Local channel help

Hi everyone,

so we have the local channels. Everything you all suggested worked. Now, I’m using the little antenna that Dish gives away for free. Does that work well enough or do you all recommend a better indoor antenna for us to get the local channels. What brands?
thanks

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi everyone,

so we have the local channels. Everything you all suggested worked. Now, I’m using the little antenna that Dish gives away for free. Does that work well enough or do you all recommend a better indoor antenna for us to get the local channels. What brands?
thanks
Are you seeing the same channels that you saw with your Hopper setup? Were you satisfied with the OTA channels that you got on the Hopper setup? If so you really have no need to go further. If you want the best of the best you need to think about an outdoor antenna. Depending on where your dish is located you might be able to remove the dish from its mount and place an antenna there. You can even use the existing coax as your antenna feed. Once again, if all is well with what you had and now have why trouble yourself.

Well we are using the free antenna Dish gave us and it causes picture problems, likes it’s trying to get a better picture so I thought maybe I should get a better one. The one they gave us is $5.99 on EBay so not a popular one.

What you are seeing is not unusual with indoor antennas. Just your body being around it can cause signal issues. If you are actually in urban Boise or not far away you could do what I suggested and obtain a very small outdoor antenna and attach it to the dish mount that already exists on your property and use the coax that went from the dish to the Hopper as your new antenna feed. All of your transmitting towers are very close to downtown Boise so you would be golden. Your antenna would need to be VHF-UHF because some of your channels are on VHF while most are UHF.

That‘s why I added the link to show where they are. If he is close in he will probably get them all even though they are a bit spread out. After all he is getting them all with that cheapo indoor wall hanger. He could do well with this one from Channel Master:

That‘s why I added the link to show where they are. If he is close in he will probably get them all even though they are a bit spread out. After all he is getting them all with that cheapo indoor wall hanger. He could do well with this one from Channel Master:

I'm not sure how to suggest this, but if he's picking up the signals relatively well with a cheapy indoor, I would think you don't want too strong of an outdoor antenna. I agree a better antenna would be needed (ideally the local stations never break up), but getting TOO much signal to the TV could be just as bad as not having enough signal.

I'm not sure how to suggest this, but if he's picking up the signals relatively well with a cheapy indoor, I would think you don't want too strong of an outdoor antenna. I agree a better antenna would be needed (ideally the local stations never break up), but getting TOO much signal to the TV could be just as bad as not having enough signal.
If that is an issue a simple attenuator, inline, fixes that. That is why I didn’t suggest an amplified antenna.

Are you seeing the same channels that you saw with your Hopper setup? Were you satisfied with the OTA channels that you got on the Hopper setup? If so you really have no need to go further. If you want the best of the best you need to think about an outdoor antenna. Depending on where your dish is located you might be able to remove the dish from its mount and place an antenna there. You can even use the existing coax as your antenna feed. Once again, if all is well with what you had and now have why trouble yourself.
77 channels now. And some are really cool.