well is that they’re going to move the rest of the SD slate to streaming rather than launching a satellite version of it. Channels that come to mind are the movie channels that are not high definition, MTV 2, MTV classic, Boomerang, etc… the million dollar question is how is this going to go with those that absolutely do not have broadband access, don’t want to deal with streaming, or legacy dish equipment?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I could see it moving it that direction - or I could see those channels being shut down or done differently. There was an article posted somewhere and those channels you listed are among the most likely to get shut down, as well as FXX and Disney Junior. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the cartoon channels get shut down as the younger kids aren't watching in front of a TV, rather, they are watching on apps on their devices or watching on demand content. Same thing with some of the movie channels - you can get all the movies on demand with the right subscriptions.

Right now on the Dish Anywhere app, the following channels are in HD that are SD on satellite: Boomerang (175), Disney Junior (168), Disney Channel West (173), Disney XD (174), Encore Action (343), Encore Black (345), Encore Classic (346), Encore Family (347), Grit (217), Hallmark Drama (186), Heros and Icons (293), LAFF (237), full-time Longhorn Network (407), MTV2 (161), Nick Jr (169), Nick West (171), Nicktoons (178), Oxygen (127), StartTV (291), Starz Cinema (353), Starz Black (355), Teen Nick (181), Cartoon Network West (177), TV Land (106).

I might have missed some and I am not subscribed to everything, but that communicates the idea. Dish is already streaming those channels if you subscribe to the satellite package with them. If there is something I really want to see in HD, I would link my phone to my TV and project the Dish Anywhere app on the screen.

A lot of those channels fall into the category of either movies or kids shows and I could see the move to making some streaming if they last long.

Pursuit is now in HD, but only available via streaming.

So, picture quality upgrade, but usability downgrade because you can't record streaming channels.

If this is the way of the future, they need to work on a way to have the Hopper 3 capture and record the stream. It already *kinda* does since live TV buffer (pause and rewind) is functional on (most) streaming channels.