1am reboot? Any way to change the time?

I agree but isn't putting inactivity to off insuring the box never goes into standby thus in reality forcing the box to automatically reboot which is exactly what we are trying to avoid?
Any time you press the power button and the green light goes off your receiver, Hopper or Joey, is in standby. It is important to do just that to get updates while you are not watching TV.... The inactivity timer is simply to allow the receiver to go into standby when you fall asleep or forget to shut the receiver off...

Reactions: JSheridan
Any time you press the power button and the green light goes off your receiver, Hopper or Joey, is in standby. It is important to do just that to get updates while you are not watching TV.... The inactivity timer is simply to allow the receiver to go into standby when you fall asleep or forget to shut the receiver off...
That's my point..... if you set inactivity to off you increase the probability of an unwanted reboot.

That's my point..... if you set inactivity to off you increase the probability of an unwanted reboot.

Or, if your Standby is set to 4 hours and you start watching at 9PM then it will shut off at 1AM and start it's procedures.

Really folks, it's really simple. Just turn off your receiver when it is not in use. Inactivity timers won't matter, even set to off, like mine has been on my 811, 722, and Hoppers over a period of over 15 years. Get used to turning the damned things off and you will have less heartache.

Really folks, it's really simple. Just turn off your receiver when it is not in use. Inactivity timers won't matter, even set to off, like mine has been on my 811, 722, and Hoppers over a period of over 15 years. Get used to turning the damned things off and you will have less heartache.
It really does work, when I got my H3 I made sure every thing was off the first night and the next day I had all my icons & logos didn't need to wait 3 days like some.

Ok, so my standby was originally set to 4, and it shut off while I was watching it every night, then I switched it to 8 and still shut off, so my point is what difference does it make if I turn it off at this point? If it force reboots once a week instead once a night, I'm 6 days better than I was. It was shutting off every single night and getting it's updates and it didn't make the issue at hand any better. I wouldn't care that it shut off every night, if it would just let me choose the time it does it, like every other Dish box I've had since 1996.

Ok, so my standby was originally set to 4, and it shut off while I was watching it every night, then I switched it to 8 and still shut off, so my point is what difference does it make if I turn it off at this point? If it force reboots once a week instead once a night, I'm 6 days better than I was. It was shutting off every single night and getting it's updates and it didn't make the issue at hand any better. I wouldn't care that it shut off every night, if it would just let me choose the time it does it, like every other Dish box I've had since 1996.
Are you saying it goes into standby or actually rebooting with the hopper 3 logo?

The H3 is doing some sort of system reset, because my Joeys lose connection, I have not run downstairs to see what the main box is doing, I assumed since it's happening at the same time, that it is some sort of scheduled reset that doesn't warn the Joeys. I am not on the TV directly connected to the H3 when this happens, as I've said, it is only happening, with no warning, when I'm watching on my joeys.

So what could conceivably be happening is that the H3 goes into standby because the activity on the Joeys is not considered "activity", and since it's in standby it does it's maintenance reset and has no mechanism to warn viewers on the joey extenders that it's about to reset.

You mean the thing I recommended and others said would make it worse actually worked? What a surprise. :biggrin

I'm glad that it worked for you. :)
Both my Hoppers are set to 4 Hours, and since the new UI, I've never had 1 am reboots.
I've never had any issues in that aspect.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: peggy97850
In the new UI, (regardless of HwS vs Hopper 3) it was changed so that the box will not try to do the nightly update unless it was in already in standby. The only time you should see a message is when your TV is on and you haven't touched the remote for X hours after the end of the first program you watched, where X is what the inactivity standby is set to.

In order for the Hopper to perform the nightly update, all of the Joeys have to be in standby as well.

That being said, if a box hasn't done a nightly update for 72 hours, when it reaches that time, it will just reset with no onscreen messaging. Nothing will prevent this reset, not even timers.

As long as you leave inactivity standby enabled on all of the receivers in the home, there shouldn't be any issues. The Joeys will perform the reset anytime they are in standby overnight, as will the Hopper once everything is resetting or in standby.

In the new UI, (regardless of HwS vs Hopper 3) it was changed so that the box will not try to do the nightly update unless it was in already in standby. The only time you should see a message is when your TV is on and you haven't touched the remote for X hours after the end of the first program you watched, where X is what the inactivity standby is set to.

In order for the Hopper to perform the nightly update, all of the Joeys have to be in standby as well.

That being said, if a box hasn't done a nightly update for 72 hours, when it reaches that time, it will just reset with no onscreen messaging. Nothing will prevent this reset, not even timers.

As long as you leave inactivity standby enabled on all of the receivers in the home, there shouldn't be any issues. The Joeys will perform the reset anytime they are in standby overnight, as will the Hopper once everything is resetting or in standby.

So the Joey's reset and reboot also? Do they do it independently from the Hopper? IOW, they don't wait for the Hopper to reset first?

I understand what you're saying, but this was not happening on my H3, the joeys were not registering as "activity" by my H3 and it was shutting down while I was watching recordings or live TV on the joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts